Any MIR news? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Any MIR news?

Reaction Score
It's not intended to insult Mir, but it is objectively looking at her 'competition' for playing time. First she is faced with an almost identical clone in Aubrey. I hear that Mir is even more athletic than Aubrey, but Aubrey starts the year with cache for her performance last year. Then there is Anna a 6'2" sharpshooting passing wiz who again has a really good performance form a year ago. If she wants to play at the 4 there is Aaliyah in her way. An aggressive rebounder/defender, big enough, strong enough to score down low with accuracy to the line. I really don't see her taking minutes from an apparent 4 guard rotation or in the post. Mir is great and I'm glad we have her and I would not be surprised that there will be a time when she steps up and is a key to victory for us. But right now she seems to be in line of 8 others.
I mean no offense but what are you basing most of this on? Hartford Courant preseason articles? A random Geno off-season quote? HS rankings? Yes Mirs high school competition may have been limited but she went to all the big AAU showcase tourneys like everyone else. Again 2 words why I think she can get time: defense and rebounding!

3 point lead with 45 seconds left who do you think would be a better ‘get one stop’ 1 on 1 defender Makurat or Mir? (Yes I know I’m ignoring a million different factors just a random example). Personally I have no idea but there are a million nuances that just get glossed over when everyone plugs people into lineups.

Reaction Score
Do you have proof that C. Williams has no interest in playing hounding man to man defense?
I have watched every UConn game she has played in at least once and I havent seen it. I have watched Geno in person on the bench get into her about it.... She has an amazing level of talent so the last question is what is going on between the ears....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe I am paraphrasing Muggsy Bogues who could dunk at 5'3". Who said something like he could jump with anyone in the league. The only problem was it took him longer to come down. :eek: :eek:
Do you remember watching Gabby when she got up off the floor faster than anyone to grab a rebound and then went back up a second time with a shot while others were still coming down? Mir just explodes off the floor like that. How long did it take me to see her athleticism? Somewhere in the first second of the game. She owned the center tap! Her team already had the ball, and the other center is thinking, "WTH, where did the ball go?"

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do you have proof that C. Williams has no interest in playing hounding man to man defense?

I have watched every UConn game she has played in at least once and I havent seen it. I have watched Geno in person on the bench get into her about it.... She has an amazing level of talent so the last question is what is going on between the ears....
If you are looking for Christyn Williams to be a "hounding shut down perimeter defender" you will probably never see it. If you are looking for a UCONN WBB player that is not "interested" in playing defense (regardless of type) you will not find one on the UCONN roster as long as Geno is the coach. Your description is making Christyn Williams sound like Arike. Christyn is a very good (max effort) defender.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If you are looking for Christyn Williams to be a "hounding shut down perimeter defender" you will probably never see it. If you are looking for a UCONN WBB player that is not "interested" in playing defense (regardless of type) you will not find one on the UCONN roster as long as Geno is the coach. Your description is making Christyn Williams sound like Arike. Christyn is a very good (max effort) defender.
What description? I asked a question about her interest in playing defense. How does one know how interested a player is in playing defense unless one can see inside their minds?

Reaction Score
I disagree on Edwards, she might be a starter based on experience.

she could be at some point this season............going to have to fight it out with Griffin if Geno goes with one forward other than ONO as a starter.........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What description? I asked a question about her interest in playing defense. How does one know how interested a player is in playing defense unless one can see inside their minds?
Not you. @DEpup describe Christyn as "Unfortunately Chrystin doesn't have the interest in it ". It being playing defense. I agree with you there is no way for him to tell how " interested" she was in it.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Mir last spotted approximately 40 degrees south 160 degrees west descending rapidly. ;)

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I mean no offense but what are you basing most of this on? Hartford Courant preseason articles? A random Geno off-season quote? HS rankings? Yes Mirs high school competition may have been limited but she went to all the big AAU showcase tourneys like everyone else. Again 2 words why I think she can get time: defense and rebounding!

3 point lead with 45 seconds left who do you think would be a better ‘get one stop’ 1 on 1 defender Makurat or Mir? (Yes I know I’m ignoring a million different factors just a random example). Personally I have no idea but there are a million nuances that just get glossed over when everyone plugs people into lineups.
I'm basing it on years of watching a lot of reading and the words of the head coach. In the scenario you have presented you only give me the option of Makurat. If quickness, open court defense is required I would choose Aubrey. Why, because she has already done it at a D1 level. The players I mentioned have done all that Mir has done and much more. Please understand I am not insulting Mir. She's a McDonalds AA. Which, I assume, is the toughest competition she has faced. It doesn't compare to a full season of croatian pro league or the international training and tournaments others have faced.

Reaction Score
One of the things I think comes with having more good teams is then the need for not only depth but diversity in your depth to be able to easily adjust to different matchups and styles from game to game.

If you are playing a guard focused team then you want to have the ability to bring your guard defense in waves against them. If you are playing a big oriented style than you also want to have bigs to keep throwing at a team.

The flexibility is needed these days so I think you'll see different bench players shine and get substantial minutes based on matchups throughout the season and that is a good thing for UConn. Having plan A, B, and C is good.

I prefer having teams match up to UCONN rather than UCONN looking to match up to others.

Reaction Score
There will be situations where Geno will not need any offense from Mir, but need her more on the defensive end of the court. He'll have 4 other shooters on the floor.

She can concentrate on rebounding and getting steals until her offensive game comes around. Her skills and athleticism will make room for her.

She is not ready for "prime time" play yet, but it will come. If not this year, next year for sure (sophomore leap). She'll get plenty of opportunity during conference play against the 2nd tier teams.
Agree that there are games and situations where offense is not needed - these are not in the top 5 games where we need 5 players executing bothways at 100%. Last year was great example where the better teams loaded up on the 4 scorers, disrupting UConn's offense. Defense couldn't offset that 5th player who didn't contribute points.

My hope for Mir is that unlike Aubrey last year, she can play an offensive role like Gabby and Collier early in their UConn career. They were effective through movement, pick and rolls, short jumpers, etc. Mir appears to be a smart player who hopefully adjusts quickly to UConn's offense.

Reaction Score
I prefer having teams match up to UCONN rather than UCONN looking to match up to others.
From my perspective, that thought process worked when there were just a few elite teams but there are now more good teams that are spreading out talent with different playing styles so UConn needs to evolve too.

Empires fall when they believe they are untouchable and don't need to continuously evolve and adapt...

Reaction Score
Agree that there are games and situations where offense is not needed - these are not in the top 5 games where we need 5 players executing bothways at 100%. Last year was great example where the better teams loaded up on the 4 scorers, disrupting UConn's offense. Defense couldn't offset that 5th player who didn't contribute points.

My hope for Mir is that unlike Aubrey last year, she can play an offensive role like Gabby and Collier early in their UConn career. They were effective through movement, pick and rolls, short jumpers, etc. Mir appears to be a smart player who hopefully adjusts quickly to UConn's offense.
Defending good guards takes a lot of energy as well as continuously changing the look. If Mir can come in and give some energetic one on one defense as a change up from the starter for a couple minutes to give a different look as well as elevate and get a few rebounds with a put back or two getting fouled per game, I would call that freshman success. What's good about depth is we don't need her to be a huge contributor for success.

Reaction Score

I think it is possible to largely agree with you both of you here. Like Husky in SC I think Mir has a few players ahead of her for playing time whether you think of her at the 4 (Aaliyah and Aubrey) or as a 3 (Anna and Evina) and yes I know Evina is not just a 3 but may get a-lot of time there. The point is Geno doesn't have to go outside of those four to cover the minutes at the 3 & 4 position if everyone is healthy, and not in foul trouble.

But even if you are number 9 in a largely 8 player rotation, injuries, illness, and foul trouble happens so you get some significant minutes because of that as needed. But Deuce points out scenarios where Mir might be a logical situational substitution, comparing her defense and rebounding to Anna's for example. That makes complete sense too.

If the shot clock is off and Uconn is preparing for the last shot, I probably want Anna on the floor, although you could even make a case for Mir in the Dennis Rodman offensive rebound role. If the role was reversed and the opposition is taking the last shot I would prefer Mir vs Anna as the better defensive/rebounding player.

In some games and matchups Geno might tweak the 8 player rotation beyond just last possession changes, and maybe Mir or Piath gets spot duty because of the matchups. For both of those players if they do very well in situational substitutions and with mop up minutes in blowouts, and approach the level of the rotational players, Geno might consider it advantageous to use 10, try to fast break and press a-lot and wear other teams down. I would personally like to see that, but it requires 9 & 10 to be pretty close to 1-8 or I don't think Geno will do it, and that means Mir and Piath probably have to show more to achieve that.

I really don't question at all Mir's ability to play defense and rebound. I fully expect her to be way above average on both of those traits, and for a player around #9 in potential minutes, she will probably be exceptional on those traits, and even if mediocre on other things, a bench star that on most teams would be a starter, and on most ranked teams even if on the bench would be number 6 or 7, not further down the rotation.

Would she and maybe Piath have gotten significant minutes on last year's team in lieu of Kyla and Molly? Probably, but this is not last year's team. 9 and 10 this year is probably better than 7 and 8 last year but will get less minutes. Next year after adding 3-4 very good pieces if you are not in the rotation whether it be 8 or as much as 10, you will get very few minutes. Being a very good college bench player will not get you many significant minutes on this team, unless you can contribute more than one of the rotational players who all should be very good.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
From my perspective, that thought process worked when there were just a few elite teams but there are now more good teams that are spreading out talent with different playing styles so UConn needs to evolve too.

Empires fall when they believe they are untouchable and don't need to continuously evolve and adapt...
Have you been reading Eddie Gibbon during your "downtime" ? ;)

Reaction Score

I say this in complete fun- please take it that way.

I don't believe it's evolving by not playing your best players. I think it to be an illusion to hope that 9th/ 10th players on the bench can be just as good as superstars and other All-Americans. Superstars still will dominate games moreso than bench players. The 6th player is fine maybe the 7th and rare teams have an 8th- but after that - call your bookie and go extremely heavy on the superstar.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Eddie? Somehow I don't think that was ever his nickname. Appreciate the reference however.
That is what we called him back in Putney! Before he hit the big time in London. :cool:

Reaction Score
Does anyone have any inside info on an important question about Mir - where did her name come from? I know, from her parents, but it is an unusual name. The only Mir I know of is the Russian space station that is no more. Mir translates from Russian as, variously, peace, world or universe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom