Attention AG Bashers | The Boneyard

Attention AG Bashers

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
DHs reply to social media people bashing AG
“You’re not a fan of this program,” Hurley said. “You don’t even know what you’re watching. You haven’t spent enough time studying this game, studying what we do, knowing what makes a championship program. You just don’t get it. The things that were said across the board spoke to how little people know about team, how little they know about the game, and to treat a college kid — some fans or some others — in that manner, it’s shameful and despicable. That guy is all heart. He hasn’t played a full college season yet. If we’re going to have any success this season and change the narrative of our program, who is leading the way Josh?”
Josh Carlton, sitting next to Hurley, answered, “Alterique Gilbert.”

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
“You’re not a fan of this program,” Hurley said. “You don’t even know what you’re watching. You haven’t spent enough time studying this game, studying what we do, knowing what makes a championship program. You just don’t get it. The things that were said across the board spoke to how little people know about team, how little they know about the game, and to treat a college kid — some fans or some others — in that manner, it’s shameful and despicable. That guy is all heart. He hasn’t played a full college season yet. If we’re going to have any success this season and change the narrative of our program, who is leading the way Josh?”
Casual fans!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
A lovely Sunday dinner for me

1574639671104.jpeg

Reaction Score

If he was talking about this board, he’s wrong. People were mad at AG’s play. Not just for a minute, not because of a bad shot, but the same problems over multiple games. You can’t have the adoration of a fan base, if you can’t also take criticism. I thought the comments were pretty docile, even if people were extreme.

If, however, coach Hurley was talking about direct communications to AG on whatever kids use today, then I personally agree with him. At best, it’s a bad look. And if the comments were vicious and personal, then I fully agree it should be off limits. I don’t like how AG has played and think he cost us the X game. I stand by that. But I support AG as a player for the team I pull for and wish nothing but the best for him.

Reaction Score
Anyone who directly messaged AG or the press or any other players or coaches is a major tool. What good does that do?

AG clearly needed to change his mentality. And seemed to today. He is a better player and we are a better team for it.

Reaction Score
the general criticism of al’s play is completely warranted. to say he hasn’t played well is to put it lightly.

any attacks on social media are not warranted. he is still a kid after all.

i’ll assume hurley is referring to the latter. not a good look for him if he is referring to the former.

Reaction Score
You guys still don't get it.
Care to expand? It's fair to criticize a players game, especially if that player is playing hero ball while shooting 20% on the season. On the other hand, you are a if you @ the kid, emphasis on kid, and tell him he's a bum and so on.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm all for DH defending his player, against his reading the social media nonsense and dissapointed that not everyone saw the obvious pigheadedness of AG during the OT being the main reason for the loss.

AG is not as bad a shooter as these last few games would suggest, but he has to own the really bad decision to keep doing what doesn't work.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Care to expand? It's fair to criticize a players game, especially if that player is playing hero ball while shooting 20% on the season. On the other hand, you are a Paesano if you @ the kid, emphasis on kid, and tell him he's a bum and so on.
You become a fellow Italian countryman?

Reaction Score
I've been on this board going back to, I don't know, maybe 1993-94? I used to post a lot more basketball related content, game recaps, criticisms, X and O discussion, etc.

Then I got a little older and realized 99% of the people on here don't know what they're talking about and I was one of them.

Now I go to games and it seems I always get the "coach" a row behind me who knows what everyone is doing wrong all game long. He usually looks like the last guy you'd picture on a basketball court.

When you want to be critical of a play or a player? Take a breath, step back and just realize before you hit "Post Reply" that you don't know what you're talking about.

C

Chief00

Good for Danny. Similar to what Chief said. Having said that with James in the mix, the rotation and roles have changed and needed to.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I've been on this board going back to, I don't know, maybe 1993-94? I used to post a lot more basketball related content, game recaps, criticisms, X and O discussion, etc.

Then I got a little older and realized 99% of the people on here don't know what they're talking about and I was one of them.

Now I go to games and it seems I always get the "coach" a row behind me who knows what everyone is doing wrong all game long. He usually looks like the last guy you'd picture on a basketball court.

When you want to be critical of a play or a player? Take a breath, step back and just realize before you hit "Post Reply" that you don't know what you're talking about.
You’re going to need multiple ropes.

Reaction Score
We need AG to handle the ball during crunch time. He is still the best ball handler, and we need one badly. Can't blame AG for shots not falling when he is just trying to score for the team. We all seen AG carried the team on his back in the back, so we know he is capable.

Reaction Score
Criticizing someones game on a message board is fine thats why message boards are for for discussion, but going on twitter and bashing him personally on twitter or Facebook is taking it way too far and good for Hurley having his back.

Reaction Score

Everyone on this board only knows so much. Especially compared to the coaching staff, obviously.

But what’s the point of a basketball discussion forum without, you know, discussing basketball?

Reaction Score
Hurley to negative trolls - “We don’t need you”
Hurley to casual fans - “You don’t know what you talking about and We don’t need you”
Either be all in for the ride or get off the ship.
He’s taking on New England negativity. Gotta love him.

Reaction Score
Where do we draw the line? Where does acceptable stop and over the line begin?

I do not think I have gone out of bounds myself, but it is always good to self reflect.

Have I said "Coach, please show him some tough love" or "Take him out, give him a stern talk" or "Man, I wish he passed the ball there"...Or "oooof, he had a tough game there." Sure. Is his quote about those kind of things?

Or is his quote about other nasty things I have seen where people lay into Gilbert saying he is trash, that he sucks, that he needs to ride the pine clearly THOSE ARE NOT TRUE. Those more than cross the line. They are indeed disgusting and not okay.

I notice a lot of the worst offenders on social media are nowhere to be seen after today when Gilbert had a solid game. 7 assists vs 2 turnovers. Have I been upset with Gilbert before? Sure, but he brings a ton to the team too.

Reaction Score
Everyone on this board only knows so much. Especially compared to the coaching staff, obviously.

But what’s the point of a basketball discussion forum without, you know, discussing basketball?

There's discussing basketball.....and writing a post that's so convinced that you know more than a D1 coach. Like the ones calling for Gilbert to be benched.

And, on a greater scale, I've found the point of this forum is to build relationships with like minded people where you can share the highs and help live through the lows as a collective group.

Reaction Score
The Husky fans here have every right to constructively criticize AG. Whether or not he received direct IG or FB etc messages remains to be seen. I and everyone here want AG to succeed and mesh with the team so that we as a team may succeed. I didn’t get a chance to see them Miami game but saw AG was 2-2 within the 3 point line and 7 assists clearly something was said to him to warrant such a turn around. Anybody has some feedback on today’s game? As long as Aterique plays within himself we can turn into that dominant top 25 team that I think we deserve to be.

Reaction Score
Hurley to negative trolls - “We don’t need you”
Hurley to casual fans - “You don’t know what you talking about and We don’t need you”
Either be all in for the ride or get off the ship.
He’s taking on New England negativity. Gotta love him.
First one 100%, telling the fanbase they don't know s*** seems a bit touchhole. This board would be incredibly boring if it was just Kathy and UConnDan97 telling everyone how amazing everyone and everything is 24/7.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom