Assistant Coach Search | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Assistant Coach Search

Reaction Score
All states would be great but they need to focus on states within a certain area. Texas would be awesome but time and expenses would be better spent in the states I mentioned. Georgia and Canada are cool.
Now that we’re independent and can pretty much choose who we play, we should be recruiting hard closer to home. SE starting in FL all the way up the East coast to the North will be smart financially. Recruiting in Texas and some other states that were out of the way were do to the AAC conference we were in.

Reaction Score
I think it’s in geographic footprint and UCONN has landed some fantastic players there.
I agree... we've just been losing a lot as an entire team (coaches included).. Canada is still a fertile ground for football

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
While I agree that Corey could be valuable especially for recruiting...I think he has to go. You don't want to risk a divided locker room. You can feel confident that Spanos or Mazzone would be loyal to Mora. Can you feel the same with Corey?

I think it's too risky. Sucks for Corey, but that's what happens when you work for your dad and he is fired.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm not saying yes or no on Spanos, but let's leave that up to Mora and DB. Lets not pretend there is a compelling case for keeping him beyond his knowledge of the personnel. Our defense has been bad and overmatched.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The people that want to keep spanos and his crap defense for continuity or because the kids like him are idiots. His defense is giving up 38 ppg but hey the kids like him so we gotta keep him. Give me a break
I am not saying keep Spanos and or hire Mazzone...but it wouldn't be the worst idea considering their history with Mora.

My concern would be recruiting. I didn't remember hearing spanos's name a lot with commits. They love him when they get here....but does he have the fire to get them here?

Not sure about that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The people that want to keep spanos and his crap defense for continuity or because the kids like him are idiots. His defense is giving up 38 ppg but hey the kids like him so we gotta keep him. Give me a break
I might not have said it so succinctly, but I’m inclined to agree with this viewpoint.

Reaction Score
My concern would be recruiting. I didn't remember hearing spanos's name a lot with commits. They love him when they get here....but does he have the fire to get them here?

Not sure about that.
Exactly. Normally I would say Spanos should be jettisoned simply because the defense has been horrific. But he has had success with Mora at UCLA so would understand why he might be retained, but it absolutely 100% should not be as defensive coordinator.

UCONN is a tough place to attract talent - you need all hands on deck, the best recruiters available should be hired.

“It’s not about the X’s and O’s, it’s about the Jimmys and Joes” - Bear Bryant

Reaction Score
Also, while I’m not big on comparing one situation to another, having a coordinator here because of a prior relationship reminds me too much of a problem that caused 11 years ago.
And there is that too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Also, while I’m not big on comparing one situation to another, having a coordinator here because of a prior relationship reminds me too much of a problem that caused 11 years ago.
I mean if this is the top items in the con column, DB hit it out of the park.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'm not going to pretend to know if Spanos is any good or not as I don't know enough, I'm just an armchair internet warrior who never played the game. To just look at the numbers may not be enough and, as we've all seen, stats can be made to say anything to support or disprove a point. With the offense often not on the field much, that puts more pressure on the D. Maybe we're young and inexperienced. Looking at the Clemson 2 deep, I see 2 freshman, 2 sophomores, 6 juniors and 1 senior. Not bad, but a couple young spots. The freshman are at the safety spot. Maybe the safeties coach or the linebackers coach or d-line coach stinks. I have no idea.
A long way of saying, if Mora knows Spanos and believes he's the right man for the job, who am I to say otherwise? I will trust his judgement until I have reason not to, like when we all soured on GDL and how most if not all of us feel about Giufre.

Reaction Score
So we know Mora has ties to Mazzone and Spanos, I think it’s a given both are on the staff next year.

Now Mazzone has ties with John Marinelli, former Greenwich High head coach. Marinelli was assistant qb coach at Arizona under Kevin Sumlin and now is an analyst with Illinois. He needs to be brought back to CT - he can be the qb coach. He knows Fairfield County and can be the lead CT recruiter.
Yes please!!!

Reaction Score
While I agree that Corey could be valuable especially for recruiting...I think he has to go. You don't want to risk a divided locker room. You can feel confident that Spanos or Mazzone would be loyal to Mora. Can you feel the same with Corey?

I think it's too risky. Sucks for Corey, but that's what happens when you work for your dad and he is fired.
Outside of what you mention here, my issue with Corey is that we really know how good our TE's actually are. They're so under utilized that I don't think we can make a judgement one way or the other.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom