B12 and ACC on the clock! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

B12 and ACC on the clock!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If this flirtation with the B12 doesn't yield an emergency invite by the ACC, then hopefully it comes together and with the concept of adding some of the old guard BE schools as BB only. Its a little scary to think about going all sports to the B12 on an island. You take it, because this state cannot refuse the significant revenue upgrade, but it might work better for us if Nova, SJ and Gtown were part of the deal (isn't the vision here to fill MSG on occasion with UConn-Kansas, SJ- WVU, Nova-Baylor type games?). As for the rest of the BE, they will do fine - there will still be a couple conferences that are atop the BB only pool, but not in the power football pool. As for us, we cannot risk it - waiting around for a different bus... if the B12 comes our way, we have to get on.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Moving from the Big East to the ACC causes teams to suck.
Moving from the Big East to the ACC has a positive correlation to sucking.
Either way, Fork that!
Seriously though, there is more than enough reason to be concerned and UCONN is in a very strong position.
UCONN has been in the news more than any other university these past few weeks. It would be interesting if someone could quantify the value of that media bonus to the University and to the state.
$1.2 million per school over six years is the value of the big east NCAA tournament credits.

(You’re a presumption of causation above is unproven, just saying.)

CL82

Reaction Score
If this flirtation with the B12 doesn't yield an emergency invite by the ACC, then hopefully it comes together and with the concept of adding some of the old guard BE schools as BB only. Its a little scary to think about going all sports to the B12 on an island. You take it, because this state cannot refuse the significant revenue upgrade, but it might work better for us if Nova, SJ and Gtown were part of the deal (isn't the vision here to fill MSG on occasion with UConn-Kansas and SJ- WVU type games). As for the rest of the BE, they will do fine - there will still be a couple conferences that are atop the BB only pool, but not in the power football pool. As for us, we cannot risk it - waiting around for a different bus... if the B12 comes our way, we have to get on.
Agree, although I don’t think the math works for adding basketball only schools, for reasons I’ve discussed before.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Agree, although I don’t think the math works for adding basketball only schools, for reasons I’ve discussed before.
Yeah, it might not. Depends on what the BE is worth going forward and frankly that is hard to assess from the couch. Media folk have their prism, sometimes they over pay for a loss leader to anchor their platform and sometimes they operate on conservative value oriented metrics. Where the BE lands in this next contract is difficult to say at this hr. Need the P12 situation to resolve itself.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
$1.2 million per school over six years is the value of the big east NCAA tournament credits.

(You’re a presumption of causation above is unproven, just saying.)
And yet you equate our media boost to NCAA credits, just saying.

"Athletics are the front porch of the university. It's not the most important room in the house, but it is the most visible."

CL82

Reaction Score
And yet you equate our media boost to NCAA credits, just saying.

"Athletics are the front porch of the university. It's not the most important room in the house, but it is the most visible."
No, I was just trying to answer your question. I didn’t understand what you meant by “media bonus.” Apparently what you meant was some notion of the brand value of winning another national championship. It definitely exists, but it is tough to quantify.

Reaction Score
Moving from the Big East to the ACC causes teams to suck.
Moving from the Big East to the ACC has a positive correlation to sucking.
Either way, Fork that!
Seriously though, there is more than enough reason to be concerned and UCONN is in a very strong position.
UCONN has been in the news more than any other university these past few weeks. It would be interesting if someone could quantify the value of that media bonus to the University and to the state.

How many teams have voluntarily left a P5 conference for the NBE or any other non P5 conference? It’s a very short list for a reason.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yeah, it might not. Depends on what the BE is worth going forward and frankly that is hard to assess from the couch. Media folk have their prism, sometimes they over pay for a loss leader to anchor their platform and sometimes they operate on conservative value oriented metrics. Where the BE lands in this next contract is difficult to say at this hr. Need the P12 situation to resolve itself.
Trying to quantify what would be “enough money” to justify a move to the big 12, I came up with this:

1) Best likely scenario for big east broadcast rate revenue in the new contract: $8M

2) Herbst said that by moving to the big east, we saved approximately $2 million a year in travel costs. Let’s assume that that would be the same as travel cost of the big 12, although it may be more.

3) Assuming the above points are correct a basketball only broadcast rights distribution in the big 12 of $10 million would be breakeven for any current Big East schools.

4) No school would move for breakeven, so the big 12 would have to be offering some significant amount above that to induce schools to move. Let’s assume that the lowest amount which would maybe make the move worthwhile is $12M. It may well need to be more than this.

5) Based upon Notre Dame’s deal with the ACC. The basketball only portion of a broadcast rates deal is worth no more than 20% of the whole.

6) In order to pay former big east conference schools $12 million as a basketball only, without diluting any schools existing shares, the big 12 would have to be earning $60 million per school in broadcast rights. It isn’t.

So, unless they find a media partner who is willing to pay the big east schools, more than fair market value, or unless the existing big 12 schools agree to take a reduced share to bring in the big east schools, the numbers don’t appear to work.

(It is possible, though that ESPN or fox might be willing to pay the top Big East schools a premium over FMV, because it will be cheaper than paying the entire conference 8 million per school.)

Reaction Score
No, I was just trying to answer your question. I didn’t understand what you meant by “media bonus.” Apparently what you meant was some notion of the brand value of winning another national championship. It definitely exists, but it is tough to quantify.
I'm not saying turn down a nice offer. At the same time, there is the choice of going after the money and possibly sucking, ala SU and BCU. If you don't make the money in media rights fees but win natties, what's that worth? We don't know. But maybe it helps cover the deficit. Who knows, it's all a crap shoot. To @Beachview 's point, lots of SU posters are thinking of scenarios assuming the ACC dissolves and where to go from there. It's all good.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Go on the Syracuse message board and see how many posters wish syracuse was in the big east
Its easy for people that don't write checks to want things.

Syracuse could never afford the deficits the state tax payers of CT fund to make UConn sports go.

B12 is hardly ideal....but what else that is not ideal is fiscal fantasy we have been operating under.

Dan Hurley needs to get paid. The B12 has the revenues to allow us to keep him.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Trying to quantify what would be “enough money” to justify a move to the big 12, I came up with this:

1) Best lightly scenario for big east broadcast rate revenue in the new contract: $8M

2) Herbst said that by moving to the big east, we saved approximately $2 million a year in travel costs. Let’s assume that that would be the same as travel cost of the big 12, although it may be more.

3) Assuming the above points are correct a basketball only broadcast rights distribution in the big 12 of $10 million would be breakeven for any current Big East schools.

4) No school would move for breakeven, so the big 12 would have to be offering some significant amount above that to induce schools to move. Let’s assume that the lowest amount which would maybe make the move worthwhile $12M. It may well need to be more than this.

5) Based upon Notre Dame’s deal with the ACC. The basketball only portion of a broadcast rates deal is worth no more than 20% of the whole.

6) in order to pay former big east conference schools $12 million as a basketball only, without diluting any schools existing shares, the big 12 would have to be earning $60 million per school in broadcast rights. It isn’t.

So, unless they find a media partner who is willing to pay the big east schools, more than fair market value, or unless the existing big 12 schools agree to take a reduced share to bring in the big east schools, the numbers don’t appear to work.
Your summary makes a lot of sense.

The unknown here - tv slot times (what if the next BE deal is 70% streaming - does that change the calculus?).
What if Fox is just overly confident that a mega B12 (B12 + the four BE coastals) is just a property they want to create to anchor their programming and thus pay up for. What if its about more than eyeballs, but also the quality of the eyeballs. IDK - we shall see.

Nothing happens until the P12's fate is decided first.

Reaction Score
No thanks to the Big 12 and ACC. Big 12 would be great for basketball, but so is the Big East and we actually have history with BE schools. The only Big 12 schools I give a crap about in basketball are Kansas, Baylor, and maybe WVU. That conference will become meaningless in football once Texas and OU leave. We obviously have a lot of history with some of the ACC schools, but no one knows if that conference will get gutted or not, rather not take the chance. B1G would be a great fit, but they will never take us with how bad the football program is and how little potential it has. I know that football rules the college landscape, but after learning the hard way with the AAC debacle, we need to first and foremost ensure that our basketball programs are set up to continue dominating.

The new Big 12 members have won the last two Big 12 titles (Texas and OU were not in them) with Top 10 teams and have two CFP teams. They're doing fine without Texas and Oklahoma. And if you take out OU and Texas ratings the new Big 12 is still #3 behind only rhe Big Ten and the SEC. And that's not even counting huge annual promotional events like the Pro Day in Dallas

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm not saying turn down a nice offer. At the same time, there is the choice of going after the money and possibly sucking, ala SU and BCU. If you don't make the money in media rights fees but win natties, what's that worth? We don't know. But maybe it helps cover the deficit. Who knows, it's all a crap shoot. To @Beachview 's point, lots of SU posters are thinking of scenarios assuming the ACC dissolves and where to go from there. It's all good.
I hear you, but I’m pretty confident that whatever the value is of the increased presence of winning a national championship is, it’s not worth $30 million.

Personally, I reject the notion that Connecticut could win national championships in the ACC. None of the Big East schools that moved to the ACC were national champions, unless you’re willing to ignore that huge*beside Syracuse’s one Natty. Boston College sucked before they went to the ACC, they sucked afterwards. Except for a momentary burst, Pittsburgh hasn’t really been a basketball power. Syracuse is an utter train wreck, but that has more to do with Jim Boeheim, then their conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
I hear you, but I’m pretty confident that whatever the value is of the increased presence of winning a national championship is, it’s not worth $30 million.

Personally, I reject the notion that Connecticut could win national championships in the ACC. None of the Big East schools that moved to the ACC were national champions, unless you’re willing to ignore that huge*beside Syracuse’s one Natty. Boston College sucked before they went to the ACC, they sucked afterwards. Except for a momentary burst, Pittsburgh hasn’t really been a basketball power. Syracuse is an utter train wreck, but that has more to do with Jim Boeheim, then their conference affiliation.

Louisville had a national title before jumping to the ACC.

Reaction Score
Go on the Syracuse message board and see how many posters wish syracuse was in the big east
I can confirm there’s a lot, I was just browsing it. A lot of UConn envy too

Reaction Score
I would love UConn to be a part of that.
Big conference championship game. 2 conference tournaments with the winner of the South playing the winner of the North. That would be a final four match up.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

This is not entirely accurate, vis a vie Boston College.

BC was really good in the first few years of their ACC existence. They got to #2 in the Matty ICE years, but have been fair since, in not winning more than 7 games since 2010, with a 1-5 bowl record, but only 4 losing seasons.

IMO, BC should have been disqualified from conference realignment in 1996, but that aside, their downfall began when Gene DeFilippo got too big for his britches and made the ultimatum to Jeff Jagodzinski, who had the gall to interview with the Jets.

Don't let the fact that they could hardly ever beat UConn fool you on the basketball side. BC was very good in the 15 or so years leading up to the defection, including the Jared Dudley years that straddled the two conferences, but they haven't made the Tournament since 2009 and then fired the popular Al Skinner.

BC might have lost their identity, but the ACC doesn't need them to be good, and they don't need WEEI or The Sports Hub to cover college athletics. The ACC has a solid foothold in the 6th/7th largest media market, where Southern NE contributes to ACCN carriage fees whether it is watched or not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You people who think UCONN got back on track just because of the Big East are out of your mind. It's 80% Hurley 20% getting out of the AAC. If we hired Hurley and then joined the ACC or BiG we would still be cutting down the nets.

Go ask St John's about Big East magic, they haven't been relevant in 25 years. They will win now because of Pitino, which just proves it's all about the coaches.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is not entirely accurate, vis a vie Boston College.

BC was really good in the first few years of their ACC existence. They got to #2 in the Matty ICE years, but have been fair since, in not winning more than 7 games since 2010, with a 1-5 bowl record, but only 4 losing seasons.

IMO, BC should have been disqualified from conference realignment in 1996, but that aside, their downfall began when Gene DeFilippo got too big for his britches and made the ultimatum to Jeff Jagodzinski, who had the gall to interview with the Jets.

Don't let the fact that they could hardly ever beat UConn fool you on the basketball side. BC was very good in the 15 or so years leading up to the defection, including the Jared Dudley years that straddled the two conferences, but they haven't made the Tournament since 2009 and then fired the popular Al Skinner.

BC might have lost their identity, but the ACC doesn't need them to be good, and they don't need WEEI or The Sports Hub to cover college athletics. The ACC has a solid foothold in the 6th/7th largest media market, where Southern NE contributes to ACCN carriage fees whether it is watched or not.
Fair, I’m pretty sure they won at least one ACC championship, too, which would lead to the conclusion that conference affiliation isn’t, what did them in.

Reaction Score
There was a excitement during the big East season and into the big east tournament that I don’t see happening in any other conference…the only argument that makes any sense is with our football team and money

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Fair, I’m pretty sure they won at least one ACC championship, too, which would lead to the conclusion that conference affiliation isn’t, what did them in.
Not directly. I think they got their money, and made a conscious decision to...not necessarily to de-emphasize. They aren't UHa, but...not promote athletics. Exhibit 1 is their facilities, or lack thereof.

Reaction Score
Posters does not equal administrators. Also you'll find plenty of level headed posters that realize the ACC isn't why they suck. It was letting Boeheim stick around too long and letting his kids be focal point of the teams. They probably will have to go through multiple coaches to get it right, but they will likely find the next guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom