Are we sending the marching band and/or cheerleaders | The Boneyard

Are we sending the marching band and/or cheerleaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Thought I had read there would be no cheerleaders or dance team at Mizzou this weekend. Are we sending the marching band at least?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You're kidding, right? We won't send 20-30 cheerleaders, but sign up the 300+ marching band? :)

This is one of the clear indicators that we're still small-time.

Reaction Score
You're kidding, right? We won't send 20-30 cheerleaders, but sign up the 300+ marching band? :)

This is one of the clear indicators that we're still small-time.

Yes and no. You send cheerleaders and/or a ban on road trips to interact with the visiting team section. If you aren't bringing a material number of fans in the first place, it really is just a waste of money. I'm fine not worrying about this except for road games that UConn actually sells some tickets to.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought the band gets one road trip a year. That's fine by me.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Write the check...

If I could, I would. I think it's safe to say a fundraising effort would have to be undertaken here. The band is on a multi-year quest to get the practice tower built, so it's a dream, for now. I would love to know if there is even desire (really) to do this.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We should send some cheerleaders. Even if it's just 5 or 6, we need to send some.

As for a full band, no school sends their full band to all away games. They will send a smaller pep band just to play the fight song and stuff after big plays, but the only times you'll see a fully stocked band would be at games that the school knows it has a full allotment of tickets sold, it's close and there is room inside the stadium they are playing. That said, I hope we send our pep band. Would be a good opportunity to plant our fight song inside the heads of some Mizzou fans. :)

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Where is the guy who offered the free tickets week 1?

IT would be awesome if he wanted to pay the tab for 250 or so Boneyarder Cheerleaders on a chartered flight to Missouri Saturday am and back in the evening.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
We should send some cheerleaders. Even if it's just 5 or 6, we need to send some.

As for a full band, no school sends their full band to all away games. They will send a smaller pep band just to play the fight song and stuff after big plays, but the only times you'll see a fully stocked band would be at games that the school knows it has a full allotment of tickets sold, it's close and there is room inside the stadium they are playing. That said, I hope we send our pep band. Would be a good opportunity to plant our fight song inside the heads of some Mizzou fans. :)

Another small-time bit - we don't really have the "pep band" construct, for football. It's all or nothing. Also, no away performance this year, per their schedule. We don't even bus to Temple. :(

It irks me, because I've seen Clemson drag a pep band to BC multiple times.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Another small-time bit - we don't really have the "pep band" construct, for football. It's all or nothing. Also, no away performance this year, per their schedule. We don't even bus to Temple. :(

Oh really? That stinks. I'll take your word for it since your username indicates that you are an expert in the field.

We need a pep band.

Reaction Score

Don't "irk" so easily. Until we have material numbers of fans at road games, whose cheers do you want them to lead? It can't matter to the players to have no more than a dozen young ladies in the corner of the end zone.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Don't "irk" so easily. Until we have material numbers of fans at road games, whose cheers do you want them to lead? It can't matter to the players to have no more than a dozen young ladies in the corner of the end zone.
Fair, but I would think the temple game should tick enough boxes to warrant the trip.

Reaction Score
UConn has pep bands for the men's team and a separate one for the women's team, mostly for the basketball tourneys although they do play at home games too.
Why not have a small pep band for the away football games? Use one of theirs. How many away games are there ( too lazy to look at the schedule)?

Reaction Score

I've been to ~8-10 games over the past decade at BC including FSU, Clemson, USC, VT, NC State - not once was there a marching band.

Reaction Score
Last 2 years- Stony Brook, BYU, Boise State, Cincinnati, UCF, Temple, SMU, Villanova, and Army all brought their cheerleaders to East Hartford. That would be everyone. Temple and Army had bands. Even a win less SMU team in the rain had that basic level of support seeing you know most schools treat football with more respect than say women's basketball. Apparently these schools can afford it. It just what schools do. It's basic college football traditions. UConn will be playing in front of 140,000 + people at Missouri and BYU and will have nobody on the sidelines to support the team. That is more people than were at the last 8 women's basketball Final Fours combined. 2-0, ESPN Noon game, SEC Country, huge crowd, no big deal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As they were leaving the Army game, we asked the cheerleaders if they were going to Mizzou. They said they were not. We offered to take the U-C-O-N-N letter to the game. They kept their letters.

A version of the pep band for away football games would be great, but it's unlikely. How many teams that visit the Rent bring their own band? One or two per season at best. I don't remember Michigan bringing their band. Temple brought their band last year. They slept in a high school gym the night before the game. Not exactly great digs, even if you are a college student.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I've been to ~8-10 games over the past decade at BC including FSU, Clemson, USC, VT, NC State - not once was there a marching band.
1) Clemson brought a pep band, not a marching band
2) you didn't see a marching band either. Bc doesn't count :)

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I agree with your thought process but when I was in the band we went to Vandy. It was not the whole band but it was a decent amount. I can tell you there were not many UConn fans there. We played at a luncheon and the room was half full. SO there were times when the band was sent and there wasn't a large Away contingent.

Reaction Score
Ewwww.. You go to BC games? You gotta feel dirty after that....Do you scrub yourself off with sos pads in the shower after? How do you live with yourself every day?
I root for the other team :p. I've met some nice people from Clemson, USC, and even VT. FSU fans were by far the absolute worst. There's also a great Mexican place near the stadium. That said, it is nice to be able to roll out of bed, take a 10-15 minute train ride, get a ticket to a huge opponent for under $20 (paid $15 last year for USC!) and see football. For most of the years I've lived here I haven't had a car to get back to Rentschler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom