OT: - Anyone here know anything about trees and shrubs? | The Boneyard

OT: Anyone here know anything about trees and shrubs?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I have a 100 linear foot area in which I'd like to put in a living fence. The house across the street is up a hill (~15' elevation), and I'd like some seasonal privacy during the warmer months.

I'm thinking about planting some full, flowering trees about 15' apart, with a bush/shrub or two to fill in the open space between the tree trunks and up to the lower canopy.

Worth noting: There are power lines about ten feet in front (not sure how high, but they're "normal" height for power lines). So I'd like trees that max out at around 20 to 25 feet. Preferably trees that are about six feet tall when planted, but grow to full size (25' tall, with a canopy of ~15') by the end of the summer. But that's not a deal breaker.

Any suggestions for plants, or design?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Avoid black walnut trees. They'd fit your description, but you'll be cleaning up black walnuts for a few months every year. And you don't want to run your lawnmower over those bad boys.

Arborvitae not a consideration? That's the most common solution where I live.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Avoid black walnut trees. They'd fit your description, but you'll be cleaning up black walnuts for a few months every year. And you don't want to run your lawnmower over those bad boys.

Arborvitae not a consideration? That's the most common solution where I live.

A neighbor had arborvitae. It looked great until it got some type of infestation.

Reaction Score
Arborvitae: we have them bordering in our neighbor's yard. Been there for a good 10+ years, only a couple died at the initial planting.

Reaction Score
Leyland cypress might help you - although if you want it to look like standard grade A italian cypress you'll have to do a bunch of pruning and shaving work over time to get it to be less like a Christmas tree. Good privacy though.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
What kind of sun do you get and what kind of other trees surround the area? Id shoot for a quick grower that tops out around 15'. Some Japanese holly between trees would look great imo. Theyre much more vertical than other hollys.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
What kind of sun do you get and what kind of other trees surround the area? Id shoot for a quick grower that tops out around 15'. Some Japanese holly between trees would look great imo. Theyre much more vertical than other hollys.

Full sun.

Reaction Score
Arborvitae are commonly used, but not a good choice if you have a lot of deer nearby (unless you like the topiary look). Mixing trees and lower level shrubs might leave the two varieties in competition, with the latter suffering after time. If you'd like year-round privacy, pines are another, more fool-proof option. They're pretty fast growing, but do drop a % of their needles each fall. Kousa dogwoods and cherry trees make nice flowering specimens. A good nursery should be able to give you advice about what might do well in your soil, what will, or won't, fill in quickly and be disease/pest resistant.

Reaction Score
I have a 100 linear foot area in which I'd like to put in a living fence. The house across the street is up a hill (~15' elevation), and I'd like some seasonal privacy during the warmer months.

I'm thinking about planting some full, flowering trees about 15' apart, with a bush/shrub or two to fill in the open space between the tree trunks and up to the lower canopy.

Worth noting: There are power lines about ten feet in front (not sure how high, but they're "normal" height for power lines). So I'd like trees that max out at around 20 to 25 feet. Preferably trees that are about six feet tall when planted, but grow to full size (25' tall, with a canopy of ~15') by the end of the summer. But that's not a deal breaker.

Any suggestions for plants, or design?

Call up Sprucedale Gardens, in Woodstock, CT. 860-974-0045. Owners are extremely knowledgeable & happy to help, and they have great prices.

(Also they are my parents.)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You said summer months right? I'd just go with something like Bradford Pear trees, and Forsythia in between.

Reaction Score
If it's for privacy, you want an evergreen in the back.
Hemlocks can be an alternative. They get big, but are easily kept in check with pruning.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
If it's for privacy, you want an evergreen in the back.
Hemlocks can be an alternative. They get big, but are easily kept in check with pruning.

I'm staying away from evergreens. Woolly Adelgid have killed my hemlocks, and the other evergreens haven't done well either.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
You said summer months right? I'd just go with something like Bradford Pear trees, and Forsythia in between.
Forsythia are among the devil's favorite noxious weeds. Once established, they require constant pruning to keep from over-running everything, and send out subterranean runners that spring up as new plants in completely inappropriate areas. Once you make the commitment to get rid of them --and you will -- it takes a few years of ripping out stuff that comes up in all sorts of places. All for 3 weeks of nice yellow foliage in April.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Forsythia are among the devil's favorite noxious weeds. Once established, they require constant pruning to keep from over-running everything, and send out subterranean runners that spring up as new plants in completely inappropriate areas. Once you make the commitment to get rid of them --and you will -- it takes a few years of ripping out stuff that comes up in all sorts of places. All for 3 weeks of nice yellow foliage in April.

Haven't had a problem with mine, but they do spread like mad. Pick another shrub then. I like Boxwoods.

He's clearly looking for deciduous trees though. Pears, some cherrys seem to reach the height he wants and stop. Dogwoods could work.

Reaction Score
Boneyard knows all! Trees shrubs not for me....

Now bushes, let me know if you need a hand!

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I've always been a fan of lilacs. They can grow into very dense stands that rival evergreens for privacy, are hardy, smell nice, and have pretty flowers.

Reaction Score
The final 4 is Saturday and Monday coming up and the discussion on the yard, bushes and lilacs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
EASTERN-REDBUD_450_MAIN.jpg

Eastern Redbud. Not too tall but takes up a lot of space and is attractive,

I'd consider Dogwood if you aren't allergic.

My favorite tree in my backyard is Magnolia, gorgeous but the blooms don't last long.

There's a ton of similar choices.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
EASTERN-REDBUD_450_MAIN.jpg

Eastern Redbud. Not too tall but takes up a lot of space and is attractive,

I'd consider Dogwood if you aren't allergic.

My favorite tree in my backyard is Magnolia, gorgeous but the blooms don't last long.

There's a ton of similar choices.

Red Maple is another good one, but might be a little slower growing than the more flowery species, and to get nicely shaped trees, you've got to space them properly, and until they fill out, they won't do much for privacy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom