2020 Recruiting: - are we out of the picture with Cliff? (Moderator Cliff notes: Zionn reiterates for the 437th time post 7 this thread we are out!!) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: are we out of the picture with Cliff? (Moderator Cliff notes: Zionn reiterates for the 437th time post 7 this thread we are out!!)

Reaction Score
Not a huge loss. And this is not me only saying this after we are out. This is not a huge loss. Missing out on Sanogo would be another story.

Reaction Score
Not a huge loss. And this is not me only saying this after we are out. This is not a huge loss. Missing out on Sanogo would be another story.
Bruner with the last scholarship. Sanogo or Etienne as our 2021 big.

Reaction Score
Agreed, Bruner would be a perfect fit for next year. But I think if we have the opportunity to lock up Sanogo and bring him in for 2020 we can't pass that up

C

Chief00

Chief has moved on from the recruiting grind to the strength and conditioning grind. Mortifying how UConn is the only top program that does not have a process in place to prevent Achilles injuries. But Chief is on the case, never fear.
You knowingly or out of ignorance mischaracterize my post and then you argue against that straw man.

Reaction Score
It's a thing ASU fans do. Similar to Texas horns. It's for the pitchfork in their logo.

Bobby could be mocking his little brother with that pitchfork sign, as it appears he's pointing East. :rolleyes:

C

Chief00

We are out on Cliff and have been for some time. As I have posted before, I know people who are really close to the situation. It's ASU in the lead but it's far from a lock for them.

Also, an interesting nugget related to this: Bobby Hurley ASU recently hired Rasheen Davis--the guy who helped bring him here from Africa. Let's just say that DH wasn't too thrilled with that ;)
As Chief tells dudes, the recruiting grind is a tough business even between brothers LOL , but they are fine. It’s the nature of the beast.

Reaction Score
Cliff just posted on the Twitterverse about an hour ago that a commitment date is coming soon....could be more hype but Crystal balls are coming in for AZ State. At least he'll play for a Hurley if he does indeed commit.

Of course his "soon" could mean a lot of things.

Reaction Score
It’s been written in the press that hurleys planning to fill 2 more spots for 2020

Reaction Score
Cliff just posted on the Twitterverse about an hour ago that a commitment date is coming soon....could be more hype but Crystal balls are coming in for AZ State. At least he'll play for a Hurley if he does indeed commit.

Of course his "soon" could mean a lot of things.

I’m just going to assume that after watching Whaley develop into an unstoppable force he realized he didn’t want to come here to sit behind a clearly superior player. The fact that he posted his tweet about a half hour after tonight’s game is all the proof I need.

Reaction Score
It’s been written in the press that hurleys planning to fill 2 more spots for 2020
We heard that last year, too. It didn’t happen. If Al returns we’ll have 0.

Many are apprehensive considering Hurley’s comments after the Xavier game regarding Al but that scholarship is needed in other areas.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
We heard that last year, too. It didn’t happen. If Al returns we’ll have 0.

Many are apprehensive considering Hurley’s comments after the Xavier game regarding Al but that scholarship is needed in other areas.

townes and bruner.

this team is ready. Those guys can play in the big dance.

Reaction Score
Hope the bag is worth it.

I want to understand this. Your theory is Hurley Sr., a basketball coach, raised two sons to follow in his footsteps, but one works for us so he doesn't cheat and the other doesn't so he does?

Could people help me out here? Is that more stupid than assinine or more assinine than stupid?

pj

Reaction Score
I want to understand this. Your theory is Hurley Sr., a basketball coach, raised two sons to follow in his footsteps, but one works for us so he doesn't cheat and the other doesn't so he does?

Could people help me out here? Is that more stupid than assinine or more assinine than stupid?

One son went to Duke. The other didn't.

Reaction Score
One son went to Duke. The other didn't.

As a one-liner, I like that.

But it really ticks me off when anonymous message board posters, with no reason, determine it's o.k. To allege violations that could cost a coach their career. If the poster were a student, would it be o.k. for me to use his real name and say he cheated on his finals and should be thrown out of his school?

pj

Reaction Score
As a one-liner, I like that.

But it really ticks me off when anonymous message board posters, with no reason, determine it's o.k. To allege violations that could cost a coach their career. If the poster were a student, would it be o.k. for me to use his real name and say he cheated on his finals and should be thrown out of his school?

The NCAA doesn't punish coaches when there is evidence of payments. We'll see if anything comes out of the FBI case, but nothing came out of Duke players' family members getting jobs, etc, etc. So the risk to a coach from speculative innuendo on an opposing message board is nil.

Reasonable people can differ, but I think we're more at risk from a culture of deceit and covering up corruption than we are from people going overboard based on innuendo from anonymous jokers online. In a corrupt environment, a little subversive humor that helps unearth suspected corruption may be a good thing.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Next year we are probably the strongest we’ve been at the 1 through 4 as we’ve been since 2014.
Being there is only 1 senior starter this season:
Whose going to replace CV's numbers?
A freshman will not put up those across the board stats

Reaction Score

I have no idea in this situation but the truth is that often times at many schools the coach doesn't have to be involved in a recruit getting extra benefits. I assume a lot of coaches don't want to know. Someone like Coach K for example, who gets players that are clearly getting extra benefits, their family members getting jobs, etc, doesn't have to know exactly where its coming from and if he does he can play dumb because he probably has 0 communications about it. I don't think Arizona State is at that level but you never know.

Reaction Score

The hiring of assistant coach Rasheed Davis at ASU is a primary reason he is considered an ASU lean, especially after his visit. Rasheed recruited him while he was at UMass years ago and went to school with Cliffs guardian. That’s the connection.

Reaction Score
It won't just come from 1 player, it'll have to come from small to medium jumps from multiple players. The scoring may come from a combo of adding Cole and Gaffney becoming more agressive/looking to score. The rebounding may come from Bouk improving his defense and being on the court more and Springs getting minutes

Reaction Score
Word out here is he’s ASU bound. Like I said before, ASU basketball is an afterthought out here behind all the pro sports teams. Spring training baseball and even U of A basketball.

Reaction Score

It won't just come from 1 player, it'll have to come from small to medium jumps from multiple players. The scoring may come from a combo of adding Cole and Gaffney becoming more agressive/looking to score. The rebounding may come from Bouk improving his defense and being on the court more and Springs getting minutes

Ding ding ding. Cole will be in his 4th year, not a freshman. He averaged 23.5 points per game in his 2nd year. Sharing the ball more against tougher competition, he'll get in the mid teens likely. Whaley's average will go up 4-5 points and cover the rest. Gaffney will probably get an extra bucket as well. I expect Bouk to average about the same number as he's doing in February (19), because his shooting has been red hot and will likely regress a bit over a full season.

I expect Bouk, Adams, and Jackson to absorb most of Vital's lost rebounds. Cole will get his assists. We likely won't replace all his steals, but Cole has a decent knack for it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom