And here we go.... | The Boneyard

And here we go....

Reaction Score
Each of the 90 existing Miami scholarship players will be offered a $500 a month contract (up to $6000 for a year) to endorse American Top Team through their social media accounts, personal appearances and other marketing vehicles. If all 90 players opt to accept a deal, the total American Top Team investment in year one could reach $540,000.

The deal is being administered by a new marketing company - "Bring Back The U" - which was created by South Florida businessman Dan Lambert, who founded American Top Team and is a longtime Golden Cane and member at CaneSport.com.

Lambert also hopes to recruit other businesses to offer similar NIL deals to Hurricane players this year and in the future.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Each of the 90 existing Miami scholarship players will be offered a $500 a month contract (up to $6000 for a year) to endorse American Top Team through their social media accounts, personal appearances and other marketing vehicles. If all 90 players opt to accept a deal, the total American Top Team investment in year one could reach $540,000.

The deal is being administered by a new marketing company - "Bring Back The U" - which was created by South Florida businessman Dan Lambert, who founded American Top Team and is a longtime Golden Cane and member at CaneSport.com.

Lambert also hopes to recruit other businesses to offer similar NIL deals to Hurricane players this year and in the future.
Not exactly shocking, except, perhaps, in it's transparency. Where did you get this? Do you have a link?

Reaction Score
This has the potential to turn into a total crap show soon. It won't be long before recruits will decide where to play based on how much they can get in those deals just like the pros.

Where do you draw the line on this? My only hope is CT and NY got plenty of companies willing to make deals with Uconn athletes just to keep up with the Jones.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just spoil the athletes more... On the bright side, the NFL respects UConn for not producing primadonnas. So far.

Reaction Score
Not exactly shocking, except, perhaps, in it's transparency. Where did you get this? Do you have a link?
Canesport...I'll link but it may be behind a paywall...

EDIT>>>I see it is linked already

Reaction Score
This will be transformative and I think over time this will whittle down the schools that want to be involved in this type of process. I think there will be some P5 schools in that group as well.

There will be some enormous money going to some of these kids and the schools that are best positioned to foster and enhance that will have insurmountable advantages in recruiting. Again, I believe that major college athletics is heading down the road of a relatively small number of universities whose football and MBB programs are essentially feeder programs for the NFL and NBA.

I'm not making a judgement on the fairness of this. I can see where the athletes have a legitimate argument that they deserve some of this money. On a personal level this version of college athletics holds little appeal to me. From my standpoint I might as well watch the best of the best and tune into the NFL and NBA.

What the SEC will do with this door being opened boggles the mind..........

Reaction Score
This is just like legalizing weed. It was being consumed all along, just out of the shadows now.

No, this is different. This opens up large amounts of money across the board to many more athletes. You will have 17-18 year old recruits making seven figures with professional representation. Keeping these kids away from the sharks will not be easy.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This has the potential to turn into a total crap show soon. It won't be long before recruits will decide where to play based on how much they can get in those deals just like the pros.

Where do you draw the line on this? My only hope is CT and NY got plenty of companies willing to make deals with Uconn athletes just to keep up with the Jones.
The crap show will have a slight counter balance; playing time.

Reaction Score
SEC can now perform their motto of "if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying" in the open. What could possibly go wrong? With college football already having a built-in caste system, how much worse can this get?

Reaction Score
Exactly.

It can affect basketball programs as well..

I can hear the echoes of Duke, UNC, Gonzaga, UConn, Michigan basketball boosters as they say "let's put together a sports marketing organization...look at Miami.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nike can just up the ante and offer Oregon guys $50,000 a year to endorse their products.

Adidas does not have to run in "shadow mode"...just pay the athletes

CL82

Reaction Score
It can affect basketball programs as well..

I can hear the echoes of Duke, UNC, Gonzaga, UConn, Michigan basketball boosters as they say "let's put together a sports marketing organization...look at Miami.
Oh it's coming. It was entirely foreseeable.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
If I weren't so lazy, I'd set up a service/company to handle all of these kids taxes that they now need to worry about reporting to the IRS with all of these NIL/endorsement deals. Half of the NCAA players are going to be under IRS audit in 3 years :)

Reaction Score
It really will be the end of college athletics as it has been known. I imagine in a few years there will be a few schools that effectively are little more than professional minor leagues. To me it will be interesting to see if a group of schools just say enough! I would look to Georgetown, Notre Dame and some ACC and mid tier Big teams to lead the way. ND is on record that they will never pay players for example. We will see.

CL82

Reaction Score
Well this was a court decision, not a legislative or executive one.

Season 2 No GIF by Paramount+

Reaction Score
It really will be the end of college athletics as it has been known. I imagine in a few years there will be a few schools that effectively are little more than professional minor leagues. To me it will be interesting to see if a group of schools just say enough! I would look to Georgetown, Notre Dame and some ACC and mid tier Big teams to lead the way. ND is on record that they will never pay players for example. We will see.
Recruiting will essentially turning into free agency. Schools with massive resources and huge boosters will be able to recruit based on how much potential NIL deals will look like. It looks like boosters will be involving in all recruiting in the open. Second and third tier schools in states will be left behind fast while big state U and rich private universities can get boosters to pony up. Where is this all heading towards? This new world could be more uglier than the one we have now.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
ND is on record that they will never pay players for example. We will see.

They won't need to. They have enough crazy, rich boosters to funnel the money to the players, that they'll never have to pay them themselves.

And watch as this will now be part of negotiations for contracts and deals with the schools. I a making this up....but if Notre Dame currently has an endorsement deal with Lexus for $20M, the next negotiations will include $20M deal for Notre Dame, along with an additional$5M available for 'player sponsors' that are paid directly from Lexus to the players along with free vehicles and 'travel accounts'. The school will not have to actually pay the players, they will just create dedicated revenue streams for the players that are paid by either boosters directly or the sponsors/companies themselves.

This will also remove any 'employee' liabilities that actually paying the players directly would create. Otherwise you'd be dealing with health insurance and injury/workmans comp claims from the players.

Reaction Score
They won't need to. They have enough crazy, rich boosters to funnel the money to the players, that they'll never have to pay them themselves.

And watch as this will now be part of negotiations for contracts and deals with the schools. I a making this up....but if Notre Dame currently has an endorsement deal with Lexus for $20M, the next negotiations will include $20M deal for Notre Dame, along with an additional$5M available for 'player sponsors' that are paid directly from Lexus to the players along with free vehicles and 'travel accounts'. The school will not have to actually pay the players, they will just create dedicated revenue streams for the players that are paid by either boosters directly or the sponsors/companies themselves.

This will also remove any 'employee' liabilities that actually paying the players directly would create. Otherwise you'd be dealing with health insurance and injury/workmans comp claims from the players.
Yep. Schools won't have to pay players directly since businesses that sponsor them will do it for them. Schools with huge brands like ND will benefit more in recruiting because their "sponsors" can essentially offer better NIL deals than schools like UMASS. The inequality will get much worse since NIL deals will be part of all recruiting.

Reaction Score
Not to be completely a sexist pig....but maybe good looking female athletes will have an advantage...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom