Azzi :( | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Azzi :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First of all the team has not been 'completely devastated' by injuries this season. They lost a kid who wasn't going to see many minutes in El Alfy and if you thought Azzi was going to make it through the year without missing any time then you were flat out delusional.

She clearly has a compromised physiology insofar as her knees are concerned-this is now TWO non-contact ACL tears within, what, 5 years? She unfortunately reminds me of her mom who was also a prolific prep talent and collegiate performer but whose future was compromised by-you guessed it-chronic knee injuries.

As they say folks, the best predictor of future injury is......wait for it.....a history of injuries. This was entirely foreseeable as an outcome, if not the term then certainly the occurrence.

Geno has four freshman and two sophomores that will now need to play a TON for this season to not run completely off the rails. And he might want to think about encouraging Fudd to think about a medical retirement because it's pretty clear her body just isn't going to hold up to the rigors of college basketball much less the WNBA.

(Oh, and pro tip-it might be time to stop double shifting Bueckers and concede a few L's in the name of keeping her healthy for the post season).

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
It's Crazy the way these injuries are happening to our program. Feel bad for that young lady. Just hope her mental ok.
Yup. In addition to the pre-op rehab that she is probably doing already, hopefully there has also been a "hey, how are you doing" discussion with someone, that has nothing to do with her physically. When I tore my YKW in the other knee years ago, the director of the rehab place came over and asked how I was doing, and I said, well, it didn't hurt as much as the first one. He then asked, NO, how are YOU doing, and then explained that when he sees repeat injuries, he worries about the mental aspect, as when you rehab after the 1st surgery, it's all new. After the second, you know all the details, all the agonizingly boring, repetitive, small things that some days either don't result in any, or microscopic gains. That's what bears on you.

Reaction Score
So sad for her. Yet another rehab routine will be difficult even with all the support she has around her. I don't know if playing basketball will be a part of her future but I'm confident that her future will be bright.

Reaction Score
maybe it will sway Paige into sticking around.
I doubt Paige wants to be playing college ball at 25. Pro careers are short and she needs to get paid (although with NIL she probably makes more in college than she will as a pro, so who knows.).

Reaction Score
I doubt Paige wants to be playing college ball at 25. Pro careers are short and she needs to get paid (although with NIL she probably makes more in college than she will as a pro, so who knows.).
She's 24?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Bob Joyce tweet:

This is the second time Azzi Fudd has torn the ACL in her right knee. She tore her Right ACL & MCL in 2019 while playing for the US - U18 3x3 team that required two surgeries.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Man she can’t catch a break. Really sorry to hear, it has been a brutal stretch for her. I hope she recovers 100% and is injury free here on out.

Reaction Score
Is this the same injury she suffered in high school or was that the other knee?

Reaction Score
So sad for Azzi. Wishing for a full recovery. She will come back stronger.

Reaction Score
Just crushed for Azzi, she deserves far better.

I remember about a week ago the word was they had to wait for the swelling to go down in order to accomplish an MRI.....that sounded so very, very, ominous.

Reaction Score
Paige seems to be doing very well with her recovery from a couple of knee surgeries. Azzi could use some techniques, strategies, etc. that Paige did to get to this point. Nothing is apples-to-apples but there has to be some shared knowledge that is vital.

Reaction Score
at this point she may just need to move on with her life. Even if she is able to play at all for what is remaining of college, no professional team will gamble on that extensive injury history.
Hurts me to say it, but I think I agree. It would be an incredibly difficult decision for her -- but she needs to at least consider the Shea Ralph story and look seriously at a career in coaching.

Reaction Score
First thought is for a speedy recovery both physical and mental. Wouldn't you wonder with all the technological advances in sports medicine that they could structure a knee brace suitable for game conditions? I would think that something more than just another surgical fix is in order here. This young lady is going to be tenative (was she already this year?) even after another lengthy healing process and recovery and rehab and practice and on and on. Moreover, the history of similar injuries, dating back to high school, is a deeper concern. Whatever can be done, should be done, Azzi is one of a kind and deserving of better...

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
at this point she may just need to move on with her life. Even if she is able to play at all for what is remaining of college, no professional team will gamble on that extensive injury history.

LarryLegend - didn't want to say it but was my immediate reaction when I read the news. I did a search and it confirmed that is was her right knee in high school. Same knee gain.

Fortunately she has a great support group around her with her parents and teammates and coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Just heartbreaking. I really really feel for her and this team. They have gone through sooo much. I know they will support her and play for her this season. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Gut bunch indeed. I feel certain the UConn team(s) will take good care of/for her. Hopefully she follows Paige's rehab routine and returns stronger than ever. Godspeed Azzi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom