Ania, part deux | The Boneyard

Ania, part deux

Reaction Score
Like many other fans of UConn WBB, I find seasons such as the current one, when NC contention is certainly no given, nevertheless highly entertaining. Seemingly unlike many others, I think Geno really does know what he’s doing, and that assessment does not fluctuate on a week-to-week, or game-to-game basis. His unparalleled history with the program has taught many of us to focus unwaveringly on the long view, and to know that these ”reloading” seasons can be fully appreciated on their own merit…more championships inevitably lie around the corner, so why not sit back and enjoy watching the building blocks being patiently assembled?

Last week, in an attempt to inject a note of positivity to counteract all the hand-wringing on our forum, I tried to point out some pleasing aspects of Ania’s developing game (does anyone here remember that, prior experience notwithstanding, she remains just a Freshman?) and to offer a vote of confidence in her future prospects. Irrespective of the obvious reality that her shooting woes continue, I continue to have unalloyed confidence in where her game is headed.

Simply stated, I cannot recall a time when any Freshman player at UConn exhibited the court vision and floor awareness that she does. Translation: a Freshman she may be, but she’ll likely be this team’s assist leader for the season. She's the best passer that the team boasts...right now! Her defense is improving with every outing. Does she make inevitable Freshman mistakes? Duh…

Ania and Aubrey, two totally different kinds of players, will both evolve into UConn stars as they develop. Geno, in my opinion, is using them very intelligently right now, with Ania’s overall game rendering her the more sensible option as a starter, and with Aubrey’s energy off the bench providing a much-needed spark with no shortage of playing time for her. Sooner or later, as her confidence develops (and confidence is all it’s about) Ania’s shots will start falling. Look out when (not if) that happens!

Reaction Score
I agree. She made several good entry passes and is looking over the player guarding her.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Simply stated, I cannot recall a time when any Freshman player at UConn exhibited the court vision and floor awareness that she does.
I’ll say it before someone else does - “...except Diana”. :)

I’m an Ania fan. So many people get hung up on scoring that they overlook the fact that she is already a darn good basketball player, not just a scorer.The drives and dishes are fantastic and they add a dimension to the offense we haven’t seen for a while .

Reaction Score
Simply stated, I cannot recall a time when any Freshman player at UConn exhibited the court vision and floor awareness that she does. Translation: a Freshman she may be, but she’ll likely be this team’s assist leader for the season. She's the best passer that the team boasts...right now! Her defense is improving with every outing. Does she make inevitable Freshman mistakes?

Kia Nurse?

Reaction Score
Like many other fans of UConn WBB, I find seasons such as the current one, when NC contention is certainly no given, nevertheless highly entertaining. Seemingly unlike many others, I think Geno really does know what he’s doing, and that assessment does not fluctuate on a week-to-week, or game-to-game basis. His unparalleled history with the program has taught many of us to focus unwaveringly on the long view, and to know that these ”reloading” seasons can be fully appreciated on their own merit…more championships inevitably lie around the corner, so why not sit back and enjoy watching the building blocks being patiently assembled?

Last week, in an attempt to inject a note of positivity to counteract all the hand-wringing on our forum, I tried to point out some pleasing aspects of Ania’s developing game (does anyone here remember that, prior experience notwithstanding, she remains just a Freshman?) and to offer a vote of confidence in her future prospects. Irrespective of the obvious reality that her shooting woes continue, I continue to have unalloyed confidence in where her game is headed.

Simply stated, I cannot recall a time when any Freshman player at UConn exhibited the court vision and floor awareness that she does. Translation: a Freshman she may be, but she’ll likely be this team’s assist leader for the season. She's the best passer that the team boasts...right now! Her defense is improving with every outing. Does she make inevitable Freshman mistakes? Duh…

Ania and Aubrey, two totally different kinds of players, will both evolve into UConn stars as they develop. Geno, in my opinion, is using them very intelligently right now, with Ania’s overall game rendering her the more sensible option as a starter, and with Aubrey’s energy off the bench providing a much-needed spark with no shortage of playing time for her. Sooner or later, as her confidence develops (and confidence is all it’s about) Ania’s shots will start falling. Look out when (not if) that happens!
Big P. I agree with all you write above. I take a different view of Geno and most coaches for that matter.
There is a game by game evaluation of each player. He is seeing how they. play in practice with all the evaluation we've seen reported herein. He too MUST evaluate them in each game. No it is NOT a single game (unless that is a disaster for the player) that makes up his mind or that of any coach. But, one FINAL (in the eval process) will turn the tide for a player. Right now he is looking for that 5th player (with all the attributes associated with that position) He need consistency, shooting and defensive skills, and Offensive skills he can TRUST. Which one will give it? Molly, Irwin, Ania, Aubry ?? It seems to be down to 2 Ania and Aubery. I think the last game, for the moment, tipped the scales toward Aubery. ONLY GENO knows for sure.
HIGHLIGHTED AREA above---I could agree more and I do.

Reaction Score

I’m an Ania fan. So many people get hung up on scoring that they overlook the fact that she is already a darn good basketball player, not just a scorer.The drives and dishes are fantastic and they add a dimension to the offense we haven’t seen for a while .
Maya. First game of the season, first game for her college career, was fantastic and she never looked back. DT was MS UConn of that there is no doubt. But MAYA, quiet, reserved, super nice lady, was one He--of a player. Except for punching anything Orange Maya in my memory was among the top 2 in Uconn history. I am big time FAN for Ania but as of today neither she nor Aubrey are MAYA. or DT. The closest we have is CW.
In Viewing the Court DT and passing (some improbably passes) none better. Maria an unranked, under appreciated Connecticut kid wasn't shabby in that regard either.

Reaction Score

This year we have two very good "A" freshmen, Ania and Aubrey.
I am a fan for both. We will see which one is better next March.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
And Stewie. Comparing Anna to either is of the highest BY compliments. I believe there is still a present from Anna to us. I believe the shooting touch we have heard about in practice will manifest itself soon and Anna's game will take on a new, hihger performance level.

Reaction Score

100% agreement.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Maya. First game of the season, first game for her college career, was fantastic and she never looked back. DT was MS UConn of that there is no doubt. But MAYA, quiet, reserved, super nice lady, was one He--of a player. Except for punching anything Orange Maya in my memory was among the top 2 in Uconn history. I am big time FAN for Ania but as of today neither she nor Aubrey are MAYA. or DT. The closest we have is CW.
In Viewing the Court DT and passing (some improbably passes) none better. Maria an unranked, under appreciated Connecticut kid wasn't shabby in that regard either.
We were discussing court vision

Reaction Score
My favorite thing about Anna thus far is the way she will move with the ball to create a passing lane. She sees the floor exceptionally well and understands space and how the ball can pull defensive players to create space and passing lanes. A really sophisticated understanding of the game for any player, let alone a freshman.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
DOn't ignore the fact that from the opening exhibition game Geno had this freshman player (who I'm sure still did not know all the plays and options) doing the in-bounding of the ball. Just last year unknown players like Katie Lou or Napheesa had that responsibility. Why? Well she's tall with a good wingspan and she had great court vision and a very good passer. I think it says he trusts her judgment as well. All good.

Reaction Score
I have to agree that Maya has always been the consummate headsy player. So even keeled where she never late her highs or lows deviate very much. Wonderful court savvy and if her scoring had been half of what it was, she would have been amazing .... probably my favorite Huskie of all time ....

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I am sure they will speak well of one another, and also be fully complementary. :)
anna_condiments.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom