Ashley Owusu? | The Boneyard

Ashley Owusu?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The saga of Ashley Owusu continues. The player who both Paige & Azzi have said was the most difficult to guard, was looking to start over at Penn St after 3 seasons at MD, 1 at VA Tech and a brief flirtation with turning pro.

In Penn St’s first two games, blowout wins over Bucknell & Navy, Owusu has played exactly 0 minutes. There has been no news relative to injury or any other issue related to her total absence of PT. PSU has gone radio silent.

If anyone has any idea what’s going on, inquiring minds want to know?

Reaction Score
The saga of Ashley Owusu continues. The player who both Paige & Azzi have said was the most difficult to guard, was looking to start over at Penn St after 3 seasons at MD, 1 at VA Tech and a brief flirtation with turning pro.

In Penn St’s first two games, blowout wins over Bucknell & Navy, Owusu has played exactly 0 minutes. There has been no news relative to injury or any other issue related to her total absence of PT. PSU has gone radio silent.

If anyone has any idea what’s going on, inquiring minds want to know?

She doesn’t have immediate eligibility. She filed a waiver that hasn’t been approved yet

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She doesn’t have immediate eligibility. She filed a waiver that hasn’t been approved yet
Thank you. Although that seems odd. She is a grad student who, under normal circumstances, would be immediately eligible?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I understood Owusu has not played because of an injury not eligibility.

Reaction Score
I’ve seen a few articles on Owusu. None mentioned that she was gonna need a waiver to play this year.

Reaction Score
Thank you. Although that seems odd. She is a grad student who, under normal circumstances, would be immediately eligible?

I’m sorry. I’m thinking of diamond johnson. Don’t know anything about owusu

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Owusu has immediately eligibility because she's a graduate student.

From a person I've talked to at PSU, she still has problems with her weight. But she is not injured.
This is a bit of a delicate question. Is there a concern about Owusu’s health or is it just a question of her overall fitness to play basketball?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I ran into Ashley at Reagan National Airport a couple of years ago, when she was coming back from a Team USA tourney that we won. I chatted with her briefly. She seemed like a very nice kid.

Reaction Score

That response sounds vague for intentional purposes. Had thought there was something about her dealing with an injury, but can't find the post on X that mentioned it. It will be interesting to see how long this lasts.

Reaction Score
FWIW, Penn State has a really nice backcourt with Makenna Marisa and Shay Ciezki, Owusu may need to be willing to take a bench role to get minutes, which she wasn't really willing to do last year. I don't see PSU benching their leading scorer (Marisa) or a Freshman who's only getting better and started almost every games last year (Ciezki) for Owusu.

They also have Leilani Kapinus and UVA/Marquette transfer Tay Valladay, if Owusu isn't in shape she might be their 5th best guard.

Reaction Score
FWIW, Penn State has a really nice backcourt with Makenna Marisa and Shay Ciezki, Owusu may need to be willing to take a bench role to get minutes, which she wasn't really willing to do last year. I don't see PSU benching their leading scorer (Marisa) or a Freshman who's only getting better and started almost every games last year (Ciezki) for Owusu.

They also have Leilani Kapinus and UVA/Marquette transfer Tay Valladay, if Owusu isn't in shape she might be their 5th best guard.

Interesting. Appreciate the insight.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Per that point, Penn State just beat last year's WNIT champs, Kansas, 91-85 and Makenna Marissa was, to use one word, spectacular:
11-18 from the field, including 4-6 from three and 8-9 from the FT line. Also had 7 assists. Good win for the Nittany Lions.

If Coach Kieger thinks Owusu should start, she could take Taylor Valladay out of the lineup, since she's more of a PG and Marissa still looks to be directing the offense anyways. But Ashley is kind of a tweener guard and that's what MM is. Always thought this was a bit of a strange pairing because of that.

Reaction Score
Per that point, Penn State just beat last year's WNIT champs, Kansas, 91-85 and Makenna Marissa was, to use one word, spectacular:
11-18 from the field, including 4-6 from three and 8-9 from the FT line. Also had 7 assists. Good win for the Nittany Lions.

If Coach Kieger thinks Owusu should start, she could take Taylor Valladay out of the lineup, since she's more of a PG and Marissa still looks to be directing the offense anyways. But Ashley is kind of a tweener guard and that's what MM is. Always thought this was a bit of a strange pairing because of that.

Ciezki (who is one of the most underrated sophomores in the country IMO) got hurt at the end of the game yesterday. That could potentially open up some minutes for Owusu if it's (hopefully not) long term.

Could Marisa, Ciezki and Owusu work together in a starting lineup? Not sure.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Ciezki (who is one of the most underrated sophomores in the country IMO) got hurt at the end of the game yesterday. That could potentially open up some minutes for Owusu if it's (hopefully not) long term.

Could Marisa, Ciezki and Owusu work together in a starting lineup? Not sure.
Darn....she was just coming off that season-ending injury in the B1G playoffs last year, right? Does anyone know the extent of the injury?
Agree with you: from what I've seen thus far, Ciezki is a keeper.

Reaction Score
Watching the MD game replay today, the woman who was playing the top of the offense for the Terps reminded me of Owusu. Very quick, very good handle and hard to defend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom