Ayanna blind in one eye | The Boneyard

Ayanna blind in one eye

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Ayanna evidently has problems with vision in her left eye

I hope no one posts a tasteless and classless remark about this in an attempt to be funny. :mad:

Reaction Score
While Ayanna didn’t mention it, having only one good eye has to hurt her depth perception on jump shots. She is quite remarkable in her ability to overcome such a challenge.
I too am virtually blind in one eye and you would think that without binocular vision that depth perception would be a problem. Not so, since I once made [in high school] 15 out of 16 foul shots and had a very good mid-range jumper. Sorry, I can't explain it.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I worked with a guy that lost an eye to cancer. His doctor recommended that he take up bowling to help with his depth perception. He developed into quite a good bowler and usually led the company bowling league in average.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Geno mentioned that Ayanna has been dunking easily in practice until she tweaked her ankle recently. Unfortunately, that kept her out of the dunk contest on 1st night.

Reaction Score
I have a son that is legally blind in one eye but was all conference in soccer and could have played in college. There are issues with depth perception with balls in the air, trying to track the trajectory of a long ball but other than that he seemed ok with it. He never knew where the ball was coming down as quickly as the other kids. She may have some vision with that eye which would help a lot. You can be blind in one eye or legally blind in one eye. Big difference. I have a niece with no vision in one eye. Ayanna is talking about contacts so she may be legally blind in one eye rather than completely blind in one eye.

sun

Reaction Score
I have a son that is legally blind in one eye but was all conference in soccer and could have played in college. There are issues with depth perception with balls in the air, trying to track the trajectory of a long ball but other than that he seemed ok with it. He never knew where the ball was coming down as quickly as the other kids. She may have some vision with that eye which would help a lot. You can be blind in one eye or legally blind in one eye. Big difference. I have a niece with no vision in one eye. Ayanna is talking about contacts so she may be legally blind in one eye rather than completely blind in one eye.
Thanks, that's interesting.
Ex-MLB pitcher Jake Peavy is legally blind without corrective lenses.
-----------
"Well, I'm legally blind without my corrective lenses," Peavy said Thursday. "If you see me going around and I don't have glasses, I will fall off this little platform right here. I can't function without them."

Pitch without his contacts?

"It would be a scary moment if I did that," he said.

Peavy said he cannot have laser surgery, apparently for hereditary reasons, and even with corrective lenses, his eyesight can be improved to no better than around 20-40.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
IT'S NO ONES BUSINESS !
When a player announces it to the world then they want people to know how they managed to overcome their handicap so that they can be an inspiration & example for others.
Ayanna obviously wants people to know so that they can understand what she's dealing with.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just because I'm a nitpicker, the tweet has her with a blind right eye...:)
I wonder if the tweet has it wrong. She gestures left when talking about her blind spot in basketball terms.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I too am virtually blind in one eye and you would think that without binocular vision that depth perception would be a problem. Not so, since I once made [in high school] 15 out of 16 foul shots and had a very good mid-range jumper. Sorry, I can't explain it.
I would assume that, like Ayanna, you compensated for any problem with depth perception. I am curious though. Were you a better shooter from one side of the basket than the other? For me, it was always the left wing, although that had nothing to do with my vision.

Reaction Score
Is that confirmed in the article or is it just a blurb from spooky Hank.

Reaction Score
I'm among those who go through life with monocular vision. My right eye is amblyoptic and has 30/150 vision when only that eye is open. But since the bad eye points in a different direction than the good eye my brain throws in the towel and only açcepts the signal from the good eye when both eyes are open. Since I've never had stereo vision I have no idea how I view the world as opposed to the binocular folks. The brain is pretty good at compensating and uses lots of cues to make sense of things.

Sports wise I haven't noticed it has too much effect on what I can do. Hitting a baseball is a challenge. I'm streaky shooting a basketball. Both of these things can be explained by other than vision issues of course. Outside of sports I'm not quite sure how far the front end of my car is to an object when parking. Typing on phone keyboards, as I'm doing now, results in hitting the wrong letter a lot. For the most part my vision is what it is and has had little effect in my life - as far as I know. Ayanna will do her thing just fine.

Reaction Score
I have often noticed that some players have poor paripheral vision but can compensate by keeping their head on a swivel. I would assume it would work the same with someone who only had vision in one eye. It would be better if opposing players did not know about her miopic vision. They might surely attempt to take advantage of it. Fortunately most would not really know how to.

Reaction Score
I have often noticed that some players have poor paripheral vision but can compensate by keeping their head on a swivel. I would assume it would work the same with someone who only had vision in one eye. It would be better if opposing players did not know about her miopic vision. They might surely attempt to take advantage of it. Fortunately most would not really know how to.
I don't know if it matters whether people are aware. Considering how she has persevered and continues to succeed, let them try to scheme against her. My money would be on Ayanna.

Reaction Score
I would assume that, like Ayanna, you compensated for any problem with depth perception. I am curious though. Were you a better shooter from one side of the basket than the other? For me, it was always the left wing, although that had nothing to do with my vision.
No, I never favoured one side of the court over the other. My depth perception was, inexplicably, good in most endeavors, even driving a car. In fact, I won several gymkhanas in the 70s, which requires [closely] skirting numerous pylons, eh? From my experience, I think Ayanna will be fine!

Reaction Score
IT'S NO ONES BUSINESS !
I’ve never understood this kind of reaction to another person’s voluntary disclosure of some health related info. Apparently that person thinks it is other people’s business or they would not have announced it! Sure, if some creep outed someone’s info without their permission, that would be bad. Discussing something that has (apparently) been released to the public voluntarily is imo completely OK as long as it is done respectfully. I find her situation quite inspirational actually! You have to admire what she has overcome to be the number four ranked player in the country! She has just leapfrogged a few spots on my favorite players list! I already liked her, now I admire her!

Reaction Score
While Ayanna didn’t mention it, having only one good eye has to hurt her depth perception on jump shots. She is quite remarkable in her ability to overcome such a challenge.
I just made that comment --Depth perception--to my spouse. She has adapted well, it appears. Sight is such a precious gift, we rarely appreciate until it is going or gone---speaking from experience.
I'm proud this young lady is with GENO and on OUR team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom