April, 2009 Renee Montgomery, Geno Auriemma, & Rebecca Lobo | The Boneyard

April, 2009 Renee Montgomery, Geno Auriemma, & Rebecca Lobo

Reaction Score
GENO AURIEMMA, RENEE MONTGOMERY AND REBECCA LOBO!

Every year I post this story of Renee Montgomery, Geno Auriemma and Rebecca Lobo. ENJOY this great article!

At the Final Four in April 2009 Rebecca Lobo was with a group of reporters interviewing Geno Auriemma,

She asked him if he had read that mornings Jeff Jacobs column in the Hartford Courant?

He said he didn’t, and she read it to him:

After a 26-point performance against Stanford that surely will carve her name into UCONN legend, Renee Montgomery ran off the court and into the arms of her coach, Geno Auriemma had more than a hug waiting Sunday. He had a message.

“He told me, ‘I always wanted you to have the last practice and play the last game the way it was supposed to be played,’”

Montgomery said on the eve of her final college game and her first national championship game. “Sitting here now, I know what he meant. Everything he says is starting to make sense to me.

Four years and 150 games, Coach finally makes sense. I think he’d crack up at that.”

Basketball is a team game, of course, and nothing can be greater than the collective pursuit of a 6th NCAA title, a third perfect season. Still, as the final hours of Montgomery’s UCONN career tick toward a matchup with Loiusville and her friend Angel McCoughty, it’s impossible not to see an extraordinary bond forged between Auriemma and the senior from West Virginia.

He wants this championship for Renee Montgomery. He wants it bad.

“I don’t know if I’ve wanted anything more than I want this,” he said.

There is a point where planning ends and basketball begins, of course, and it meets at a mutual understanding between a coach and his point guard. Ultimately, they must think as one, hear each other’s words before they are spoken, speak volumes with one look.

Any time there is a chance to win a national championship, you can follow that trail and it leads right to the point guard or to a guard who can control the game.”

Auriemma said. “You add to that the special ones who just transcend all the practices, drills, X’s and O’s, bus travel, air travel, film sessions.

“They’re not about just, ‘How are we going to guard the pick-and-roll.’ That’s so insignificant when you’re talking about those players, and certainly Renee. I really admire her as a person.

Even when she didn’t talk to me for a couple of years when Tonya (Cardoza, now Temple’s coach) was her coach, I still admired her”.

Oh, they enjoyed taking playful jabs at each other.

Auriemma talks about how Montgomery, early in her career, ran to his former assistant for TLC. Montgomery talks about how Auriemma yelled so much she couldn’t understand him. Clearly, it took much more than getting Montgomery weight from 115 to 140 pounds – full racks of ribs from Wings over Storrs helped there – to fill out Auriemma’s demands for his lead guard. Jen Rizzotti, Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, they’ve all shouldered the burden, and it was Montgomery’s turn.

“I can only imagine how hard it was for him to have a player like Diana and to have to rebuild his program all over again,” Montgomery said. When I was a freshman, he’d say things to me like, ‘You need to know what everyone on the court is doing at all times. ’I’m thinking this is not possible. He’d go, ‘If anybody messes up, it’s your fault.’ When you’re a freshman, it’s like, man, this is hard. He’s crazy.

“He would just yell so much It’s not that I tuned him out, but I wasn’t receiving the message. He’d go, ’Go talk to your mom (Cardoza)’ I think he was frustrated that he’d tell me something and it would take her to tell me for it to hit home.”

Montgomery said Cardoza translated for her. He meant look for the backdoor If Ann Strother is on the left side, you want to go to her side. She had to learn what to do herself before she told her teammates what to do.

The turning point came in her sophomore year. She began to understand the game. She began to understand her coach. Instead of left out, she would become his right arm.

“It was an interesting process,“ she said. “When I would think something was almost perfect at practice, he’d go, ‘It’s not ok.’ I’m like, what’s your problem? He’d always say, ‘I’ve been there. I know what it takes to win.’ I believed him.”

Belief is a powerful weapon. And that belief could make her a national champion and the No. 1 player in the WNBA draft.

“Now when we come to a timeout I already know the idea of what we’re going to do,” Montgomery said. “I’ll call a play and he’d go, ‘Yeah, yeah.’

He’d call something, and I was already thinking it. To be on the same page as him, it makes me excited. I think he’s a basketball genius.”

Renee would catch herself in mid-sentence sometimes and remind you how much she loves to talk. And on this day, she was in prime form. She talked about sitting in Geno’s office four days after last year’s Final Four loss to Stanford, telling him how depressed she was. Geno’s response? Are you going to do something about it?”

So the team began offseason workouts early. Auriemma took the team to Camp Jewell in Colebrook. Cabins in the woods? Montgomery doesn’t like the outdoors, but she was intent on making the most out of the experience. The players talked about roles and leadership. They bonded even as they argued over the board game “Cranium.”

Craniums were coming together. And now a team full of extraordinary talent stands at the cusp of greatness.

Watch films with us. See the mistakes,” Montgomery said. “We’re not so great.”

She watched the men fall to Michigan State and her heart went out to A. J. Price and Jeff Adrien. After the Maryland women lost, she saw the tears. All this made her nervous knowing how the seniors must feel. Angst, never satisfied. Folks, she’s even starting to fuss and sound like Auriemma.

“Every team has somebody like Renee, “ Auriemma said “But not all fairy tails end with the prince taking the princess home and living happily ever after. Sometimes it doesn’t end right.”

And that’s when he said he never wanted anything more than he wants a national title for his point guard.

“I put my trust in him,” she said. I think that’s why he wants me to win. He how much I put into wanting to be coachable, a good teammate and good person….Contrary to what he believes, I’ve liked him ever since I got here.

“Except I love him now.”

As Rebecca read the last line, Geno started crying and walked away.

Shocked, Rebecca said, “That’s the only time in all these years I’ve seen Geno cry!”

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
During Maya's interview after announcing her retirement she talked about her favorite UConn memory being the preseason before her sophomore year. That's the time Renee talks about in this interview, after the disappointing loss to Stanford and before their undefeated national championship season.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I guess Nika's turning point came in her Junior year, because it appears that the light has switched on and she is now the team general. Maybe she will be able to lead the Huskies to the finish line this year without Paige and Ice.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I guess Nika's turning point came in her Junior year, because it appears that the light has switched on and she is now the team general. Maybe she will be able to lead the Huskies to the finish line this year without Paige and Ice.
I think the light came on for Nika last year - she played wonderfully through all the issues the team had. She is playing even better this year but the progression started last year, just not with 'the prince taking her home.'

Reaction Score

Every year I post this story of Renee Montgomery, Geno Auriemma and Rebecca Lobo. ENJOY this great article!

At the Final Four in April 2009 Rebecca Lobo was with a group of reporters interviewing Geno Auriemma,

She asked him if he had read that mornings Jeff Jacobs column in the Hartford Courant?

After a 26-point performance against Stanford that surely will carve her name into UCONN legend, Renee Montgomery ran off the court and into the arms of her coach, Geno Auriemma had more than a hug waiting Sunday. He had a message.

“He told me, ‘I always wanted you to have the last practice and play the last game the way it was supposed to be played,’”

Montgomery said on the eve of her final college game and her first national championship game. “Sitting here now, I know what he meant. Everything he says is starting to make sense to me.

Four years and 150 games, Coach finally makes sense. I think he’d crack up at that.”

Basketball is a team game, of course, and nothing can be greater than the collective pursuit of a 6th NCAA title, a third perfect season. Still, as the final hours of Montgomery’s UCONN career tick toward a matchup with Loiusville and her friend Angel McCoughty, it’s impossible not to see an extraordinary bond forged between Auriemma and the senior from West Virginia.

There is a point where planning ends and basketball begins, of course, and it meets at a mutual understanding between a coach and his point guard. Ultimately, they must think as one, hear each other’s words before they are spoken, speak volumes with one look.

Any time there is a chance to win a national championship, you can follow that trail and it leads right to the point guard or to a guard who can control the game.”

Auriemma said. “You add to that the special ones who just transcend all the practices, drills, X’s and O’s, bus travel, air travel, film sessions.

“They’re not about just, ‘How are we going to guard the pick-and-roll.’ That’s so insignificant when you’re talking about those players, and certainly Renee. I really admire her as a person.

Even when she didn’t talk to me for a couple of years when Tonya (Cardoza, now Temple’s coach) was her coach, I still admired her”.

Auriemma talks about how Montgomery, early in her career, ran to his former assistant for TLC. Montgomery talks about how Auriemma yelled so much she couldn’t understand him. Clearly, it took much more than getting Montgomery weight from 115 to 140 pounds – full racks of ribs from Wings over Storrs helped there – to fill out Auriemma’s demands for his lead guard. Jen Rizzotti, Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, they’ve all shouldered the burden, and it was Montgomery’s turn.

“I can only imagine how hard it was for him to have a player like Diana and to have to rebuild his program all over again,” Montgomery said. When I was a freshman, he’d say things to me like, ‘You need to know what everyone on the court is doing at all times. ’I’m thinking this is not possible. He’d go, ‘If anybody messes up, it’s your fault.’ When you’re a freshman, it’s like, man, this is hard. He’s crazy.

“He would just yell so much It’s not that I tuned him out, but I wasn’t receiving the message. He’d go, ’Go talk to your mom (Cardoza)’ I think he was frustrated that he’d tell me something and it would take her to tell me for it to hit home.”

Montgomery said Cardoza translated for her. He meant look for the backdoor If Ann Strother is on the left side, you want to go to her side. She had to learn what to do herself before she told her teammates what to do.

The turning point came in her sophomore year. She began to understand the game. She began to understand her coach. Instead of left out, she would become his right arm.

“It was an interesting process,“ she said. “When I would think something was almost perfect at practice, he’d go, ‘It’s not ok.’ I’m like, what’s your problem? He’d always say, ‘I’ve been there. I know what it takes to win.’ I believed him.”

Belief is a powerful weapon. And that belief could make her a national champion and the No. 1 player in the WNBA draft.

“Now when we come to a timeout I already know the idea of what we’re going to do,” Montgomery said. “I’ll call a play and he’d go, ‘Yeah, yeah.’

He’d call something, and I was already thinking it. To be on the same page as him, it makes me excited. I think he’s a basketball genius.”

Renee would catch herself in mid-sentence sometimes and remind you how much she loves to talk. And on this day, she was in prime form. She talked about sitting in Geno’s office four days after last year’s Final Four loss to Stanford, telling him how depressed she was. Geno’s response? Are you going to do something about it?”

So the team began offseason workouts early. Auriemma took the team to Camp Jewell in Colebrook. Cabins in the woods? Montgomery doesn’t like the outdoors, but she was intent on making the most out of the experience. The players talked about roles and leadership. They bonded even as they argued over the board game “Cranium.”

Craniums were coming together. And now a team full of extraordinary talent stands at the cusp of greatness.

She watched the men fall to Michigan State and her heart went out to A. J. Price and Jeff Adrien. After the Maryland women lost, she saw the tears. All this made her nervous knowing how the seniors must feel. Angst, never satisfied. Folks, she’s even starting to fuss and sound like Auriemma.

“Every team has somebody like Renee, “ Auriemma said “But not all fairy tails end with the prince taking the princess home and living happily ever after. Sometimes it doesn’t end right.”

And that’s when he said he never wanted anything more than he wants a national title for his point guard.

“I put my trust in him,” she said. I think that’s why he wants me to win. He how much I put into wanting to be coachable, a good teammate and good person….Contrary to what he believes, I’ve liked him ever since I got here.

“Except I love him now.”

Shocked, Rebecca said, “That’s the only time in all these years I’ve seen Geno cry!”
Thanks for posting. Wonderful story. Made me cry too.

Reaction Score

“Except I love him now.”

Thank you for posting this!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom