Aubrey | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Aubrey

sun

Reaction Score
I think one more year at UConn to work on diversifying her offense skills would be wise. I assume we'll see a starting lineup of Nika, Paige, Azzi, Aubrey, Aaliyah next season if she returns, so she'll have plenty of opportunity to shine ahead of the 2024 draft.
IDK if she would turn down an offer of $100K or more to play overseas where she could train with experienced pros to develop the same or better skills as at UConn.
IDK if she really wants to continue with graduate studies or not, including living at Storrs & all that goes with it.
The risk of injury while playing for UConn with NCAA officiating is another issue.
Playing with inexperienced college youth is probably more risky due to more physical contact than playing with older players who do it for a living.
Every decision has some pluses & minuses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno isn't going to give a super senior Aubrey a diminished role in favor of players that have little experience. He's been doing this for nearly four decades and isn't going to suddenly change. If the roster of available players changes, then that opens the door to some possibilities, but next year it's going to be the four seniors plus Azzi. No one else here already or coming in will have the talent and/or experience of those five. Next year's starting line up will look a lot like the tail end of the Stewie years - Aaliyah like Tuck will be the primary paint presence, Aubrey will be our super athletic Gabby type player, and Nika, Paige, and Azzi will reprise the roles of Mo, Stewie, and Kia/KML.

sun

Reaction Score
Geno isn't going to give a super senior Aubrey a diminished role in favor of players that have little experience. He's been doing this for nearly four decades and isn't going to suddenly change. If the roster of available players changes, then that opens the door to some possibilities, but next year it's going to be the four seniors plus Azzi. No one else here already or coming in will have the talent and/or experience of those five. Next year's starting line up will look a lot like the tail end of the Stewie years - Aaliyah like Tuck will be the primary paint presence, Aubrey will be our super athletic Gabby type player, and Nika, Paige, and Azzi will reprise the roles of Mo, Stewie, and Kia/KML.
IMO KK will earn some of Nika's PT, especially with her shake & bake dribbling moves & ability to score on all 3 levels.
She can dribble some players out of their shoes.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Maybe try rewatching again
Not me without your bias you should. Even more important who does Geno play in big moments? Go back to the FF loss to Arizona, Aubrey started, an injured Nika came in and played 22 minutes to 7 for Aubrey. This season a healthy Aubrey sat the last quarter while a working back into shape Caroline played. Another few instances, in the Maryland game when UConn needed a stop she backed away from Miller who then hit an open 3, these all from the SC game when UConn fouled to put SC on the line instead of going after the player she backed off that required Nika then Lou to foul, both fouled out, last UConn chance down 3 needed a steal on the inbounds instead of guarding the receiver of the inbounds she again backed off until after the pass was received.

Reaction Score
I could see KK taking some PT away from Nika, especially with her shake & bake dribbling moves & ability to score on all 3 levels.
IIRC Geno has said that PT is earned and KK is highly talented.
She may even become a 4 year starter sharing PT.
I'd take that bet because we do this dance every single year with newcomers. A year ago we were saying the same things about Ayanna as everyone wondered how many dunks she would have this season. A year from now we'll have comments after every game asking why Geno doesn't play KK. The fact of the matter is, the list of kids that can go from high school to college and have an immediate impact is short even at UConn where Geno adds a new batch of the country's top talent to the team each season.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what Aubrey's academic standing is? I mean, it would be unusual for her to keep up with 100% of her studies from home flat on her back.

Also, people here are ruminating about who should get playing time, we won't need this one, this one will step up, etc, etc. Has this year taught us nothing? Injuries are part of the game, especially it seems ours. We need backups, something we are sorely missing right now.

Reaction Score
Not me without your bias you should. Even more important who does Geno play in big moments? Go back to the FF loss to Arizona, Aubrey started, an injured Nika came in and played 22 minutes to 7 for Aubrey. This season a healthy Aubrey sat the last quarter while a working back into shape Caroline played. Another few instances, in the Maryland game when UConn needed a stop she backed away from Miller who then hit an open 3, these all from the SC game when UConn fouled to put SC on the line instead of going after the player she backed off that required Nika then Lou to foul, both fouled out, last UConn chance down 3 needed a steal on the inbounds instead of guarding the receiver of the inbounds she again backed off until after the pass was received.
Boy you must really hate Nika's defense

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Two salient points about 99.9% of freshmen players. 1. Most fans assume they will play to the level of their senior videos. 2. They won't resemble their senior videos until half way through their sophomore year at the earliest.

Reaction Score
Aubrey could be electric coming off the bench for what Geno might see as potential game flat times. UConn has a decent lead that's eroding; player(s) on the bench for foul protection or slight injuries or needing extended blows; UConn behind a really good team and making runs but can't quite get over the hump; Geno's perception that one or more starters are a step down from normal intensity. In dozens of situations I can see Aubrey as lightning in a bottle and there's evidence from two years ago she likes that role (and now has considerably elevated skills and team sense).

Not that there aren't difficulties. Aubrey doesn't line up as the perfect positional go-to as as the routine sixth or even seventh player; some creativity on Geno's part would be required to make this work. It would demand extreme dedication from Aubrey in practice to maintain the high level Geno would expect, with significantly reduced minutes (compared to this year) as the reward.

But I see Aubrey off the bench as exciting as hell and would love to see it.

Reaction Score
Strictly speaking on my part, I really hope that she returns, because I really would like her to depart with National Championship. Who knows what would have happened last season if she had been available to play. But hopefully next year will be injury free and we will have a fantastic season. As stated above, I would really love her to leave with a NC, which I am sure is one of the major factors in her decision to attend UCONN.
Now wait a second. Are you saying Aubrey does not get an NC this year? Are you Carnac or something?

Reaction Score
Found this amazing article on Audrey. Just wanted to share. UConn's Aubrey Griffin is the epitome of modern basketball - The Next
Screenshot_20230221-164859_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
I hope AG decides to come back next season as at least what we see now from her is only a borderline WNBA player...she most probably be drafted but will have a hard time making a team. She needs to work an improve on few areas of her game including mid-range shooting (she is amazing going to the basket and an ok 3 point shooter). and she needs to work on her ball handling if she is to play as a 3 at the next level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom