Athletic takes down Cuse | The Boneyard

Athletic takes down Cuse

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Say bye bye to Hillsman.
This article is behind a paywall. I was able to read the entire article on my cellphone via their app I downloaded. If just half of the accusations mentioned in this article are true, there’s no way Syracuse can retain Hillsman. Several of the accusations mentioned are of the "you can't cross that line" variety. We knew something was going on there, we just didn't know what, and most were hesitant to speculate. Well, the cat is out of the bag.

WCBB programs don’t experience a mass exodus like Syracuse just did unless there are some MAJOR problems. Not only will Syracuse have to conduct a thorough investigation, but the NCAA as well. The school administration will have to answer some tough questions, AND.... have to justify retaining Hillsman in light of these charges if they are inclined to.

This article by the Athletic has already teed it up for them. Too many incidents, too many victims and too many witnesses all willing to be interviewed here with no reason to be disingenuous. Houdini was a great escape artist, but even HE would have a hard time getting out of THIS one. :confused: I can't imagine Hillsman surviving this. I'm afraid I have to agree with "pepband99" on this one.

Syracuse investigating 'troubling' allegations against women's basketball coach Quentin Hillsman

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nowadays when a few players transfer from any program it’s certainly not unusual. But when you lose 11 players, including your freshman phenom, it can’t be easily explained as leaving to, “pursue other options.”

Syracuse has to investigate. Given his long tenure at the school, Hillsman may survive. But he will most certainly have to change his approach to coaching young women.

Reaction Score
A devastating account of Hillman and his work. He'll be gone in minutes (figuratively).

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
One of Geno’s greatest strengths is his ability to adapt. Hillsman does not appear to posess that quality.
It also helps to have the right coaching staff, not only the Xs and Os, but the ability to relate to the current players. Morgan was the right choice, being a younger generation coach who has risen through the ranks associating with younger head coaches, and of course players of all calibers. I'm sure Shea also brought that influence with her, and I applaud Geno and CD for believing that change is necessary to stay connected to todays athlete.

Reaction Score
The fact that he's been kissing his players on their foreheads for years and he nor anyone associated with Cuse thought anything of it is disturbing, particularly in the MeToo era.

Reaction Score

Special Investigation: What's Causing The Mass Exodus From Syracuse Women's Basketball​

The Lead Podcast

If you're unable to read the "Athletic" article, or even if you do have a subscription and are able to read it, and you're interested in this story, here is a LINK to an EXPLOSIVE 20 minute podcast by the authors. It is VERY informative. Also, there are UConn mentions included.

WARNING #1: strong language alert, make sure your little ones aren't around or you are wearing earbuds.

WARNING #2: This podcast opened on my devices inside an existing podcast app on both my laptop and phone. YOU MAY NEED TO HAVE AN AUTHORIZED podcast app to open it yourself.
I do know that it is available on Apple Podcasts and Wonderly. Good luck!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If true, Hillsman’s actions as reported in the Atlantic are not acceptable. But it’s a challenge for all longtime coaches to adapt and change in order to relate to today’s players. It was just the 2017-18 season when Geno struggled to deal with his highly rated freshman class. Ultimately, 3 out of 4 players transferred, and while Megan became an AA, she left for the pros after only 3 years. We can only imagine what might have happened if liberal transfer rules were in place during that season.

After the 2017-18 season Geno made a number of changes in the way he relates to his players. He no longer publicly criticizes players, other than an occasionally mild, often humorous comment. The light hearted banter between Geno and his current players, particularly his freshmen, would have been unimaginable just a few years ago.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If true, Hillsman’s actions as reported in the Atlantic are not acceptable. But it’s a challenge for all longtime coaches to adapt and change in order to relate to today’s players. It was just the 2017-18 season when Geno struggled to deal with his highly rated freshman class. Ultimately, 3 out of 4 players transferred, and while Megan became an AA, she left for the pros after only 3 years. We can only imagine what might have happened if liberal transfer rules were in place during that season.

After the 2017-18 season Geno made a number of changes in the way he relates to his players. He no longer publicly criticizes players, other than an occasionally mild, often humorous comment. The light hearted banter between Geno and his current players, particularly his freshmen, would have been unimaginable just a few years ago.
Inappropriate touching has NEVER been ok. Never, ever. There’s nothing to “adapt” to

Reaction Score
Thank goodness for players like Tiana Mangakahia.
Tiana Mangakahia Responds to Allegations Against Syracuse Women's Basketball Program (msn.com)

Whatever happened at Syracuse, only the players, coaching staff, and managers know the truth. It is just sad, like Ms Mangakahia said, if players don't get their way; minutes or whatever, they make allegations that could ruin a person's name and good standing in the community, family name, and lastly... career. Sadly, whatever comes of this situation in Syracuse, the damage is already done.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Inappropriate touching has NEVER been ok. Never, ever.
Agree, and as I indicate, if Hillsman did what is outlined in the article it is “not acceptable.” However, all coaches and players hug, particularly when the players play their last game. It is perfectly acceptable to do so, provided that coaches understand that such hugs do not entitle them to hug players anytime they feel like it.

Reaction Score
Tiana Mangakahia Responds to Allegations Against Syracuse Women's Basketball Program (msn.com)

Whatever happened at Syracuse, only the players, coaching staff, and managers know the truth. It is just sad, like Ms Mangakahia said, if players don't get their way; minutes or whatever, they make allegations that could ruin a person's name and good standing in the community, family name, and lastly... career. Sadly, whatever comes of this situation in Syracuse, the damage is already done.
I posted before that the Syracuse rotation patterns were strange....too broad and short. It struck me as an effort by a coach to get EVERYONE minutes and to make everyone happy. So...I find Tiana's consistent with that thought.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Inappropriate touching has NEVER been ok. Never, ever. There’s nothing to “adapt” to
The University is not looking good here. Many of the complaints such as kissing on the forehead are similar to the allegations from a decade ago that were investigated and dismissed.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Tiana did not respond to the allegations in the article. She just made a general statement which Syracuse is trying to use to dismiss the allegations. That strategy is one that you appear to have bought into, though I might be misreading your statement. Hillsman has always struck me as a strutting popinjay and the allegations made by his players are consistent with that character type.

To dismiss the complaints as those of disgruntled players can turn out to be true in some instances, but at Syracuse we have 11 players taking a walk. Surely that warrants a dispassionate investigation.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The University is not looking good here. Many of the complaints such as kissing on the forehead are similar to the allegations from a decade ago that were investigated and dismissed.

I had no idea there was a history of similar complaints at Syracuse. That’s a problem.

Reaction Score

The article documents things that seem hard to take as a petty allegation. One was willing to talk about her medical condition after contracting COVID. I have a hard time believing they'd put that information out there along with their name in the story just to stir the pot. They could have left their name out of it entirely.

Other parts seem extreme but like someone else said, an investigation is required before anyone should make any judgements.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom