AP | The Boneyard

AP

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
2018 Women's College Basketball Rankings and Polls for Week 1 - ESPN

No surprise, I think this poll is better than the coaches poll. As it almost always is.

Given that the coaches poll is more like the "coaches' office assistants poll filled out absentmindedly between coffee runs" that's not a surprise.

My only gripe with this AP poll is that I don't buy the Ohio State hype. But Kelsey Mitchell is a big star and some of their overrated supporting cast has been around for a while and has some name recognition. So I understand how it happens. They finished last year 15 in Sagarin. I don't see them becoming a top 5 team this year with basically the same group (minus Shayla Cooper).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Given that the coaches poll is more like the "coaches' office assistants poll filled out absentmindedly between coffee runs" that's not a surprise.

My only gripe with this AP poll is that I don't buy the Ohio State hype. But Kelsey Mitchell is a big star and some of their overrated supporting cast has been around for a while and has some name recognition. So I understand how it happens. They finished last year 15 in Sagarin. I don't see them becoming a top 5 team this year with basically the same group (minus Shayla Cooper).

If the Shepard decision was announced early enough, I think ND would have been #5. MM will have her in shape and she fits the offense well. Still much better poll imho. Particularly the Unanimous UConn #1 and a more sober placement of SC as a #4.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Miami shouldnt be ranked... they are at best the 7th best team in the ACC. We will see... maybe they will surprise me.

edit: I shouldnt post until after I get some carbs in my system. Head bang They arent ranked after all :p

Dont get Louisville at #9. They arent better than Duke. No bias here

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Carl Adamec is an AP voter and this is his top 10:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not trying to get ahead of things, but have we had seasons when we were unanimous #1 in every poll? How many times were we unanimous #1 in the first poll?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
My biggest questions is Ohio State a top five team?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If the Shepard decision was announced early enough, I think ND would have been #5. MM will have her in shape and she fits the offense well. Still much better poll imho. Particularly the Unanimous UConn #1 and a more sober placement of SC as a #4.
Frankly seeing her conditioning at Nebraska I don't really see her being in shape until next year. By then it will be proven to her that her eating, workout, and practice habits were substandard.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Frankly seeing her conditioning at Nebraska I don't really see her being in shape until next year. By then it will be proven to her that her eating, workout, and practice habits were substandard.

I imagine that even though she was so out of shape and she thought she would be red-shirted this year, Muffet must have prepared her off season conditioning
to a point that she could at least practice and practice shape at a good program is often better than game shape. I am curious.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I do usually like the this poll better.

It is just preseason but I still cant understand Baylor @#3.

The Bears lost so much in Nina Davis, Alexis Jones, and Alexis Prince.

Yes--they have Kalani Brown and Lauren Cox but I am very suspect of their guards especially early on as they do not have a seasoned slasher like Alexis Jones that could create her own shot and drop 30 every night if she wants. Skeptical at this point. Its early so they could very well be highly ranked all season due to poor out of conference schedule.

Baylor, Ohio State, and Texas are the other teams besides UCONN I am most interested to see where they land at the end of the year.

Reaction Score
I seem to remember last year about this time UCONN was not ranked # 1. Many BY's argued the point that UCONN, the reigning NC, earned the right to be ranked # 1 and should stay there until knocked off their throne. This being the case and let's be fair from those who argued this point, South Carolina should be ranked # 1. OK gang, let's go at it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Interesting that Tennessee's beat writer Dan Fleser voted the Lady Vols at #20.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom