August WNBA thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

August WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Parker is back and Ogunbowale is out. Does Dallas have any chance?

edit--Burton is starting over Harris?
The times I have seen Harris this year, she was not very solid. I think she took a step back from rookie year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Have to say, it's not looking like addition by subtraction for LA since Cambage left. They've really been struggling.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Have to say, it's not looking like addition by subtraction for LA since Cambage left. They've really been struggling.
Sparks have no real second scoring option after Nneka.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sparks have no real second scoring option after Nneka.
Sykes had one of her best games of the season, and it didn't make an iota of difference. They started off the season terrible, seemed to find their footing, now they're back to being terrible again.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Parker is back and Ogunbowale is out. Does Dallas have any chance?

Dallas holding their own. Leads 24-22 early in 2Q.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Crazy tight race from 6-11. Especially if Dallas loses

1659490692272.png

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Crazy tight race from 6-11. Especially if Dallas loses
A week or so ago it was starting to separate out a little bit. Now it's as close as it has been all season.

Reaction Score
Arike out for Dallas. Is it anything serious?
I don't wish ill on Arike, but her absence is okay with me... she's my least favorite player in the WNBA.

Not a fan of Mabrey, either, but she's playing an outstanding game tonight.

Reaction Score
Hate to report but Katie Lou is way out of kilter. Cant hit the side of a barn from 3. And she started out 3-4 doing some inside work but totally went away from that.

Liv looking pretty good on offense (5-6) and on the boards but gets lost on defense quit. But she is making moves with great footwork which is a good start

Crystal steady . Stef blows her nose and they blow a foul :mad:
I'm sorry to see Katie Lou slumping the past few games. She was shooting 44 percent from three a week ago but is something like 3 for 19 since. She's playing solid D and does other good stuff, but it's apparent watching her hang her head that it's not a good time for her.

I agree, eebmg, that Liv has improved and I'm impressed she's as productive as she is. I do have to chuckle occasionally when she takes some of her vintage three or four step strolls along the baseline, makes the reverse layup and there's no whistle. We all saw enough of those for the Huskies, except she'd be called for the travel. It reminds me of Moses Malone, who never missed a chance to shuffle his feet... LOL!

Reaction Score
Parker is back and Ogunbowale is out.
I like Burton's D and I think that she should get more minutes moving forward even when Arike is healthy because it gives the Wings a true point guard which would be beneficial for Arike and Marina for getting better shots than when they shoulder that load.

Big T's last month reminds me of her dominance her last 2 years at Miss St.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mystics sweep the Aces during regular season 3-0. Aces got 5pts from their bench. Mystics got 25.
The same amount of points that the Mystics got from EDD on 1 of 7 shooting

Reaction Score
huge win for the Wings, I wouldn't put much stock in the Sky losing, they look like they are in cruise mode. Just waiting for the playoffs to begin. Sad to say the sparks are done, I expect Liberty/Lynx to overpass them and miss the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Did DT get hurt? Only played 11 minutes. She's cooled off after being on fire for a stretch of games.

Sun had 7 in double figures, Merc had 3 (only 2 starters).

I missed what the problem was but when I put the game back on…. The announcers said it was nothing g serious. More like irritating. And sat her out for precautionary reasons

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I like Burton's D and I think that she should get more minutes moving forward even when Arike is healthy because it gives the Wings a true point guard which would be beneficial for Arike and Marina for getting better shots than when they shoulder that load.

Big T's last month reminds me of her dominance her last 2 years at Miss St.
I've posted similar thoughts over on The Bench. Vickie Johnson made a decision to go with the three guard/wings who can score the most when she inserted Marina Mabrey into the starting lineup with Arike O. and Allisha Gray. While it (kinda) worked for awhile, I think the dual responsibilities of scoring and also running an offense (one that keeps evolving/changing with Sabally, Big T, etc.) takes a toll on a player's stamina and/or concentration. Mabrey's shooting percentage has dropped precipitously in the 2nd half of the season.

Freed of lead guard responsibilities, Mabrey went back to doing what she really does best at this point in her career: score. This highlight reel shows the whole gamut: inside, way outside and a lot of mid-range. I thought this was a replay of her dominating Aussie League games!

As noted, Veronica Burton got the start and dished out 9 assists, while playing her usual solid D and keeping things in order.

Dallas GM Greg Bibb and Coach Johnson will have a choice at the end of the season and I think it's pretty easy: Insert Burton or Harris into the starting lineup and keep two of the three scorers. "Marike" is the marketing reason for keeping Mabrey and Ogunbowale but Gray is a fine, all-round player. Arike is signed to a long-term deal, so Gray or Mabrey will probably hit the road. In any case, I think it's addition by subtraction. The one who leaves Dallas will be free to let it rip somewhere else.

p.s....and I'm saying this as a guy who has followed Marina since high school. ;)
p.s.s I think Mabrey can sign anywhere after this year. If that is the case, I could see her doing serious damage running with Sabrina Ionescu in NYC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've posted similar thoughts over on The Bench. Vickie Johnson made a decision to go with the three guard/wings who can score the most when she inserted Marina Mabrey into the starting lineup with Arike O. and Allisha Gray. While it (kinda) worked for awhile, I think the dual responsibilities of scoring and also running an offense (one that keeps evolving/changing with Sabally, Big T, etc.) takes a toll on a player's stamina and/or concentration. Mabrey's shooting percentage has dropped precipitously in the 2nd half of the season.

Freed of lead guard responsibilities, Mabrey went back to doing what she really does best at this point in her career: score. This highlight reel shows the whole gamut: inside, way outside and a lot of mid-range. I thought this was a replay of her dominating Aussie League games!

As noted, Veronica Burton got the start and dished out 9 assists, while playing her usual solid D and keeping things in order.

Dallas GM Greg Bibb and Coach Johnson will have a choice at the end of the season and I think it's pretty easy: Insert Burton or Harris into the starting lineup and keep two of the three scorers. "Marike" is the marketing reason for keeping Mabrey and Ogunbowale but Gray is a fine, all-round player. Arike is signed to a long-term deal, so Gray or Mabrey will probably hit the road. In any case, I think it's addition by subtraction. The one who leaves Dallas will be free to let it rip somewhere else.

p.s....and I'm saying this as a guy who has followed Marina since high school. ;)
p.s.s I think Mabrey can sign anywhere after this year. If that is the case, I could see her doing serious damage running with Sabrina Ionescu in NYC.
You don't think that they could develop a rotation of the 4 guards in the 3 spots? That would allow Arike, Marina, & Allisha play the majority of their minutes with a true point guard, get more rest, and have them play together when Johnson feels that the situation warrants it.

OTOH, if they got rid of one of them, that would open up some playing time next year for Awak (seems to show potential in limited minutes) and/or Sabally -- the greatest unknown is durability for her based on her 1st 3 years as well as her sister missing so much time.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
huge win for the Wings, I wouldn't put much stock in the Sky losing, they look like they are in cruise mode. Just waiting for the playoffs to begin. Sad to say the sparks are done, I expect Liberty/Lynx to overpass them and miss the playoffs.
Sure but they had a chance to open up a two game lead over the Aces for the #1 seed (and homecourt throughout the playoffs). Now they are just one spot ahead, and the schedule doesn't get easier.

Reaction Score
Sure but they had a chance to open up a two game lead over the Aces for the #1 seed (and homecourt throughout the playoffs). Now they are just one spot ahead, and the schedule doesn't get easier.
I don't think they care about home court they know they can go into Vegas and win they already did.

Reaction Score
One very intriguing game tonight with the Lynx making a final playoff push & the Storm fighting for 4th and to create cohesiveness prior to the playoffs.

I think the Liberty are too talented for the Sparks, even though it's not easy beating the same team a day after blowing them out.

Does anybody know if Laney has a chance to come back in the last few games or the playoffs?

When I said that Atlanta's talent crept below Indy's, that was before I knew about K Mitchell. The current active roster composition on these 2 teams is at the bottom of barrel, slightly below LA (Nneka)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One very intriguing game tonight with the Lynx making a final playoff push & the Storm fighting for 4th and to create cohesiveness prior to the playoffs.

I think the Liberty are too talented for the Sparks, even though it's not easy beating the same team a day after blowing them out.

Does anybody know if Laney has a chance to come back in the last few games or the playoffs?

When I said that Atlanta's talent crept below Indy's, that was before I knew about K Mitchell. The current active roster composition on these 2 teams is at the bottom of barrel, slightly below LA (Nneka)
It was said yesterday Laney would be traveling with the team on the road for the end of the regular season these last 2 weeks so theres a chance she will suit up. She participated in shoot around yesterday with the libs as well .

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Liv is starting. I think Chiney has some injury?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Complete about face in the Liberty / Sparks game. 15-6 deficit and Sabrina with 2 fouls half way through 1st Q. Nneka looks all world so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom