B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome? | Page 19 | The Boneyard

B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome?

If we accept B12 invite, what is the likeliest result in 10 years.

• Beyond wildest dreams - Football gets good, Basketball thrives, fans embrace, rest of AD boosted

• Status Quo - Basketball thrives, football stuck in mud, fanbase is neutral, rest of AD stat quo

• Mostly disappointing - Basketball falters, football inconsistent, fanbase nostalgic, AD dips

• House on Fire - Basketball does AAC v2, Football mostly losing seasons, fanbase in flames, AD crisis

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
Question for basketball,

Can we win a national championship in the Big East? Yes

Can we win a national championship in the Big 12? Yes

Question for football,

Can we win a national championship as an independent? No

Can we win a national championship in the Big 12? Yes

So the Big 12 is the best option.
We got some non believers, in here. That’s a losers mentality.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
MSG is nothing these days. They can't compete with the T-Mobile Arena in Kansas City. They have the Professional Bull Riders Kansas City Outlaws and Nickelback coming to town.
Sarcasm?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The Big East tournament is still a big deal to a lot of people who grew up with UConn Syracuse Pitt, etc. but it's living on memory.

This year's Marquette Xavier Big "East" final with a team from Milwaukee and Cincinnati had a get in the door price of $25. I'm sorry, as I generally agree with you @CTBasketball but New York City was absolutely not set ablaze with this.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sarcasm?
Yes, clearly from @superjohn. It's not nothing. But it's also not some the mythical building it was to people outside metro NYC. The BE tournament itself is fantastic, I'm not suggesting otherwise. It's a positive for sure, but I don't think the rest of the country looks at the BET and says, our tournaments suck because we're not at MSG. Syracuse fans probably feel that way, and the BET was better with them, painful as it is to say that.

Reaction Score
The Big East tournament is still a big deal to a lot of people who grew up with UConn Syracuse Pitt, etc. but it's living on memory.

This year's Marquette Xavier Big "East" final with a team from Milwaukee and Cincinnati had a get in the door price of $25. I'm sorry, as I generally agree with you @CTBasketball but New York City was absolutely not set ablaze with this.
To be fair the price was that low from UConn (and Creighton) fans dumping their tickets. Would have been a lot more had we beaten MQ

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, clearly from @superjohn. It's not nothing. But it's also not some the mythical building it was to people outside metro NYC. The BE tournament itself is fantastic, I'm not suggesting otherwise. It's a positive for sure, but I don't think the rest of the country looks at the BET and says, our tournaments suck because we're not at MSG. Syracuse fans probably feel that way, and the BET was better with them, painful as it is to say that.
Syracuse fans do make the trip down from Canada to MSG in decent numbers. And I've always had good/funny interaction with them in the Garden.

Yeah, I don't think anybody says, golly our tournaments OK but I wish it was in New York City. But, the big east tournament in New York City is definitely known as an event, even outside of our conference.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
To be fair the price was that low from UConn (and Creighton) fans dumping their tickets. Would have been a lot more had we beaten MQ

I mean, that's sort of my point? The buzz for the old Big East or 16 team Big East was that you were almost assuredly guaranteed a big time title bout (if you will).

This current iteration of the league doesn't have the same juice whatsoever. It's a very good league, but the old Big East tournament was a premier event.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I attended the 1982 tournament in Hartford and well over half of the tournaments in the Garden (a higher percentage if you excluded the years UConn was not part of the conference).

The only tournaments at the Garden where you could purchase tickets through the box office shortly before the start of the tournament were during years UConn was in the AAC.

Reaction Score
I attended the 1982 tournament in Hartford and well over half of the tournaments in the Garden (a higher percentage if you excluded the years UConn was not part of the conference).

The only tournaments at the Garden where you could purchase tickets through the box office shortly before the start of the tournament were during years UConn was in the AAC.
Glad you went, did you get to see the Villanova national championship teams in the Big East title games?

Reaction Score
7t75wx.jpg

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm not worried about a conference tournament in KC. UConn's road to championships has mostly come far from home. Maybe playing in a more hostile environment would help us. No doubt about it Sprint Center will be Lawrence in the way MSG is Storrs south, but there will be plenty of fans from all the teams, just like BET.

I don't think the BET at MSG is the selling point with kids today that it was 30 years ago. There's no nostalgia left. MSG isn't the big deal it was back when Howard Cosell was around.

I think our March success comes in part from being battle tested and I think the Big XII would be just as good as the Big East for that.
I think the tournaments are different because they’re suppose to be neutral sites. Conference tournaments in a conference where we are the geographical outlier.

I wouldn’t sign up to potentially have a 2009 Final Four scenario every year against Kansas to win the conference tourney. That’s just an unnecessary competitive disadvantage when we currently have that advantage.

MSG might not mean anything to a Texas Tech, but it’s a part of our history and it’s a selling point in people interested in our program. And to the media in general.

If we’re in the Big 12 we don’t see Kemba’s step back and Ray Allen’s runner every year to preview the tournament.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
but I don't think the rest of the country looks at the BET and says, our tournaments suck because we're not at MSG
They absolutely do. Why do you think the B1G moved their tournament schedule up a week to try it at MSG? How did that work out? Why do you think the ACC tries Brooklyn the same week and is giving away 4 dollar tickets while the BET is 150 for nosebleeds on the same day for secondary market? Give me a break. The only tourney that has any legs is the dying Pac12 because they moved it to Vegas.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I don't think the BET at MSG is the selling point with kids today that it was 30 years ago. There's no nostalgia left. MSG isn't the big deal it was back when Howard Cosell was around.

I can tell you obviously want UConn to go to the Big XII. Just make the argument that it will be a lot more money and beneficial to almost every sport in the athletic department, and give us a better chance at having a seat at the table if and when the bigger schools break off. You don't have to try to convince people of absurd arguments like the above. Losing the Big East Tournament would be a huge blow. You can acknowledge that while still making a convincing argument for leaving the conference. It just comes off as condescending when you try to make arguments like this.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
They absolutely do. Why do you think the B1G moved their tournament schedule up a week to try it at MSG? How did that work out? Why do you think the ACC tries Brooklyn the same week and is giving away 4 dollar tickets while the BET is 150 for nosebleeds on the same day for secondary market? Give me a break. The only tourney that has any legs is the dying Pac12 because they moved it to Vegas.

The get in the door price to the BE finals were $25 this year.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
This current iteration of the league doesn't have the same juice whatsoever. It's a very good league, but the old Big East tournament was a premier event.

You're comparing the current league to what was the greatest basketball conference of all-time. It may not have the same juice as when the league was getting 11 teams into the tournament, but it's still pretty damn special.

Reaction Score
They just keep at it with the disengeuous arguments.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm not at all sure that that's true. I feel like a number of Connecticut players talked about playing at MSG. It continues to be a big deal. And seeing a UConn game there, is an absolute blast.

That's probably the thing that bothers me the most about joining the big 12, assuming we get an invitation. I still think it's the right call, but leaving the big east tournament behind is tough.
You’re coming around I see.

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

Game was still sold out, wasn’t all with Marquette/Xavier fans, but a sell out is a sell out.

August_West

Reaction Score

LOL. You're trying too hard now.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There is something very special about MSG, even more in a tournament setting, this cannot be questioned.

That said, anyone who believes that the current incarnation of the BET is anywhere close to what it was is kidding themself.

August_West

Reaction Score
You're comparing the current league to what was the greatest basketball conference of all-time. It may not have the same juice as when the league was getting 11 teams into the tournament, but it's still pretty damn special.

and still has more juice x2 than ANY conf tourney. Its not even close.

CL82

Reaction Score
Im here on her behalf preserving what is right for future UConn generations.
Nerd Taxes GIF by Verohallinto

"No honey, I can't change her diaper! I am too busy preserving what is right for future UConn generations!!"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom