Andy Katz interview with Coach Hurley | The Boneyard

Andy Katz interview with Coach Hurley

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I kind of get the feeling that the buzz is that UConn is a strong buy and everyone wants to get in on the ground floor. Hurley's press conference did a lot to redefine our image.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Good interview. A bit less informative re: UConn than the Rothstein one from yesterday, as they spent a good piece of time discussing his URI tenure, but still a good listen.

It's awfully telling that in both interviews he referenced the same four guys when discussing the current roster...Jalen, Alterique, Carlton, and Polley. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a lot of talk about how Polley was a gym rat during his struggles this season? If so, and assuming that has continued, I can see that making a big impact on Hurley early on, as he seems to want guys who are committed to getting in the gym.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Some highlights

Hurley says recruiting helped him elevate mid-major URI to be able to commit with the big boys. Now that he is at a high-major, the skies the limit.

He's all about relationships, tough love and team.

Liked URI and what he built there. It was "his baby." UConn one of the few places he'd leave URI for.

Calhoun watched some of Hurley's practices. Hurley walks down to office to get advice. Hasn't talked to Geno yet, but thinks it will be good to talk ball with him.

Next year -
Hard playing, committed to winning, better defense, everyone pulling together.
JA, could be drafted, AAC POY, needs to be in culture of hard work.
Carlton, and Gilbert also highlighted.

Players embracing being in a more committed culture. Culture can be fixed.

Hurley wants PC series at Mohegan Sun. Wants more series with old BE programs.​

Reaction Score
Good interview. A bit less informative re: UConn than the Rothstein one from yesterday, as they spent a good piece of time discussing his URI tenure, but still a good listen.

It's awfully telling that in both interviews he referenced the same four guys when discussing the current roster...Jalen, Alterique, Carlton, and Polley. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a lot of talk about how Polley was a gym rat during his struggles this season? If so, and assuming that has continued, I can see that making a big impact on Hurley early on, as he seems to want guys who are committed to getting in the gym.
Big jump from Polley is needed if we're going to be successful this year. With Yakwe signed and no scholarships available (for now), a lot of responsibility falls on Sid at the 3 spot. Polley showed flashes last year and I think him providing insurance for the rookie off the bench could be the key to us making a run at the NCAA Tourney.

Reaction Score
Big jump from Polley is needed if we're going to be successful this year. With Yakwe signed and no scholarships available (for now), a lot of responsibility falls on Sid at the 3 spot. Polley showed flashes last year and I think him providing insurance for the rookie off the bench could be the key to us making a run at the NCAA Tourney.
I think Polley is going to be good. he is one of the few players that improved as the season went on last year.

Reaction Score
Really solid interview. He sounds very sincere on both podcasts which is suprisingly hard to find with most high major coaches. Definitely cares about his players and programs.

Reaction Score
I think Polley is going to be good. he is one of the few players that improved as the season went on last year.

Agreed, early on I saw too much Freshman in Polley, but suddenly in the latter part of the year he wasn't at all tentative and showed that he's much more solid with the ball in his hands than Terry was, which isn't saying much I know. He just seemed like a guy who wouldn't be doing much with the dribble but went to suddenly successful with it. We can be a good team next year, not top 10 good, but finding ways to win most games good

Reaction Score
More enjoyable than Rothstein’s interview. DH sounded way more comfortable talking with Andy Katz IMO.

Reaction Score
How did coach pronounce Polley this time? With Rothstein it was Pole-ee.

Reaction Score
He mentions that there were two of his players at St. B's that he really tried to push to UConn but didn't come here.

Any ideas who?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom