August WNBA thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

August WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
So did Vegas today as well
Not the same thing though. Stokes has been there all year and part of the rotation.

Collier has been practicing, but hasn't played in a single game, not in game shape. That's a big wild card.

Anyway w/ Vegas it was all about bringing Hamby off the bench like she's done most of her career to hopefully get her back in her comfort zone.

Reaction Score
This whole season is just so weird. Any time any team has gotten any kind of momentum, they fall flat on their face in spectacular fashion. Looks like Ionescu is the only starter who did anything for the Lib. DeShields and Peddy went off, w/ some help from Cunningham. An absolutely horrible loss for NY, and a big win for Phoenix.
Totally agree on how weird this season has been. From the top teams of the League losing to some of the lower level of talent. To how the refs have been calling (or not calling) games this season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well, Minnesota won. Of course they are better w/ Collier ultimately. Just could take some time to work her back into the mix, and there just isn't much time left this season.

Laney has missed most of the season for NY. Played the last game, although she didn't start. NY lost. Not to put it on her.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Last year went down to the wire for the last 2 playoff spots IIRC. But this is year is just crazy. Dallas looks good to make it, whether they hold onto #6 or not. But there are 5 teams vying for #7 and #8 within 1 game of each other. CRAZY!

Reaction Score
If Minnesota wins as a moderate favorite (Atlanta without Hayes, AD, Billings, Coffey, & Wallace -- 8 on active roster including Mompremier & Vaughn) tonight, there will be 5 teams battling for 2 spots within 1 game of each other with 3 to play (4 for NY).

Reaction Score
This whole season is just so weird. Any time any team has gotten any kind of momentum, they fall flat on their face in spectacular fashion. Looks like Ionescu is the only starter who did anything for the Lib. DeShields and Peddy went off, w/ some help from Cunningham. An absolutely horrible loss for NY, and a big win for Phoenix.
don't think it's weirdness it's just mediocrity. There are 3 teams that are title contenders: sun, sky, aces. The rest are just playing for pride. I blame a lot on coaches in the Wnba, there are some that have no business being a head coach. Surprising when you see someone like Fred Williams who only became a hc cause of Derek Fisher being fired, took the interim job and imo has done a solid job considering all the drama he has handled.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It has become easy to malign Ogunbowale recently with the Wing's performance with and without her (not to mention, she took a couple of really forced, super-low % shots last night), but if she had an elite point guard, I think that people's eyes would be opened as to her talents. Even in college, with an embarrassment of riches starting lineup in '19 (and to a slightly lesser extent in '18), they still didn't have a pure point guard (imagine how she would be playing with Miles).

Ah, one of the (dis) advantages of getting into discussions with me on ND alums is I'm one myself, so I'll head back to ND's site to check on things.

In Arike's first two years, she didn't play with an Olivia Miles, but she did play with a pretty darn good point guard -- Lindsay Allen -- who was a four-year starter for ND. Arike didn't start for ND her frosh year, so I looked at her sophomore year and those represented her best overall shooting percentages: 45% overall and a tad over that from three-point land (she and Marina were high-volume three shooters, as I'm sure you recall).

With Allen gone after spring 2017, AO actually shot about the same from the field -- 44% -- but her three-pt. pct. went down both years: 38% in '17-'18 and 35% in '18-'19. Virtually the same for Mabrey, who was around 46-47% from the field all three years.

In her sophomore year, McGraw game Arike something of an extended leash -- much like she gave Jewell Loyd -- to break off a play and go or flat out give an ISO situation. However, Allen would keep it in line and would find AO for open set-and-shoot three's. With no true PG her last two years, the three's were often self-created. Still see it now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ah, one of the (dis) advantages of getting into discussions with me on ND alums is I'm one myself, so I'll head back to ND's site to check on things.

In Arike's first two years, she didn't play with an Olivia Miles, but she did play with a pretty darn good point guard -- Lindsay Allen -- who was a four-year starter for ND. Arike didn't start for ND her frosh year, so I looked at her sophomore year and those represented her best overall shooting percentages: 45% overall and a tad over that from three-point land (she and Marina were high-volume three shooters, as I'm sure you recall).

With Allen gone, AO actually shot about the same from the field -- 44% -- but her three-pt. pct. went down both years: 38% in '17-'18 and 35% in '18-'19. Virtually the same for Mabrey, who was around 46-47% from the field all three years.

In her sophomore year, McGraw game Arike something of an extended leash -- much like she gave Jewell Loyd -- to break off a play and go or flat out give an ISO situation. However, Allen would keep it in line and would find AO for open set-and-shoot three's. With no true PG her last two years, the three's were often self-created. Still see it now.
Outstanding insider analysis. That's why I specifically mentioned her last 2 years, without Allen. As you mentioned, her FG% was flat and 3% went down, but one would think, all other things being equal, Ogunbowale would have improved her % as an upperclassmen (similar to her clutch abilities).

I understand why articles like Women’s Basketball Daily Briefing: Arike Ogunbowale hurts Dallas are written, but if she had Vandersloot, C Gray, C Williams/A Thomas, Bird, Cloud, SDS, Ionescu, Canada, drafted A McDonald over C Collier, etc., I think AO would be more valuable. Even keeping Jefferson or properly utilizing Harris/Burton would have been extremely beneficial.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Outstanding insider analysis. That's why I specifically mentioned her last 2 years, without Allen. As you mentioned, her FG% was flat and 3% went down, but one would think, all other things being equal, Ogunbowale would have improved her % as an upperclassmen (similar to her clutch abilities).

I understand why articles like Women’s Basketball Daily Briefing: Arike Ogunbowale hurts Dallas are written, but if she had Vandersloot, C Gray, C Williams/A Thomas, Bird, Cloud, SDS, Ionescu, Canada, drafted A McDonald over C Collier, etc., I think AO would be more valuable. Even keeping Jefferson or properly utilizing Harris/Burton would have been extremely beneficial.

You and I are pretty much on the same pulpit. For the rest of this year, I think it would behoove Coach J to rotate Gray, Mabrey and Ogunbowale (if and once she's back) in those two off-guard/wing slots. Let Burton and Harris run the point.

Off season, GM Babbit has some decisions to make. He could trade one of those three along with other bangles (Izzy Harrison? Collier?) to get another top-notch contributor, whether at the three or four. As much as I like Thornton, she's a small power forward and might be better at the 3. To give greater flexibility, it might be a sign and trade (is that possible in the W?) with Mabrey.

It's interesting/ironic: the handle that Mabey picked up volunteering to play lead guard in her last two seasons probably helped her initially stick in the W. However, her "inner scorer" is what has come to the fore the last two years and is, partially, what's making this situation clearer. Stay tuned.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
A starting lineup of:

McCowan/Izzy
Thornton/Sabally
Gray
Arike/Marina
PG

is pretty impressive and has a ton of potential. Assuming Arike starts, Vickie Johnson needs to sell either Gray or Marina (I'd pick Marina) to embrace a Kelsey Plum sixth player of year role; and really embrace either Burton or Harris as the starting PG.

Reaction Score
Sky outclassing the Sun 31-14 after 1Q. Nearly flawless. Just give them the trophy.
I saw your ensuing comment, but they did hold on for the W, which ultimately is all that matters, so nice call eebmg.

I am still unwaveringly & adamantly sticking with my Ace's pick to win it all. If the WNBA had 48 minute games like the NBA, I'd have them 3rd behind Chicago and Connecticut (with the easiest decision for the 2022 awards -- 6th player of the year).

Reaction Score
A starting lineup of:

McCowan/Izzy
Thornton/Sabally
Gray
Arike/Marina
PG

is pretty impressive and has a ton of potential. Assuming Arike starts, Vickie Johnson needs to sell either Gray or Marina (I'd pick Marina) to embrace a Kelsey Plum sixth player of year role; and really embrace either Burton or Harris as the starting PG.
That's not a bad team by any stretch and underscores that I'm not sure VJ knows what she is doing.

I wonder if McCowan will get any looks for MIP.

Reaction Score
That's not a bad team by any stretch and underscores that I'm not sure VJ knows what she is doing.

I wonder if McCowan will get any looks for MIP.
Completely agree with your initial 2 contentions.

Probably not because she was so underutilized the 1st half of the year, that her total season stats don't nearly show her improvement, importance to the team, and abilities. If there was a MIP from 1st half of the season to 2nd half ...

Reaction Score
Completely agree with your initial 2 contentions.

Probably not because she was so underutilized the 1st half of the year, that her total season stats don't nearly show her improvement, importance to the team, and abilities. If there was a MIP from 1st half of the season to 2nd half ...
Understandable. I am just thinking out loud. Not really sure who else would be in the running but that could just be my brain not working properly on Monday.

Reaction Score
Understandable. I am just thinking out loud. Not really sure who else would be in the running but that could just be my brain not working properly on Monday.
All good. I do that very often myself. I think that I've heard Young, Plum, Ionescu in the mix. Pretty sure that there must be others that my brain cannot think of right now. Interesting note that the last 2 MIP winners (Laney & B Jones) both had significant improvement the year after they received the award.

Btw, I am a huge McCowan fan and love seeing her play over the last month bring back memories of her dominance in the maroon & white.

Reaction Score
All good. I do that very often myself. I think that I've heard Young, Plum, Ionescu in the mix. Pretty sure that there must be others that my brain cannot think of right now. Interesting note that the last 2 MIP winners (Laney & B Jones) both had significant improvement the year after they received the award.

Btw, I am a huge McCowan fan and love seeing her play over the last month bring back memories of her dominance in the maroon & white.
Definitely all 3 you named could be good ones as they've taken big steps forward (which is ironic given all were #1 picks but not all of them can be Stewie or Aja).

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I'm not saying that there aren't poorly officiated games. (I only saw the last 3 minutes of this game on my phone -- I think the whistle for the foul on Cloud's 3 was .1 or .2 seconds after the clock ran out, but TerpWomenFan could be referring to many other calls or no-calls). I just asked you which calls -- just because there's a short-term disparity in fouls called, it may or may not be a poorly officiated game.
Last second shot, and foul was after buzzer. I hope u can view pic. Click pic to open it up.

Attachments

• shot mystics 080822.jpg
    shot mystics 080822.jpg
    986.5 KB · Views: 81
Reaction Score
I saw your ensuing comment, but they did hold on for the W, which ultimately is all that matters, so nice call eebmg.

I am still unwaveringly & adamantly sticking with my Ace's pick to win it all. If the WNBA had 48 minute games like the NBA, I'd have them 3rd behind Chicago and Connecticut (with the easiest decision for the 2022 awards -- 6th player of the year).
That was probably Sue and Stewie's last game in

Seattle.
Washington has 2 games left home and home against Indiana.
Seattle has 3 road games at Chicago, Minnesota, and Las Vegas. They would have to win 2 of 3 for home court.
Can't see Indiana winning any games.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

Seattle.
Seattle has 3 road games at Chicago, Minnesota, and Las Vegas. They would have to win 2 of 3 for home court.
Wait, are you saying that if Mystics get home court over Storm, they will sweep the series?

Reaction Score
Wait, are you saying that if Mystics get home court over Storm, they will sweep the series?
The team that gets home court gets the first 2 games at home. If they win the 2 games at home series is over.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

Seattle.
Is it pretty much baked in at this point that Stewie is going to make a move to the Liberty come the off-season? The idea of her pairing with Ionescu is tantalizing given how versatile they both are. Thus far Ionescu hasn't had the opportunity to pair with a really dynamic big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom