Article on Graduating Seniors | The Boneyard

Article on Graduating Seniors

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
UConn Men Have Turned It Around In Classroom

Probably have to Google it to avoid the paywall, but this is a great article here. I know a few of these guys took a bunch of flak over their careers, but this is always great to see.

A few great quotes:

"It was really more challenging, going for the master's, because there is so much more work outside of class," Gibbs said. "As an undergrad, most of your work is done in class and right after. But you learn time management as an undergrad, and I wanted to come here to go far in the NCAA Tournament and to say I got a master's degree from a distinguished school like UConn. This beats anything I accomplished on the basketball court."

"Coming in as a freshman, everybody is all excited about basketball," said Nolan, who will get his degree in communications. "Everybody wants to make it to the NBA and make all the money. Then once you get older you realize everybody can't make it to the NBA, so you start to focus on other things and try to come up with a plan, develop a plan for after basketball. I'm in a pretty good place."

Also good to see DHam left in good academic standing.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Great article.

So some coaches want to stop grad transfers and the NCAA is considering options about it. Well maybe they should read this article and take a look at this quote before making a decision.

"It was really more challenging, going for the master's, because there is so much more work outside of class," Gibbs said. "As an undergrad, most of your work is done in class and right after. But you learn time management as an undergrad, and I wanted to come here to go far in the NCAA Tournament and to say I got a master's degree from a distinguished school like UConn. This beats anything I accomplished on the basketball court."

Reaction Score
A gelreqt indepth article about this years teams graduating tribulations. Congrats on everybody on pulling through and most likely giving uconn a 1000 score with this class. Happy for all of them!

Reaction Score
In addition to 6 hoops' student-athletes graduating this year and DHam remaining in good academic standing, several past players are returning to Storrs this summer for classes. Kudos to all!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Someone please make sure that Chief doesn't get a hold of this. I can only imagine what would happen if he found out that our players care about their academics.

Reaction Score
Great article, but I hate that our local press keeps granting legitimacy to the narrative that our program was derelict in terms of school work, as if we're another UNC or worse.

The only way we fell short was in a bogus, arbitrary metric that led to a retroactively-enforced punishment. Our failure was in not gaming the system like everyone else.

Reaction Score
Great article, but I hate that our local press keeps granting legitimacy to the narrative that our program was derelict in terms of school work, as if we're another UNC or worse.

The only way we fell short was in a bogus, arbitrary metric that led to a retroactively-enforced punishment. Our failure was in not gaming the system like everyone else.

Yeah it kind of rubbed me the wrong way, too. Great job by Amore getting all those quotes from the graduating seniors, but I could have done without the smarmy tone that presided over the whole thing. Look at these guys, working with actual, real students on projects and holding up their end of the bargain."

There have always been some uncomfortable overtones to the entire story, and I've long suspected race has played a role. I understand that the article was designed to address perception rather than reality, but, um, journalists are the people who are supposed to be driving perception. These are articles that should have been written five years ago.

Again, not to take away from what Phil, Omar, Gibbs, etc. accomplished. That part of it is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom