ASU v UArizona on Dec 29

Who wins?

• Wildcats

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Sun Devils

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Pac-12 opener for both teams. The game is in Tempe with the Wildcats entering undefeated and ASU playing on their home court where they have yet to lose this year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I voted for Arizona because I think they're the better team, but this game will be close and it will be physical. And you know what @triaddukefan says about those in-state rivalry games.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The Wildcats have my full support in this game.

Reaction Score
Nice overview of the Wildcats.

The game Sunday in Tempe will be great.

"Along with the No. 8 field goal percentage in the country on offense, they also have the No. 1 opponents’ field goal percentage on defense. They are No. 5 in opponents’ points per scoring attempt, No. 1 in opponents’ points per play, and No. 3 in steal rate."

Last year the December game was in Tucson and the Wildcats held the Sun Devils to 39 points. I'm hoping this is not going to be a repeat of that.

Reaction Score
An interesting piece in scheduling from Barnes as well:

“Head coach Adia Barnes is kind of over the schedule discussion simply because of how difficult the Pac-12 is. She also had difficulty finding teams willing to play an up-and-coming Arizona team this season.

‘My first year, people were off the hook and now we’re having a tough time finding games,’ Barnes said. ‘But it’s a good problem. But we will have tougher competition, but we won’t ever have eight ranked. We won’t play Mississippi State, UConn, Baylor. Like, we’re just not because I get those in the conference and that’s enough.’”

Reaction Score
An interesting piece in scheduling from Barnes as well:

“Head coach Adia Barnes is kind of over the schedule discussion simply because of how difficult the Pac-12 is. She also had difficulty finding teams willing to play an up-and-coming Arizona team this season.

‘My first year, people were off the hook and now we’re having a tough time finding games,’ Barnes said. ‘But it’s a good problem. But we will have tougher competition, but we won’t ever have eight ranked. We won’t play Mississippi State, UConn, Baylor. Like, we’re just not because I get those in the conference and that’s enough.’”
Interesting philosophy. Although the Texas game this year certainly improves their schedule Barnes clearly indicates she'd rather have a weaker non-conference schedule than conference. That philosophy is the reverse of successful coaches of such as Geno.

Another aspect of that scheduling philosophy might be the difficulty of inducing non-conference powers to play the U of A.

Reaction Score

I agree with the analysis in this preview of this afternoon's game. The Wildcats are ranked 18th while it appears that ASU is ranked somewhere in the mid-50s.

One thing appears for certain this will be a defensive game, whoever hits 60 points should win. Given the two offensive profiles I have to believe the Wildcats come into this game with a decided advantage.

Reaction Score
12-10 Devil's at the end of the first. Mc Donald picked up her second foul 6 minutes into the game and sat the rest of the quarter.

Serious defense in this one so far.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Update.

26-22 Wildcats at the half. McDonald after leaving with her second foul with 4 minutes left in the first quarter sat for almost 9 minutes before re-entering the game.

Reese has eight points and five rebounds to lead the Cats. One of her buckets came on a backdoor with a spectacular assist from McDonald.

Reaction Score
58-53. Cats win.

MacDonald scored 20 before fouling out. Reese chipped in 17.

Takeaways. The Cats have two elite players in Reese and MacDonald. Freshman Pueyo is going to be a great one.

Barnes has created the foundation for an amazing program at Tucson. Wildcats out drew the Devil in our home court as more folks drove up from Tucson to represent than could come from Tempe. The fans were vocal and matched the intensity of the team on the court

The Devils rebounded well and actually have more steals than the Wildcats. However the difference in talent on the floor was obvious. MacDonald is lightning fast and has the ability to create. Reese is a challenging match up.

It's going to be a long PAC12 season for the Devils was they are going to face far more talented teams than the Wildcats. In conference play.

Based on what I saw out today I think the Wildcats could challenge UCLA for the fourth spot in the PAC.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Nice overview of the Wildcats.

The game Sunday in Tempe will be great.

"Along with the No. 8 field goal percentage in the country on offense, they also have the No. 1 opponents’ field goal percentage on defense. They are No. 5 in opponents’ points per scoring attempt, No. 1 in opponents’ points per play, and No. 3 in steal rate."

Last year the December game was in Tucson and the Wildcats held the Sun Devils to 39 points. I'm hoping this is not going to be a repeat of that.
Ok, I read her quote 3 times on the schedule and it still makes no sense to me. It doesn’t give clear specifics of who then she is trying to schedule if not the top few teams. I just don’t buy her logic. She’s been there for a few years now and knew the team was getting better. I want to root for coaches who show logic and accountability. At the moment, I am giving her an incomplete. Her schedule needs to improve SIGNIFICANTLY next year to be considered a strong coach. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom