OT: - Anyone here visited Normandy? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Anyone here visited Normandy?

Reaction Score
Normandy including DDay beaches was spectacular. we stayed in Bayeux too , a great home base. The American cemetery is just beautiful with its vista. we were able to look up some relatives that are buried there. Our trip included Mont st Michel which is nice to see but a huge tourist trap. you need to get there when they open and head to the top before all of the busloads arrive. We too used Amboise as a home base to see all of the Chateaus in the Loire valley. A must see are the gardens at Villandry. We have been to France 4 times now with our last trip in June to the alps and Burgandy. We rent a car and driving is very easy. We always end our trips to France with 4-5 days in Paris , we usually stay in the Latin quarter about a block and half from Notre dame. There is so much to do including people watching when sitting at a cafe.

Reaction Score
Stayed at Belle Normandy this past June. Very nice accommodations and right in heart of town close to all historical attractions. Would recommend a guide for a day to really take in the history and not try to do it by yourself. Also they take care of transportation which Normandy is much much bigger than people realize.

Reaction Score
Nan, We have ben to Ireland 5 times now . We have been all over the island and our favorite spot is the Dingle peninsula. We always go for 2 weeks and drive everywhere but in Dublin. In Dublin suggest the Jail house tour , Dublin castle , Trinity College library and the Guiness tour for the view at the top. My wife is 100 % Irish heritage and mad that her dad did not get an Irish passport before he died. She would buy a house there if I agreed, not happening.

Reaction Score
Nan, Fade street social restaurant if you want a great place to eat in Dublin. We always meet my wife's friend there when in Dublin.

Reaction Score
We stayed in a reasonably priced hotel on Mont St Michel. Walking through the streets at night, without the crowds, was a time-trip adventure, and taking a midnight, self-guided tour through the candle lit Abby Cathedral, with Gregorian Chants playing, still haunts my memory. One thing to remember is to watch out where you park your car so that when the tide comes in it won't float away! Also, if time allows, go to Bruges, Belgium, which is a true "hidden gem" in Europe, well worth a visit. I recommend looking at "Full Suitcase" which an interesting and very helpful site for practical world travel. It's loaded with great photography. Bon Voyage!

Reaction Score
Nan, We have ben to Ireland 5 times now . We have been all over the island and our favorite spot is the Dingle peninsula. We always go for 2 weeks and drive everywhere but in Dublin. In Dublin suggest the Jail house tour , Dublin castle , Trinity College library and the Guiness tour for the view at the top. My wife is 100 % Irish heritage and mad that her dad did not get an Irish passport before he died. She would buy a house there if I agreed, not happening.
I'm with you about Dingle, Topsail. I mentioned County Kerry earlier... Dingle is among its gems. If you're an adventurous driver, Nan, visit Dingletown, and then head out to the tip of the peninsula. It's worth every minute.

I've really enjoyed here all the posts about Normandy, the D-Day sites and France in general, too. Paris is my favorite city.

Nan, I'm sure you're top of this, but preparations for the Olympics and then the Games themselves will be dominating Paris and its environs right up through the summer (hopefully at least several Huskies will be there).

One advantage to the Games is that Paris is working OT to get Notre Dame back to its full grandeur by springtime so, no matter when you're there, Nan, you'll get to see it at its best, if you can brave the crowds.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We’re planning a trip to England and France next year. We’d like to spend a couple nights in the Normandy area as my husband‘s area of interest in history is WW2. Any suggestions for pretty towns and atmospheric auberges in the area?
OMG! Nan you guys are going to have a wonderful time and you will want to stay a little longer. Depending on your level of exploring, I would say rent a car and tour the countryside. Public transportation is nice but you don't get the chance to really explore to much with public transportation. We rented a car and cruised the area, and I will be honest, I went full geek mode. The little villages are so awesome! Northern part of Normandy and the Southern part is really cool as well. A few things that I would suggest.

1). Naturally in step with the WW2 area of interest, you guys have to go to one of the D-Day beaches. I will be honest; it hits you in the Feels department. Just a powerful and emotional place, especially if you love history and military history.

2). Rouen-It is gorgeous there. The people are super cool and the vibe is off the charts. It is just an awesome place.

3). Bayeux- They have a nice museum dedicated to WW2 that is pretty nice.

4). Try the cider. Never been much of a cider fan until we went to France and I tried it over there and I have been hooked ever since. Of course, our (America) cider is a lot different than a few places that I have gone to over the years, but France has some really decent cider.

Have fun. I love Europe.

Reaction Score
As for England, just about anywhere is worth visiting, but the Lake District is one of the most beautiful areas in all of the British Isles. Lands End and the Cornish villages are also breath taking. London is first, of course, and it's one of the easiest cities to get around in. And they mostly speak English...ie. some of the dialects are a mite hard to understand, but no big deal.

Reaction Score
We’re planning a trip to England and France next year. We’d like to spend a couple nights in the Normandy area as my husband‘s area of interest in history is WW2. Any suggestions for pretty towns and atmospheric auberges in the area?
1. "couple nights" might not be enough.
2. You want to be driving a rental car (I'm just making sure; you may already...)
3. Cemeteries... The "Saving Private Ryan" idea. Went there with my Dad...
and landing sites
4. The Caen Museum -- The museum - Mémorial de Caen -- fantastic
(this would be a good way to start the tour; pretty central)
5. *** Read "All the Light We Cannot See" then go to Saint-Malo -- "pretty town"!
6. Make time to check out the Bayeux Tapestry at Musée de la Tapisserie de Bayeux
(Check to see schedules and need for reservations)
The Tapestry is amazing. Tells the story of the Norman Conquest
7. Mont-Saint-Michel
8. Honfleur -- "pretty town" (stop at the harbor for lunch?)
9. If you ride throught the Chunnel, and have time, drive by Amiens, Dunkirk, and maybe Ypres (WWI museum in the town hall very good)
10. Enjoy!
Don't get me started on England (keep the car; driving is fun!)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I should clarify that we will not be renting a car in any country. Our impeccable travel agent arranges our travel so we’re keeping it as simple as possible. We know we won’t see everything. My husband and I do still work a full time jobs so our time has to be scheduled wisely

Reaction Score
My wife and I are working with a travel agent on a trip planned for next September that would include Normandy, the Loire Valley and Paris. While in Normandy, we’ll be staying in the seaside town of Bayeaux, which is just a short distance from Omaha Beach.

While we like to be on our own, we will be joining a small group with a guide for a tour of the beaches, Pointe du Hoc and the US cemetery. My understanding is that our tour will end at sundown in the US cemetery when a bugler plays taps.

Some of the other sites we hope to see while in Normandy are the museum at Caen and the Airborne Museum at St Mere Eglise. On the way out of Normandy we may take a side trip to the abbey at Mont St Michel.
Bayeux is not seaside, but it's not very far from the coast. It's where we stayed when we visited the Normandy beaches. Great little town. Don't miss the famous tapestry. Caen museum is excellent. And DO NOT miss Mont St. Michel!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Nan, visited Normandy on a river cruise from Paris to Normandy and spent a couple extra days in Paris. Highly recommend the river cruise and depending upon the cruise line, it may have a historian provide an overview of the D Day operation. I have taken a number of river cruises and the Seine cruise is my favorite. It hits all the highlights as well as some smaller Gems like Honfleur. It's a relaxing way to see all the sites without a lot of hassle as the tour guides were very knowledgeable.
We did a French ricer cruise in the other direction from Paris on the Rhonr. to the Riviera. River cruising is great. We dud 3 in Europe . . My wife passed away a year ago this week. We have friends we traveled with a lot and i decided to join them next May on a river cruise in the US on the Columbia and Snake rivers.

Reaction Score
I'm with you about Dingle, Topsail. I mentioned County Kerry earlier... Dingle is among its gems. If you're an adventurous driver, Nan, visit Dingletown, and then head out to the tip of the peninsula. It's worth every minute.

I've really enjoyed here all the posts about Normandy, the D-Day sites and France in general, too. Paris is my favorite city.

Nan, I'm sure you're top of this, but preparations for the Olympics and then the Games themselves will be dominating Paris and its environs right up through the summer (hopefully at least several Huskies will be there).

One advantage to the Games is that Paris is working OT to get Notre Dame back to its full grandeur by springtime so, no matter when you're there, Nan, you'll get to see it at its best, if you can brave the crowds.
We were in Paris by accident during fashion week, I can only imagine what it will be like next year for the olympics. You could not get a cab anywhere , every place was crowded. The only good thing was people watching at the cafes. I never have seen so many " different " people in my life. we were sitting at a cafe one day with some dog star with a camera crew and all.

Reaction Score
We have spent a good deal of time in Normandy. If your husband's area of interest is WWII, you must go to the Normandy beaches. There are museums and tours that are first rate. And plenty of charming towns. Honfleur is one of the most charming. My wife and I are going to be in Normandy ( with relatives who live there ) for Xmas. Enjoy.

Reaction Score
You didn't mention the time of year for which this trip is planned (unless I missed it). Normandy is fabulous, and, though apple and pear blossoms are features of Spring, so, alas is rain! The WWII memorial beaches are truly moving, and, your husband's special interests notwithstanding, you will find the experience equally inspiring. I'm not clear on how you intend to get around, but my favorite small and stunningly picturesque village to use as a base of operations is Honfleur. As Yogi Berra was fond of saying, "you could look it up." It's a good idea to rent a car there for a day or two so you can then explore the beaches on your own, leisurely schedule.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Bayeux is not seaside, but it's not very far from the coast. It's where we stayed when we visited the Normandy beaches. Great little town. Don't miss the famous tapestry. Caen museum is excellent. And DO NOT miss Mont St. Michel!
I stand corrected. Bayeaux is on the Aure River approximately 10 kilometers from the coast.

Reaction Score
Nan, I stayed at the Churchill Hotel in Bayeux and found it to be quite satisfactory. The Bayeux Tapestry
Museum, the Battle of Normandy Museum, the British War Cemetery, and the Cathedral are all an easy
walk from the hotel.

The invasion beaches and the WW II Museum in Caen are not within easy walking distance, but I think
it likely that you can find tours/transportation info at the Bayeux tourist center just a short walk up the
street from the hotel, or perhaps from the folks at the hotel.

Reaction Score
1. "couple nights" might not be enough.
2. You want to be driving a rental car (I'm just making sure; you may already...)
3. Cemeteries... The "Saving Private Ryan" idea. Went there with my Dad...
and landing sites
4. The Caen Museum -- The museum - Mémorial de Caen -- fantastic
(this would be a good way to start the tour; pretty central)
5. *** Read "All the Light We Cannot See" then go to Saint-Malo -- "pretty town"!
6. Make time to check out the Bayeux Tapestry at Musée de la Tapisserie de Bayeux
(Check to see schedules and need for reservations)
The Tapestry is amazing. Tells the story of the Norman Conquest
7. Mont-Saint-Michel
8. Honfleur -- "pretty town" (stop at the harbor for lunch?)
9. If you ride throught the Chunnel, and have time, drive by Amiens, Dunkirk, and maybe Ypres (WWI museum in the town hall very good)
10. Enjoy!
Don't get me started on England (keep the car; driving is fun!)
Just watched #5 on streaming, and it was great. #3 would be enough for me.

Reaction Score
The Dordogne river region is my favorite part of France. Best food anywhere. Spring is the best time, only because the summer can be unbearably hot and with wicked thunderstorms. Lyon is nice too, again for the food and wine. If your husband’s interest is WW2 the remnants of the Maginot Line is are very interesting. I saw parts it near Belfort France many years ago.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I would definitely spend a day in Dover - there is a metric crap ton of history at the top of the hill outside of town. There’s a second century Roman lighthouse, Henry’s big ass castle and the tunnels where Dunkirk was planned and carried out.

The best hotel in Dover is a Travel Lodge. I am not kidding. The best restaurant is called the White Horse Inn. The second best is a Burger King.

If you take the ferry over to France and intend to come back, double check the passenger rules. You might have to steal a bike in France to get back on the ferry to England because they do not always accept pedestrians. (Solution - steal a bike. It happens.)

Stay wherever in France. Bayeux is close if you want to stay for a day or two. What to visit is obvious….the beaches, the cemetery.

Rouen is a good pick to go to from there - beautiful city on the Seine, like 70 miles from Normandy. Radisson Blu was a nice hotel. Paris is probably about 90 minutes away by train. We stayed at the Hilton Paris Opera - actually last month. If you don’t mind walking, the Champs, Arc and ET are walkable from there. Their air conditioning and water pressure are the gold standard in a country where both are considered almost impossible to master.

French people are annoying, but you get used to it - they will be nicer to you when they decide that you are not British. Not very nice, but mildly nice - they get less mildly nice the further you get from Paris. If you get as far as Bordeaux, they struggle to tolerate your existence.

They do not know how to make an ice cube or air condition a building, so keep that in mind if you are traveling in summer.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We stayed in a reasonably priced hotel on Mont St Michel. Walking through the streets at night, without the crowds, was a time-trip adventure, and taking a midnight, self-guided tour through the candle lit Abby Cathedral, with Gregorian Chants playing, still haunts my memory. One thing to remember is to watch out where you park your car so that when the tide comes in it won't float away! Also, if time allows, go to Bruges, Belgium, which is a true "hidden gem" in Europe, well worth a visit. I recommend looking at "Full Suitcase" which an interesting and very helpful site for practical world travel. It's loaded with great photography. Bon Voyage!
Saw Bruges on one of our river cruises. Beautiful city. A bit out of the Way for Nan I would think. First time I ever saw a dog in a restaurant was on Mt. Saint Michel. Not the highlight of the trip.

Reaction Score
Yes. It's amazing. Be sure to take a guided tour of the invasion area from a highly rated company. It's over 50 miles long! Too much to see in one or two days. Stay in Caen.

Reaction Score
French people are annoying, but you get used to it - they will be nicer to you when they decide that you are not British. Not very nice, but mildly nice - they get less mildly nice the further you get from Paris. If you get as far as Bordeaux, they struggle to tolerate your existence.
With due respect, Fishy, if you find French people annoying you might be some of the cause... with comments like that I'm not surprised. I've enjoyed my interactions with the French.;)

Reaction Score

Did a Band of Brothers tour in 2017 that started in Paris and then followed the 101st Airborne’s path from Normandy all the way to Hitler’s Eagles Nest outside Berchtesgaden. In Normandy Bayeux is a neat place to stay, and not far to the coast. In addition to other recommendations you’ve received the museum at St Mere Eglise where a replica of the paratrooper hanging from the church steeple is still there is very good, along with the museum at Utah Beach and a statue of Dick Winters not far from Brecourt Manor.
I found the French people in Normandy very welcoming and I was amazed how emotional many still were about the war and thankful for what the Americans did for them. Language was a little more of an issue in Normandy than anywhere else we went but it’s always easy to find someone who spoke English to help. The wife spoke speaks some French and I basic German so we managed fairly well.
I have to admit the posters recommending drinking the Calvados are tougher than I am, but the French wines were amazing, and the Belgians and Germans can definitely do beer although it’s easy to let your fuel-air mixture to get too rich since it’s 8-11% alcohol. You will enjoy Normandy

1701848784180.jpeg

Reaction Score
Talk to some locals if possible. The farmer who picked me up when I was hitchhiking through Normandy nearly 50 years ago was grateful beyond words for what the Americans did to liberate France. I suspect the feeling is still shared by many.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom