Article on why Raegan Beers Chose Oklahoma over UCONN | The Boneyard

Article on why Raegan Beers Chose Oklahoma over UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Interesting Article. Some quotes:

“It came down to the fact of knowing for the next two years where she wanted to be, and not just about winning and not just about maybe going to a Final Four,” Raegan’s father Ike told The Oklahoman. "But being able to make an impact in the community and make an impact with her teammates. She felt like Oklahoma was going to be the best option overall.”

"When it was clear she’d be leaving her community, Beers wasn’t just going to transfer anywhere. Relationships, not a program with history or accolades, were going to be key to landing her."

"Shortly after garnering Beers’ commitment, Baranczyk hired Oregon State’s associate head coach Jonas Chatterton to serve in the same role. Baranczyk and Chatterton were on the same Colorado staff over a decade ago.

In Corvalis, Beers and Chatterton grew close and attended the same church. Beers also helped coach Chatterton’s kids’ basketball teams."

The article also touched on Beers feeling more comfortable in Oklahoma, and they put on a full court press trying to land her.

Reaction Score

“It came down to the fact of knowing for the next two years where she wanted to be, and not just about winning and not just about maybe going to a Final Four,” Raegan’s father Ike told The Oklahoman. "But being able to make an impact in the community and make an impact with her teammates. She felt like Oklahoma was going to be the best option overall.”

"When it was clear she’d be leaving her community, Beers wasn’t just going to transfer anywhere. Relationships, not a program with history or accolades, were going to be key to landing her."

"Shortly after garnering Beers’ commitment, Baranczyk hired Oregon State’s associate head coach Jonas Chatterton to serve in the same role. Baranczyk and Chatterton were on the same Colorado staff over a decade ago.

In Corvalis, Beers and Chatterton grew close and attended the same church. Beers also helped coach Chatterton’s kids’ basketball teams."

The article also touched on Beers feeling more comfortable in Oklahoma, and they put on a full court press trying to land her.
From this, I surmise that part of her decision was based on her attraction to the Oklahoma community which is far more conservative than even Storrs Connecticut........that was what I mentioned when Beers made her decision based on who she followed on social media.......I also assume hiring one of her former coaches only sweetened the pot........we all know that's something that Geno would most likely never do and rightly so.......

Reaction Score
Wild jump to conclusions thinking that by getting one singular 5 star, OU is now a title contender. This is the same team that got their butts whooped by an unranked Princeton last year.

Reaction Score
Princton did have a pretty good Point Guard though!
True true, but the other random guards are there also cooked lol. The one big factor Beers fixes is rebounding. Not quite wiser if it can propel them to even the SEC title but it could definitely help their regular season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn, led by arguably the greatest women’s basketball coach of all time, earned a visit from Raegan. The Beers family was astonished by Storrs, Connecticut, and what Geno Auriemma has built. How could someone turn down the chance to play in Harry A. Gampel Pavilion and alongside Paige Bueckers?

College Sports Sport GIF by NCAA Championships

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Well we kind of knew that when she chose Oregon St to start with. She wasn't looking for rings and FF's.

My brother and his family lives in OK, and they love it there.

Reaction Score
UConn, led by arguably the greatest women’s basketball coach of all time, earned a visit from Raegan. The Beers family was astonished by Storrs, Connecticut, and what Geno Auriemma has built. How could someone turn down the chance to play in Harry A. Gampel Pavilion and alongside Paige Bueckers?

College Sports Sport GIF by NCAA Championships
Because she wanted to be at a place she thought had a better chance of making her happy? Why is this controversial?

I don't like that she chose Oklahoma and I certainly wouldn't want to live there for two years), but it was her choice to make for her.

Brady was the better player coming into college (and a preferred UConn target from early in the process) - let's see if the vaunted UConn staff is capable of "coaching her up" to be as good as Beers.

Reaction Score
Because she wanted to be at a place she thought had a better chance of making her happy? Why is this controversial?

I don't like that she chose Oklahoma and I certainly wouldn't want to live there for two years), but it was her choice to make for her.

Brady was the better player coming into college (and a preferred UConn target from early in the process) - let's see if the vaunted UConn staff is capable of "coaching her up" to be as good as Beers.
I mean we saw glimpses of greatness. In the BE tournament when all the pressure was on her to not mess up or foul, she didn’t. Against USC she had 8 clutch points, from three or a jumper. She has a ton of potential. It’s clear she needed a confidence boost to tap into it.

I find it almost funny how against bottom of the barrel BE competition she fumbled but when it came down to the NCAA tournament and the BE tournament she played like a true 5 star. I guess she really thrives under pressure?

Reaction Score
If those are the (euphemistically stated) metrics that motivate her, she made the right choice, and I wish her the best in her career - except against UConn, of course. ;)

One question, though: I wonder if she has ambitions to play ball professionally, one day? Because that...err, cultural change will probably be rather more dramatic than the one she would have faced at Storrs.

Reaction Score
I mean we saw glimpses of greatness. In the BE tournament when all the pressure was on her to not mess up or foul, she didn’t. Against USC she had 8 clutch points, from three or a jumper. She has a ton of potential. It’s clear she needed a confidence boost to tap into it.

I find it almost funny how against bottom of the barrel BE competition she fumbled but when it came down to the NCAA tournament and the BE tournament she played like a true 5 star. I guess she really thrives under pressure?
I suspect we will see an improved Brady this upcoming season. As you said, she seemed to find her feet a bit toward the end of the season -- especially after AE was injured.

I think she will be more comfortable to begin the season and go from strength to strength as her confidence grows -- the talent is there.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

The kid missed a whole year, and not just any year, her first year. Everyone knows the big kids often have the biggest adjustment, let alone coming off a serious injury. She was starting to look pretty comfortable the last several games. I think we just saw a fairly normal and encouraging progression.

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
5 star, OU is now a title contender. This is the same team that got their butts whooped by an unranked Princeton last year.

Beers isn't enough to make them a title contender. A good team for sure but not a top team.

Reaction Score
Beers isn't enough to make them a title contender. A good team for sure but not a top team.
I think you cut off the first part of my comment saying that it was a “wild jump to conclusions” to think OU was a title contender lmao

Reaction Score
The kid missed a whole year, and not just any year, her first year. Everyone knows the big kids often have the biggest adjustment, let alone coming off a serious injury. She was starting to look pretty comfortable the last several games. I think we just saw a fairly normal and encouraging progression.
Yeah I’m not sure why we were dooming and glooming her. She just came back from a random patella injury. She’s gonna be a little shaky.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

You do realize that the italicized text is a quote from the article, right? The only "controversy" is in your imagination.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Maybe she just felt more comfortable in a very conservative setting. Oklahoma and Connecticut are worlds apart socially and religiously.
Exactly -- and the effect goes both ways. I can't imagine that players like Sue and Diana, or Paige and Azzi for that matter, would consider playing in Oklahoma even if the Sooners had already won 11 National Championships by the time they graduated from high school.

Consider the players who chose UConn over Tennessee in the heyday of that rivalry, e.g., Ann Strother or Swin Cash. I have to think that spending four years in East Tennessee was not an idea that they found appetizing.

Reaction Score
You do realize that the italicized text is a quote from the article, right? The only "controversy" is in your imagination.
Yes, I do. I do apologize if you feel personally attacked by my responding to the general continued discontent over her decision conveyed within that text and gif.

I was merely trying to suggest (obviously poorly or in too succinct a fashion) that this was obviously a big decision for her and involved more than basketball. A choice over which place would lead to her greater overall happiness.

It isn't as if any of us are in a position to say that her choice is wrong. She isn't deciding whether or not to get a face tattoo or something where we can have strong feelings about her perceived foolishness.

It is very likely -- in fact -- that we should admit this was the correct choice for her. People making good choices for positive reasons should not be controversial.

And that we have a fine "consolation price" who very strongly wanted to be here in Ice Brady. We should focus on her instead.

That was all. Sorry about any negative emotions my remarks may have led to.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think we are saying the same thing with different words. Connecticut was too different.
Ok. Just seemed that you felt she chose an easier hoop program to impact and one way or the other that might be the case. Seems from her comments that religion conservatism is a big deal for her. I don’t know how Oregon State fits that mold. BTW. just got back from a beautiful Columbia River trip through OR and WA. Beautiful in most places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom