Andy Katz: Top National Champions since 2000! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andy Katz: Top National Champions since 2000!

Reaction Score
Well to be fair and complete. In 2004 UNC (who won it all in 2005) beat UConn in the regular season as did Georgia Tech who was really good that year, too. However, UConn didn't play their best game (not bad, though) and UNC played their absolute best at their home court and barely won. That was the one game UConn's poor FT shooting cost them, if they make even a few more, they win that game. And we know how GTech blew them out early and then got destroyed in the title game.

Okafor's back was a mess and Villanueva wasn't yet cleared by the NCAA when they lost to G'Tech at MSG. We played horribly, but the team was far from full strength that day. The game at UNC was I believe the first game Gordon played with a broken nose + a mask. He wasn't his usual self. I did love Okafor dominating the ever-living hell out of Sean May that day though.

Reaction Score
Okafor's back was a mess and Villanueva wasn't yet cleared by the NCAA when they lost to G'Tech at MSG. We played horribly, but the team was far from full strength that day. The game at UNC was I believe the first game Gordon played with a broken nose + a mask. He wasn't his usual self. I did love Okafor dominating the ever-living hell out of Sean May that day though.
They lost a few too many games against decent to mediocre teams throughout the season. They lost to Syracuse (a 5 seed), Providence (a 5 seed), and Notre Dame (an NIT team) in addition to the North Carolina and Georgia Tech loss.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We're the only champion from the aughts not represented lol.

00 MSU
01 Duke
02 Maryland
03 Cuse
05 UNC
07 Florida (he's not going to choose the 06 team too)
08 Kansas
09 UNC
As to 2006, Katz also knew that UConn was the best team that year, but a non-champion doesn't qualify.

This is just an Easter Sunday, post-April Fool's Day Valentine from a huge fan who's just checking to see if we're paying attention.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
the team with the most titles not represented, priceless

this is why they're the 2nd least respected profession on earth, topping only politicians

genetically incapable of an intelligent / objective thought

Reaction Score
Yep, that team messed around a little when Okafor's back was acting up and Gordon broke his face. There were also the nuisance things to deal with like Charlie V having to sit out games and Marcus Williams not playing second semester. When they were locked in it was over for everyone. Only reason Duke game was close was because Okafor sat the entire first half. That 2004 Duke team is better than most teams on this list, their starting 5 all played in the NBA.
This is a completely accurate post. You only missed the part that the final piece of the puzzle that pushed that team to another level was inserting Rashad into the starting lineup. He opened things up for Ben and Mek and it was over. I remember a lot of the pundits that year calling it the Uconn invitational.
Katz list in an absolute joke. Ill put that 04 team up against those ten teams and im confident we win at least 8 of those games. 04 once it got rolling was the best team ive seen since 90 UNLV.

Reaction Score
Andy has been hangin' out with Charles and Kenny the Jet a little too much LOL

Reaction Score
Well to be fair and complete. In 2004 UNC (who won it all in 2005) beat UConn in the regular season as did Georgia Tech who was really good that year, too. However, UConn didn't play their best game (not bad, though) and UNC played their absolute best at their home court and barely won. That was the one game UConn's poor FT shooting cost them, if they make even a few more, they win that game. And we know how GTech blew them out early and then got destroyed in the title game.

But the main difference is if UConn played UNC in the tournament in 2004, I think UConn beats them in a 10 pt win or whatever, it wouldn't be a nail biter-I wasn't worried about UNC after that regular season loss, I knew they couldn't beat UConn if UConn played their best. In fact, CBS writer Gregg Doyel, who Calhoun hated because Doyel wrote a lot of scathing articles about UConn, stated after the UNC loss, said the team that lost, UConn, is clearly the best team in the nation.
Also, UNCs 2005 team, which was a little better than their 2004 team, had a tough time against UConn's 2005 team which was significantly worse than their 2004 team (not really close TBH), in the regular season game in Hartford.

In 2003, if Syracuse played UConn in the tournament, I think UConn wins that game. That was a time UConn had their number and the 2-3 zone didn't rattle UConn like it did to out of conference opponents.
I was at the Georgia Tech loss. We were missing some guys, including the national POY.

Reaction Score
Remember that Syracuse was also the beneficiary of one of the worst seeding jobs ever in the tournament.

Texas did not win the Big 12 regular season or the Big 12 tournament, but they were given a one seed in Texas basically to sell tickets.

And then they inexplicably made Syracuse and Marquette home teams in their regionals.

Yup. I was watching them in Albany ... and neither of the B12 opponents looked like they even played a CYO zone. It was easy for Orange.

Reaction Score
I believe the 2004 team was saving their wad I wasn’t even worried about them, I said wait till tournament time.
A though just occured to me. Uconns 04 we all know was beastly and would beat most or all of those teams but i think the 06 and 09 teams are better than half the teams on that list.

Reaction Score
I believe dyson would’ve put the 2009 team over the top. that was a very good unc team tho

Reaction Score
A though just occured to me. Uconns 04 we all know was beastly and would beat most or all of those teams but i think the 06 and 09 teams are better than half the teams on that list.
If all these teams played right now 2012 wins easily

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If all these teams played right now 2012 wins easily
Well UK would have to defeat UConn. We all know they CAN'T do that in March.

We're their daddy

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I believe dyson would’ve put the 2009 team over the top. that was a very good unc team tho
With Dyson uninjured, it would have been another 1999 UConn - Duke media matchup with the two best teams.

Most would have favored UNC. Quite a number here would have disagreed. And the game would have revealed the answer. I wouldn't be surprised by either team winning.

Reaction Score
wow. 734 likes. epic. yuge. the whole world is watching... or not.
UConn 2004 was one of the most complete teams in decades.
I agree about 2004. We had 5 pros on that team.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You all do know that nearly 75% of these commentators are Cuse grads...............................

Reaction Score
It's just one big idiots opinion.
Andy has lost most of the steam on his fastball over past several years.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think the 2002 Maryland team was that good at all. Maryland needed a lot of help from the refs to beat UConn, and UConn was Caron Butler, and not much else. Johnnie Selvie was probably the second best player on the team that year. Butler was amazing, but if Maryland could barely beat that UConn team, then they weren't that good.

Reaction Score
6390298A-9660-45CD-BE3C-2343CF37D471.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom