Ayanna Patterson on her goggles, providing spark in NCAA Tournament | The Boneyard

Ayanna Patterson on her goggles, providing spark in NCAA Tournament

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"At first, UConn women’s basketball freshman Ayanna Patterson didn’t want to wear the goggles."

"She didn't wear them during her high school career and didn't necessarily want to start now. Yet, the Husky staff told her it would be a good idea to protect her eyes from any further damage."

"Patterson was born blind in her right eye, a hereditary condition from her dad's side."

Reaction Score
Thanks, Beer, for posting this link. Fantastic article about Ayanna. It's definitely worth a read.

"When I put the glasses on, I have to be this hardcore basketball player and then I take the glasses off and just be myself, just smile and have fun," Patterson said. "The goggles have really made me embrace my freshman year."

Ayanna Patterson.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
did we ever determine if she is totally blind in her right eye, or does she have 20/200 vision? I can't imagine how you could play basketball and not see the entire right side at all.

Reaction Score
did we ever determine if she is totally blind in her right eye, or does she have 20/200 vision? I can't imagine how you could play basketball and not see the entire right side at all.
One of my brothers is completely blind in one eye and they let him drive without restrictions. You get used to it if you’ve dealt with it your whole life.

Reaction Score
You could read the article and find out the answer to your question...and much more. ;)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
You could read the article and find out the answer to your question...and much more. ;)
I would do that if it wasn't behind a paywall and I have tried jumping through the suggested hoops and have yet to find one that works. Oh well, life on the (offseason) BY.

Reaction Score
I would do that if it wasn't behind a paywall and I have tried jumping through the suggested hoops and have yet to find one that works. Oh well, life on the (offseason) BY.
You just haven't discovered the necessary hoop yet. ;)

Reaction Score
For me it's day 1 of the 23-24 season. I'm thinking there will be a commitment or two by Memorial Day.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
From a JI article in January that I quoted:
"She has a hereditary condition that has left her legally blind in her right eye.
“I have no peripheral vision in my right eye,” Patterson said on Wednesday. “I don’t see much over there. It’s been like that since birth. My dad had it. He played basketball for years including professionally for a couple of years. He’s talked to me about the different struggles that he had as a basketball player and how he could help me grow as a basketball player with this disability. I’ve just adjusted over time and grown from it."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom