Apparently Cam Thinks WE Can't Handle Numbers | The Boneyard

Apparently Cam Thinks WE Can't Handle Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Apparently Cam Thinks WE Can't Handle Numbers
Cam put this on the Devil's Den...Division 1 WBB Expenses per team...http://www.wbbstate.com/info/teams-hoopsbudget

I thought I got the link in a thread on the Boneyard, but I think I found the link from a poster on either this board or Rebkell; cannot remember which right now.

My apologies. I thought it had been posted here.

Last edited by a moderator:

JS

Reaction Score
Over the last 10 years we have had the least expense per championship :) .

And who has the most expense
per first-round exit?

ncw_a_cain_200.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I thought I got the link in a thread on the Boneyard, but I think I found the link from a poster on either this board or Rebkell; cannot remember which right now.

My apologies. I thought it had been posted here.

Okay, just don't hold out on us again!

Reaction Score
There are a few things to keep in mind when looking at these expenses:

1. Any cost of renting arenas is included as an expense, so a school that rents an arena will normally have a lot more expense than a school that always plays in a facility they own.

2. Cost of scholarships is much higher for most private schools as opposed to public schools. For example, Colgate - a D1 weakling who doesn't emphasize basketball - ranks 140th out of 342 schools with expenditures of $1.427M. However Colgate's tuition, room, and board runs at $58K per year, making the cost of 13 scholarships $750K - far more than most schools.

3. Unusual expenses - such as bonuses for coaches meeting certain goals such as winning their league, winning a certain number of games, advancing in the tournament, etc - are included and may skew a given year. Same with buy-outs for coaches who are fired.

4. Ivy's do not count any financial aid to athletes, since those payments are hypothetically the same for all students. Army also does not list many expenses.

5. Teams that advance deep into the postseason will have more travel expenses (but also more revenue).

6. Many expenses are not defined in the government report from where Basketball State got its info. For one big example, there are many expenses in an athletic department that can either be allocated to a given team or charged off as general expenses, such as maintenance expenses of a team's arena, practice facility, or training facility. Also certain personnel costs. UConn, for example, has about $21 Million of athletic expense that is not allocated to a given sport.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The saying goes, "You get what you pay for," and the 342nd and last team on the list is also the one that had 0 wins this year.

I guess now that UTenn can no longer claim the RPI or SOS titles, they can be dancing in the TBA aisles now that they have the expenditures title. And UConn could probably get down to a more sustainable level if it shortened up its bench. The school would probably save a bundle if it rented a 6' sized bench for the season.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There are a few things to keep in mind when looking at these expenses:

1. Any cost of renting arenas is included as an expense, so a school that rents an arena will normally have a lot more expense than a school that always plays in a facility they own.

2. Cost of scholarships is much higher for most private schools as opposed to public schools. For example, Colgate - a D1 weakling who doesn't emphasize basketball - ranks 140th out of 342 schools with expenditures of $1.427M. However Colgate's tuition, room, and board runs at $58K per year, making the cost of 13 scholarships $750K - far more than most schools.

3. Unusual expenses - such as bonuses for coaches meeting certain goals such as winning their league, winning a certain number of games, advancing in the tournament, etc - are included and may skew a given year. Same with buy-outs for coaches who are fired.

4. Ivy's do not count any financial aid to athletes, since those payments are hypothetically the same for all students. Army also does not list many expenses.

5. Teams that advance deep into the postseason will have more travel expenses (but also more revenue).

6. Many expenses are not defined in the government report from where Basketball State got its info. For one big example, there are many expenses in an athletic department that can either be allocated to a given team or charged off as general expenses, such as maintenance expenses of a team's arena, practice facility, or training facility. Also certain personnel costs. UConn, for example, has about $21 Million of athletic expense that is not allocated to a given sport.
Good points all, though the NCAA I believe picks up most of the expenses for the tournament teams. Also while the scholarship issues is valid, most scholarship athletes get charged as 'out-of-state' which takes the state schools pretty high as well. The other item in a coaches compensation that can be massaged is the appearance and special fees that can be part of the program expenses, the general AD funds, or the general University fund depending on how the admin wants to expense it.
Number 6 is the biggest black hole when trying to compare programs as every athletic department (and university) allocates general expenses differently and can massage this number any way they want and it can represent a huge portion of a programs expenses.
And the same happens on the revenue side in terms of how moneys are accounted for from things other than gate receipts.

Reaction Score
Good points all, though the NCAA I believe picks up most of the expenses for the tournament teams. Also while the scholarship issues is valid, most scholarship athletes get charged as 'out-of-state' which takes the state schools pretty high as well.

The NCAA definitely picks up the expenses for NCAA tournament teams but I think it goes onto the books as expenses for the team that are then offset by revenue, i.e. a check from the NCAA. If you look at a team that makes the NCAA one year and is sent 3000 miles away and then stays home the next year, the expenses for Year 1 will normally be higher.

And, yes, most scholarships are charged at the out-of-state rate, but even then many state schools will be $14K-$20K cheaper - which can make a difference of over $200k for an entire team. Colgate's charge per player is almost $60K, while the comparable figure for UConn is about $42.7K and for Tennessee it is about $38.5K for out-of-state.

Reaction Score
We always knew that they stay in the best hotels, eat in the best restaurants, etc. But, in the end I guess it pays off. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom