OT: - Any advice on finding a lost dog? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Any advice on finding a lost dog?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
At the end of the day every tracking system requires you to have some means of communication with the pet. Even GPS trackers can go squirrely if there is heavy top cover.

You're doing the right thing of going through the different technologies and fingering out what works best for you.
I have a Garmin InReach (wich is satelite based and requires no cell coverage) for my own backcountry adventures. But the doggy versions seem over the top and the collar itself is pretty spendy. Think I'll try something like the Tractive.

Senna's at the vet now for them to take a look at a pretty nasty cut on her leg. We think one of the dogs she was playing with may have bitten her. Apparently she sqealed loudly not long before he dissapeared. That's pretty routine for her ("heelers are squealers"), but when she gets hurt she tends to totally panic - so that may have been what caused her to bolt.

Reaction Score
Very nice. I always used the car trick when my dogs got loose. Fortunately, this didn't happen often. They would run from me but usually couldn't resist the opening of my car door. Glad all is well.
Car door WITH a piece of cheese in your stretched out hand. Imagine if we had the insane drive and desire for food the way some dogs have. We would weigh 800 pounds.

Reaction Score
Thanks to everyone who helped us here.

My wife stayed overnight at the place where the dog went missing. Apparently she went out and called for the dog a few times during the night. Around 4:30 she jumped in our truck, which has a ridiculous LED light bar (thanks to the previous owner) and started driving around back roads again. Just before 5 she saw the dog dart across the road about 3/4 of a mile from where she was last seen, and finally managed to track her down. The dog was obviously freaked out, and tried to run away from my wife, but she finally got her into the vehicle. She's kinda banged up, but they just got home about 30 minutes ago.

Phew. Thanksgiving has been saved.

Thanks again!
Man I am happy to hear this.

Reaction Score
Air Tag wouldn't help if she's in the middle of nowhere, half a mile from the nearest network or Apple device.
As per my other post: AirTags work off of bluetooth/apple users so they need to be around Others. If your dog is lost in the woods I don’t think they will work

Make sure whatever u get has GPS AND cell coverage. Make sure it’s waterproof too. And check the refresh rate…some that claim ‘live’ coverage refresh every 10 min or so. We r very happy with the Jiobit

Jiobit tracker

Reaction Score
Looks like GPS-based devices like Tractive still need cell coverage to work, but better than nothing. I guess if I'm in the middle nowhere, and I don't have coverage on my cell, I'm out of luck anyway without something like a satelite based Garmin InReach device or something similar.
This is another option. Kind of expensive.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

My wife stayed overnight at the place where the dog went missing. Apparently she went out and called for the dog a few times during the night. Around 4:30 she jumped in our truck, which has a ridiculous LED light bar (thanks to the previous owner) and started driving around back roads again. Just before 5 she saw the dog dart across the road about 3/4 of a mile from where she was last seen, and finally managed to track her down. The dog was obviously freaked out, and tried to run away from my wife, but she finally got her into the vehicle. She's kinda banged up, but they just got home about 30 minutes ago.

Thanks again!
Awsome news, 87!! I feared the worse.

Reaction Score
Awsome news, 87!! I feared the worse.
Especially in a new place at night with lots of other wildlife around. She was prob trying to track u guys hence why she stayed around. Heelers r very smart…sometimes too smart

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Maybe tape a bike flag to the dog...

1669229601826.png

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Glad you found your dog. I was thinking about this all day and was so happy to see the dog returned safely. Sadly I feel more for the dog/owners more than people in most cases like this. I am sick, I know.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
For people not familiar: HomeAgain is actually free. The fee you are paying is for extra stuff. If you don't pay it they still retain your information.

Yeah, it gives you a number to call, etc. Not sure it's not worth it but it's pennies a day; $22 is less than what his daily walks cost.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Yeah, it gives you a number to call, etc. Not sure it's not worth it but it's pennies a day; $22 is less than what his daily walks cost.
I’ve used it and for the small price you get a tag with contact info on it and they hold events where you can have your dog chipped if he/she hasn’t been already. Only thing is that others in your neighborhood would have to use it also as it only sends alerts to other Home Again members locally when you mark your pet as lost.

My dog passed away last year but if he were still around, I would probably go the AirTag in his collar route as well.

Happy to hear this all worked out though!

Reaction Score

Thanks again!
Not a dog owner but relieved you found her. Great news.

Reaction Score

Thanks again!

Great news!

Reaction Score
Aple Air Tag or something else in your case?

Yeah the apple one. Like I said, our dogs are not necessarily wanderers and they're chipped so we use the tag generally only when we're in a spot where our lab might possibly get spooked and bolt. Our other dog is an English bulldog so she can absolutely fly over short distances but she's not running away from home any time soon. We would find her snoozing on the sidewalk a couple blocks away.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
When I told my daughter that 70+ people from the UConn BB forums have jumped in to offer help and best wishes, she couldn't believe it.

Thanks again folks!

Reaction Score
When I told my daughter that 70+ people from the UConn BB forums have jumped in to offer help and best wishes, she couldn't believe it.

Thanks again folks!

I rarely tell my wife anything about the Boneyard because she mocks me relentlessly but believe me we were both relieved to see your update this morning!

Reaction Score

Thanks again folks!
How’s the pooch doing. Snoozing from all the stress?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You guessed it. She got a few staples on the leg wound, so now she's on pain meds. But she's got a pretty pink bandage to show for it.
View attachment 81028
Great to see. I see her wrapped leg. I bet she’s happy to be home and might think twice next time. Also, If she doesn’t need to finish pain meds pm me for my address.:)

Reaction Score
She knows she's home.. All that matters for a pup.. I hope she learned her lesson about straying. Grateful goin' into Thanksgiving.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Thanks again folks!

And you told your daughter this info so she will bother you less in the future while you are Boneyarding since daddy may be doing good work on the BY helping other people.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom