Azura | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Azura

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Lets put our money where are keyboards are.

So what are we talking about? $2 bucks or $200 large ($200,000 for the uninformed)?
Not that I would ever expect bizarro to actually pay up, but I'd go in for $100 that Collier starts. (of course excluding injuries)

Probably some BY rule against this???

Reaction Score
I heard all this same bs last year when i said chong was going to be the starting pg, how did that work out? I will take bets for any amount!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I heard all this same bs last year when i said chong was going to be the starting pg, how did that work out? I will take bets for any amount!
How do you propose paying off those bets if and when you lose?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I heard all this same bs last year when i said chong was going to be the starting pg, how did that work out?
Except a lot of people thought Chong would start, being a senior and all. And Nurse was actually the starting PG, although they did share it more as the year went on.

I will take bets for any amount!

54fee4f81b549924b488e18d97e82705.jpg

Reaction Score
When did Azura become a NPOY candidate? Or is she a candidate like every player is during the summer months?

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
The guard from OSU? No way. She is a scorer only, often to the detriment of her team's play.
Maybe you should try watching her play more than against Connecticut!! They aren't the team they currently are without her!!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The high/ low game does not disappear or become diminished by having Z and Pheesa on the court at the same time. Gabby will still be high post player feeding down low. If we go to past seasons, Geno sets his offense out higher/ away from the basket and the end line. This spacing allows the high low game to work because the baseline and the lane does not get crowded. Stewie and Morgan feasted on opponents with this offense style. It makes no difference whether the opponent plays man or zone defense. The baseline will be wide open.

The kickout to Lou or Kia or Pheesa or Z for the 3 ball is still there. No change. And Gabby will still be able to slash to the rim from the high post. Her quickness is more than most post players can handle, including Wilson.
I agree the high low does not go away. The point I tried to make is the great chemistry of last year will be changed by the addition of new players and new positions. When Stephanie Dilson left, the high low was still there just not as good until Stevie and tuck worked out the kinks.

The amount of positive speculation on the board is pretty high even for the circumstances.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I agree the high low does not go away. The point I tried to make is the great chemistry of last year will be changed by the addition of new players and new positions. When Stephanie Dilson left, the high low was still there just not as good until Stevie and tuck worked out the kinks.

The amount of positive speculation on the board is pretty high even for the circumstances.

That is always the case. The team chemistry changes every year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
When she became stronger, smarter, and better while practicing under Auriemma for a year after posting 18/10 as a sophomore.

Actually, it was Geno himself who said if Azura stayed the 2 years she could go #1 in the draft; I translate that into NPOY.

Reaction Score
Crystal doesn't play defense very well, and that will keep her out of the starting lineup. She will never be like Moriah who worked on her defense, and was a pest even her freshman year. Remember face-guarding Skylar in the semi-final game.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
She will never be like Moriah who worked on her defense, and was a pest even her freshman year. Remember face-guarding Skylar in the semi-final game.

I remember Moriah being overwhelmed against Diggins. She was really good in the tourney but that wasn't a fair matchup.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When did Azura become a NPOY candidate? Or is she a candidate like every player is during the summer months?
Azura was anointed a POY candidate by Doris Burke during the UCONN South Carolina game in Feb.
Of course Doris also said it was because Azura would be in the hands of the "master" -Geno. I firmly agree with Doris.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Azura was anointed a POY candidate by Doris Burke during the UConn South Carolina game in Feb.
Of course Doris also said it was because Azura would be in the hands of the "master" -Geno. I firmly agree with Doris.
Doris has a tendency to get "a little too far over her skis" at times. It would be great if Z was a POY candidate, but I would be delighted if she averaged around a double double for points & rebounds, and served as an effective rim protector on D.

As far as NPOY, I still believe it will come down to Wilson & Gabby.

Reaction Score
Doris has a tendency to get "a little too far over her skis" at times. It would be great if Z was a POY candidate, but I would be delighted if she averaged around a double double for points & rebounds, and served as an effective rim protector on D.

The point I think is relevant is Azura is a force to be reckoned with by our opponents. She is 6' 6", can run the floor like a guard, was a star at Duke, and we BYs would be darn envious if she had gone to ND. We would be talking about how great she would be for them and a great compliment to Turner (when she returns). Instead we got her and some people are even saying she won't start, let alone possibly be discussed for POY. MY fondest hope is she makes her teammates better and we go undefeated!!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
No idea of who starts, but having Kia play PG isn't a great use of her talents - yes she is what most would call a combo guard, but forcing her to initiate offense full time doesn't seem to me to be a good plan.
Geno loves his guards and recognizes them as the key to his team's success - playing for long stretches without a true PG on the floor if he has one or more available seems unlikely. Danger and if she comes along quickly Coombs seem to me to be keys to next season. With the possibility that Bent puts it all together as a sophomore or AEH gets trained as a PG also lurking.

I agree it is hard to believe that any of the 4 starters returning would be relegated to the bench, or that Azura will not start. But ... it will not surprise me if one of those things does happen for the good of the floor chemistry to start games. Yes, Lou and Kia could start as the 'guards', but it just doesn't seem like the best line-up, and while I do think Gabby becomes much more of a perimeter player this year, I don't see her being a 'guard' either.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No idea of who starts, but having Kia play PG isn't a great use of her talents - yes she is what most would call a combo guard, but forcing her to initiate offense full time doesn't seem to me to be a good plan.
IDK, Kia initiating the offense worked out pretty well last year.

Reaction Score
Name the last 6'6" player with Zs skills that geno coached? I think most of you are thinking of a starting lineup using your hearts and not your heads. If collier is a great player as all of you think she is, then coming off the bench shouldn't matter to her. Its team first and everything is done for the team. Most of you think of gabby as a guard but she hasn't played as one yet for conn and neither has kls, so you think geno is magically going to change that?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Name the last 6'6" player with Zs skills that geno coached? I think most of you are thinking of a starting lineup using your hearts and not your heads. If collier is a great player as all of you think she is, then coming off the bench shouldn't matter to her. Its team first and everything is done for the team. Most of you think of gabby as a guard but she hasn't played as one yet for conn and neither has kls, so you think geno is magically going to change that?
You are clearly locked in with your position that Pheesa will come off the bench next year. Just about everyone else disagrees. I respect the fact that you're standing alone on this one.

I think we all need to let this one go, enjoy a burger and a beer by the pool and wait to see who Geno pencils in to his starting lineup in the fall.

Reaction Score
Not that I would ever expect bizarro to actually pay up, but I'd go in for $100 that Collier starts. (of course excluding injuries)

Probably some BY rule against this???
Put me in for a quarter---while it is a bet that can't be lost--unforeseen circumstances has away of changing the outcome--
I've gone round and round on this--and we have yet to see them play--if Geno reacts as he has in the past---(geno speaking) if you give me 100 percent --Iill give it back--and 4 kids on this team gave him 187 percent the entire year--and they shall start--Azura I think has to be the 5th wheel, Danger the 6th
The core 4 has experience, chemistry, talent, passing, shooting, Defense---Geno won't overlook that.
His REAL problem is --making enough time for those sitting--or his problem becomes a much different one. I've said this before--Starting isn't the real issue, playing time is.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

If Z's season matches Pheesa's last season--other than the final game--I will be thrilled!

Reaction Score

Great comment about Doris.

I think the point about NPOY is being missed. UConn will have 4 players with a legitimate shot at it, the 3 returning AA's plus Stevens. When was the last time any team was that loaded? 2001? They were great but not at that level.

Who wins it will be largely a factor of who best actualizes their talent. And no one can predict that.

Reaction Score
Question for you UConn/Wbb College experts:
Each year Geno recruits some top talent,some not so top and some not so not so--This year he is loaded top to bottom with mostly top talent--and he is recruiting for the next 4 years. If Azura, as I expect, will not leave after this year--what does Geno do about those he has in the pipe line --how does he make room for them in a 15 person roster?? It is a nice problem--this year , not so nice in 2.maybe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom