Any Castle news? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Any Castle news?

Reaction Score
Guessing Hurley is going to withhold info as long as possible or say he's a game time decision to keep Kansas guessing
This. UConn withholding the information on Castle as late as possible can only help UConn as it broadens the opponents' scout plans.

If Castle can't play against Kansas, continue with this same strategy indefinitely until Castle returns.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
He had a procedure on 11/16. The type of procedure was never revealed publicly. DH was quoted as saying he did not tear anything and it was best possible case scenario. Now we have announcers and reporters saying SC is expected back soon after having knee surgery in mid November. Since I am not a doctor I have no idea what type of surgery other than a meniscus surgery would put the recovery time at 2 to 4 weeks. Would not expect him back in games until mid December. If it is sooner great if not let’s hope he is healing well.

Reaction Score
Kemba is why I question the shave...He lost 5 years of his career because of his knees
I think at the point you have any sort of operation… shave or full repair, you will probably have more problems in the future as a NBA player trying to play 80 games a year. We will never kno, but Kemba might have had the exact same problems either way, and his stellar junior year is what lead to him having a NBA career. Had he had the full repair and missed most of JR year, he may have never had a chance to,play in NBA. Castle probably wants to go pro next year, and missing most of the season with a full repair might jeopardize that.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score

Man, Hurley sounds like he smoked a couple packs of Marb Reds. UNH game really stressed him out. I can’t wait for Steph to return, he takes us from a very good team to a great team.

Reaction Score
Man, Hurley sounds like he smoked a couple packs of Marb Reds. UNH game really stressed him out. I can’t wait for Steph to return, he takes us from a very good team to a great team.
Let Castle take as much time as he needs. The kid moves with tremendous velocity on the court and the force he demonstrates cutting and stopping/starting is not to be toyed with insofar as a knee injury is concerned. It's be nice to beat Kansas but by no means is it a requirement. Same with Gonzaga.

These OOC games away from the East Coast annoy the crap out of me unless connected to a Holiday tournament.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Let Castle take as much time as he needs. The kid moves with tremendous velocity on the court and the force he demonstrates cutting and stopping/starting is not to be toyed with insofar as a knee injury is concerned. It's be nice to beat Kansas but by no means is it a requirement. Same with Gonzaga.

These OOC games away from the East Coast annoy the crap out of me unless connected to a Holiday tournament.

I completely agree! No need to rush him back. His long-term health is what’s most important.

Reaction Score
There is no way Hurley will rush him back and let him play before he is physically ready. When your recruiting goal is to compete with Duke, Kansas, Kentucky for the top tier recruits every year and walk away with a few, then you will not rush your highest rated recruit in some time and chance a reinjury or aggravation of a previous injury or risk a catastrophic injury because a part of the body was weakened and the athlete wasn't at full strength.
Plus, you don't win a championship in the beginning of December.

Reaction Score
Kansas isn't a deep team, so even w/o Castle on a neutral court I think good guys win by a few baskets.....but at KU will likely be a nailbiter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A bit of an outlier thought....but is it better long term if Castle doesn't play? Winning or loosing 1 game doesn't change the season. But, if we see Kansas in the FF or E8, and their only experience is playing us without Castle, does that give us a major advantage in a matchup?
You can't plan for a hypothetical re-match. It's better for Castle to play than to not play. But he probably won't play.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Unfortunately I have just as much insight on this as y'alls do. Based on the timeline I suspect the injury is a mild MCL sprain (though I could be wrong), but recovery after that kind of injury can range from 1-6 weeks, depending on the player and the sport. Basketball is pretty demanding.

Biking is fine, knee movement is in-line and there's no impact. Cutting, planting, change of direction, jump stops will all put a lot more stress on a healing ligament. And practice is different than the games, when you need to be able to forget about the knee and just play. Leave it to the MD who, I'm sure, is examining him probably once or twice a week. They'll clear him when he's ready and with minimal re-injury risk.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
The article posted earlier in this thread. Certainly sounds like an arthroscopic meniscectomy given the 2-4 week timeframe.
OK, I missed the report on surgery. If a meniscus tear that required partial resection then timeline is similar, 2-6 weeks depending on how the knee responds postop. If he's already practicing at least a little that's a good sign.

Reaction Score
Now that it’s been reported it’s easier to discuss. He had a partial menisecrony. Small flap tear from what I’ve been told. It’s all about his rehab now. When the swelling goes down and he gets his normal motion and explosion back he will be cleared. Next week is definitely quick but reasonable.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You know nothing about mojo, idiot.
Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Now that it’s been reported it’s easier to discuss. He had a partial menisecrony. Small flap tear from what I’ve been told. It’s all about his rehab now. When the swelling goes down and he gets his normal motion and explosion back he will be cleared. Next week is definitely quick but reasonable.
Hurley said he did not tear anything in his first report on November 17th. I am pretty sure we are all still guessing. If he did suffer a minor meniscus tear, I think Hurley should have chosen his words better. I have no issue with the fact that he admits to using misinformation in this situations to mess with the other team, but if he did tear something he should have stayed away from that comment altogether. Just my perspective. So until I see something definitive I will take him on his word “best case scenario for Steph he did not tear anything just a general cleanup.” Either way the recovery time seems to have stayed consistent. But today is 15 days since the procedure just don’t think there is any reason to bring him back. Hopefully he gets through practice a few times there is no swelling and he can get a few minutes against UNC. Ramp it up a little more against Ark PB and be close to full speed against Gonzaga. I would sign up for that outcome.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom