Azzi without crutches? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Azzi without crutches?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What report are you referring to? I am under the impression that actual medical information is no longer being made public, based on what the AD stated a couple of weeks ago.
I agree with your assessment but only because during the game that she reinjured her name, it appears that when she returned to the bench, she was manipulating her knee to show Paige what was going on.
I have not seen a report either.

The contact that she had in the Georgetown game appeared to be incidental contact of leg to leg between two players that, when it happened, caused a great degree of flexion and sufficient pain that made her stop, rub her knee and walk gingerly on that leg. Shortly afterwords there was concern enough which led to the precautions of non play and two weeks of non weight bearing on that leg. That can be construed as precautionary but it can also mean that there is a weakness of the support ligaments attached to the knee that do not provide stability and bracing when the knee receives contact. The mobility she demonstrated on the bench would demonstrate that a tear in the ligaments was unlikely which reduces the known outcome that she was no longer able to play this season but in of itself would not be definitive. An MRI would be needed to confirm it and we have no information on that.

An argument can be made that the type of situation Azzi is facing in her knee does not fall into a category that the medical field has a definitive modality of treatment other than rest. And the outcomes such as length of time needed or whether there can be a prediction of a complete vs partial restoration of health long term could be unknown.

Reaction Score
I have not seen a report either.

The contact that she had in the Georgetown game appeared to be incidental contact of leg to leg between two players that, when it happened, caused a great degree of flexion and sufficient pain that made her stop, rub her knee and walk gingerly on that leg. Shortly afterwords there was concern enough which led to the precautions of non play and two weeks of non weight bearing on that leg. That can be construed as precautionary but it can also mean that there is a weakness of the support ligaments attached to the knee that do not provide stability and bracing when the knee receives contact. The mobility she demonstrated on the bench would demonstrate that a tear in the ligaments was unlikely which reduces the known outcome that she was no longer able to play this season but in of itself would not be definitive. An MRI would be needed to confirm it and we have no information on that.

An argument can be made that the type of situation Azzi is facing in her knee does not fall into a category that the medical field has a definitive modality of treatment other than rest. And the outcomes such as length of time needed or whether there can be a prediction of a complete vs partial restoration of health long term could be unknown.
Geno has already said they did an MRI and there was no tearing or damage to the ligaments. He also said the the non-weight bearing was precautionary and to help expedite healing, not that her knee wasn't stable enough to support her.

Your second paragraph is correct though - rest is the treatment for her injury and they don't know how long exactly it will take. The hope seems to be that the two weeks of immobilization will have helped significantly so she can at least start normal rehab soon. We will see though.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What report are you referring to? I am under the impression that actual medical information is no longer being made public, based on what the AD stated a couple of weeks ago.
I agree with your assessment but only because during the game that she reinjured her name, it appears that when she returned to the bench, she was manipulating her knee to show Paige what was going on.
I made the assumption believing that if there was new structural damage Azzi would have had a procedure done, and would be gone for the season. Instead they took their time to carefully assess her knee, then said they'd immobilize it and reassess after two weeks. Yes, they're all assumptions on my part, and perhaps I'm wrong. But as someone that has knee problems I have a small idea how clinicians think.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I guess for clarity on the confusion of the title- Azzi is/was still on crutches at the game yesterday. The various sound bites seem to be that the crutches allow Azzi to put more weight on the leg but she is still using them.

It sounds like Caroline is closer to a return than Azzi is. Patience, they say, is a virture and rarely exhibited on this platform. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I made the assumption believing that if there was new structural damage Azzi would have had a procedure done, and would be gone for the season. Instead they took their time to carefully assess her knee, then said they'd immobilize it and reassess after two weeks. Yes, they're all assumptions on my part, and perhaps I'm wrong. But as someone that has knee problems I have a small idea how clinicians think.
Your assumption is correct and already confirmed by Geno that there was no new structural damage to Azzi's knee. The only thing I was disagreeing with is that the assumption the two week timeline started when the media became aware. The media only became aware because there was pre-game press on the Friday before one of our games, Butler I think. The actual clock on two week rest probably happened the day she was assessed, Monday of two weeks ago- meaning the time for reassessment was yesterday or today.

Reaction Score
I guess for clarity on the confusion of the title- Azzi is/was still on crutches at the game yesterday. The various sound bites seem to be that the crutches allow Azzi to put more weight on the leg but she is still using them.

It sounds like Caroline is closer to a return than Azzi is. Patience, they say, is a virture and rarely exhibited on this platform. :rolleyes:
I'm curious as to why you think this? Geno was asked specifically about Caroline in the press conference. I think they will likely return the same game or one game apart. I don't think there is much reason to think one is a head of the other at this point.

Reaction Score
@Conndog if you look closely, just behind the chairs by Ice's feet you will see some of the husky arm pads that Azzi has for her crutches on the floor.
That’s okay, my point is that she is standing and even moving without supporting herself on the crutches. That is a good sign.

Reaction Score
why do you say people who have a different opinion are dumb? I ignored it when you said it about me, but now you have said it again. I would suggest "dumb" is not a good to use towards a fellow Husky fan. You can disagree and explain, as you do here saying it upsets chemistry. But Geno brought Azzi back for a few minutes off the bench when he thought he could, and I believe if she is ready he will bring her back again, off the bench for a few minutes at first late in the regular season, then off the bench for a few minutes more in the BE tourney, and finally I see her as coming off the bench to give Nika, Lou and maybe Aubrey some rest or spell them if they get some fouls. Might get her up to 15 minutes a game for the final four. I think we are stronger with her than without her and we likely need her. You think some of us are dumb for saying that. I guess we can just wait and see how it plays out. If she is ready, will Geno bring her back this season. If he does you can say you think Geno is dumb for doing that. Good luck to you in life. Good saying: "Be kind whenever possible; it is always possible."
I agree with @Ralph ... IF Azzi had not been "bumped" in that game a few weeks back, she would be playing and contributing, either off the bench or as a starter (Geno's call!!!). BUT, more importantly, IF Azzi if is Healthy enough to play in the next week(s), it makes perfect sense to have her in the "bag of tricks" at Geno's disposal. After the Villanova game on Sunday, there was a significant uproar from some BYers in a thread about playing the bench. IF Azzi is healthy enough to play, she provides the very best possible sub for Nika, Lou and perhaps Aubrey for a handful of minutes of rest. (Hard to beat the #1 recruit from a few years ago as a sub...) In Sunday's game, Aubrey had 4 fouls, Lou had 3 (if I recall correctly)...and Nika, Lou and Aubrey all showed signs of fatigue. There was no legitimate relief in the form of a Guard to send in. Ayanna will be a good one with time, but she is NOT a Guard. I like Ines, but she is very young and is not ready for a game of that magnitude.

Maybe I'll be called "dumb" for these thoughts, but as has been stated multiple times, this is a Discussion Board... where people express their opinions... That's what I am doing... as well as @Ralph ...

Sorry...Not Sorry.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sorry if mentioned before but did anyone else hear Vianni say she expects to see Azzi in about 2 weeks? I thought I heard her say that during the 1st half.

Reaction Score
I, for one, am grateful that we have folks with medical expertise on this panel. Seems to be consistent with the direction telemedicine is going these days, especially since office hours gave way to online consultation.

Maybe we BYers should form a registry of our current or former professions, so readers will know if we are speaking with any authority, e.g.,

-- medical
-- law
-- school administrator
-- coach
-- trainer/physiotherapist
-- agent
-- former jock
-- couch potato fan

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
UConn Women’s Basketball posted a video on Facebook with the caption "The Huskies fought for a BIG win yesterday!" that shows Azzi on her crutches yesterday.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I, for one, am grateful that we have folks with medical expertise on this panel. Seems to be consistent with the direction telemedicine is going these days, especially since office hours gave way to online consultation.

Maybe we BYers should form a registry of our current or former professions, so readers will know if we are speaking with any authority, e.g.,

-- medical
-- law
-- school administrator
-- coach
-- trainer/physiotherapist
-- agent
-- former jock
-- couch potato fan
All the above because I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express more than once. :):rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'm curious as to why you think this? Geno was asked specifically about Caroline in the press conference. I think they will likely return the same game or one game apart. I don't think there is much reason to think one is a head of the other at this point.
Per Geno-Caroline is 2-5 games away and has been working out without much incident. Azzi is still on crutches, not putting full weight on her leg and has not been working out. Caroline could be ready by next week, there is no way that Azzi will be ready next week. We have seen this protocol before, light workouts, comments by Geno that "x" player has been making progress but is not quite ready, pregame shooting, then noted dressed but not playing status. With luck, Caroline will dress, perform in pregame shoot around but not play in any games over the next week which would signify how close she is. As for Azzi, still to be determined so yeah, I think one is signficantly further than the other at this point. But again, with concussions, all subject to change.

Reaction Score
Per Geno-Caroline is 2-5 games away and has been working out without much incident. Azzi is still on crutches, not putting full weight on her leg and has not been working out. Caroline could be ready by next week, there is no way that Azzi will be ready next week. We have seen this protocol before, light workouts, comments by Geno that "x" player has been making progress but is not quite ready, pregame shooting, then noted dressed but not playing status. With luck, Caroline will dress, perform in pregame shoot around but not play in any games over the next week which would signify how close she is. As for Azzi, still to be determined so yeah, I think one is signficantly further than the other at this point. But again, with concussions, all subject to change.
I don't think this is accurate. Only Azzi and Patterson have participated in pre-game warm-ups in games they didn't play in. Nika, Dorka, and Caroline have returned without that multi-step pregame process, which is quite unusual in the first place.

That being said - I don't think Azzi being on crutches means the time frame for her getting on the court is any longer that Carolines. She could be taken off crutches today and given approval for full workouts and be available for 10 minutes starting next week. Grace Berger was on crutches for her knee one week and playing the next. Conversely, her knee could still be unhealed until April.

I think they both have similarly unpredictable injuries but think they will both be back the same week, if not the same game. My guess would be around Marquette/Georgetown games. But we will see.

Reaction Score
My question is how much confidence will Azzi have in the knee when she returns and how will that affect her desire to drive into traffic and to play defense?

Reaction Score
My question is how much confidence will Azzi have in the knee when she returns and how will that affect her desire to drive into traffic and to play defense?
That is my concern as well. I think when Azzi comes back we just need a solid three point shooter. I'd be ok with her taking it easy drives and even her midrange game. Her just being on the court will open up the floor and take the burden off of Lou.

Reaction Score
Honestly I don't think we'll see Azzi before the NCAA's which is where if she can play will be really needed!
Until then hope Caroline will be ok for the Big East Tournament
I don’t know what to think about CD, not much information. Is the current concussion concern somehow related to her earlier neck issues? Is there something more than we have been hearing about?

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I don’t know what to think about CD, not much information. Is the current concussion concern somehow related to her earlier neck issues? Is there something more than we have been hearing about?
We only know that Caroline is in the concussion protocol. I don't know if you can be in the protocol but not have a concussion diagnosis. I speculated that it was because she received an elbow to the side of her head in the last game that she played in. And in some of her previous games she was seen with an ice pack on her head just like she had in her last game. But pure speculation.

Reaction Score
Is she practicing? Any chance she plays a few minutes tonight to loosen up?

Reaction Score
Is she practicing? Any chance she plays a few minutes tonight to loosen up?
Ducharme? From what Geno has said, yes she is practicing. I don't think she plays any minutes? I think she has to go through warm-ups before that happens. Geno did say it could be 2 games or it could be 5 games

Reaction Score
With knee injuries being so prevalent to women, I'm surprised a lightweight knee brace has not been designed to be worn during games. I know a brace would not help eliminate all injuries, but I think one would have prevented Azzi's re-injury.

Reaction Score
Ducharme? From what Geno has said, yes she is practicing. I don't think she plays any minutes? I think she has to go through warm-ups before that happens. Geno did say it could be 2 games or it could be 5 games
I intended to ask about Azzi, but that's good to know too. Thanks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom