Analysis: Emotional pull of Big East vs. revenue boost of Big 12. Why UConn may be lured by Power 5 invite (Mike Anthony) | The Boneyard

Analysis: Emotional pull of Big East vs. revenue boost of Big 12. Why UConn may be lured by Power 5 invite (Mike Anthony)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Meh. The logic of leaving for the Big 12, that college athletics will consolidate power, is also an argument against going to the Big 12. If the same people that have been wrong for the last decade are suddenly right, and it becomes P5 or best, it will be P2 or bust soon enough. The Big 12 WILL LOSE over the next 10 years if college athletics continues to consolidate. And then UConn will be stuck in a far flung conference that will have lost its best programs.

Anthony ignores the fact that we are now in an NIL era where schools from urban areas and wealthy states would seem to have a huge advantage, and in a Transfer Portal era where top teams can no longer hoard talent. 3 non-P5 schools in the Final Four may not be that unusual going forward, and some version of that may be coming to football soon too. TV money and the ability to raise NIL are two very different things.

Finally, no one has any idea how streaming will effect college athletics. Right now the Big 12, which looks like an island of misfit toys of a league, has a nice contract. We are in the early days of streaming and that will change over time.

Just like cable busted the control of the NCAA over college football and basketball broadcasting, streaming, with all of its outlets, WILL break the stranglehold of ESPN over college sports broadcasting. NO ONE knows what will come next, and Anthony doesn't even try to predict it. Yet without a position on that, how can UConn make a long-term, bet-the-university, decision like joining the Big 12?

Reaction Score
Meh. The logic of leaving for the Big 12, that college athletics will consolidate power, is also an argument against going to the Big 12. If the same people that have been wrong for the last decade are suddenly right, and it becomes P5 or best, it will be P2 or bust soon enough. The Big 12 WILL LOSE over the next 10 years if college athletics continues to consolidate. And then UConn will be stuck in a far flung conference that will have lost its best programs.

Anthony ignores the fact that we are now in an NIL era where schools from urban areas and wealthy states would seem to have a huge advantage, and in a Transfer Portal era where top teams can no longer hoard talent. 3 non-P5 schools in the Final Four may not be that unusual going forward, and some version of that may be coming to football soon too. TV money and the ability to raise NIL are two very different things.

Finally, no one has any idea how streaming will effect college athletics. Right now the Big 12, which looks like an island of misfit toys of a league, has a nice contract. We are in the early days of streaming and that will change over time.

Just like cable busted the control of the NCAA over college football and basketball broadcasting, streaming, with all of its outlets, WILL break the stranglehold of ESPN over college sports broadcasting. NO ONE knows what will come next, and Anthony doesn't even try to predict it. Yet without a position on that, how can UConn make a long-term, bet-the-university, decision like joining the Big 12?
So let’s continue to lose 40 mil a year because nobody knows the future?

Reaction Score

All salient points. The irony though is your post seems to be anti Big 12 but if you actually think it all through, it screams for UConn to run to the Big 12. So I am confused. Are you suggesting UConn should wait 10 years in the Big East until the P2 forms? At that point, the Big East and its members may be obsolete. The Big 12 offers a lifeline. It buys time. It allows UConn to grow. And in 10 years, who knows. Maybe the outcome will be same. But for UConn to even be considered then, it has to go now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
All salient points. The irony though is your post seems to be anti Big 12 but if you actually think it all through, it screams for UConn to run to the Big 12. So I am confused. Are you suggesting UConn should wait 10 years in the Big East until the P2 forms? At that point, the Big East and its members may be obsolete. The Big 12 offers a lifeline. It buys time. It allows UConn to grow. And in 10 years, who knows. Maybe the outcome will be same. But for UConn to even be considered then, it has to go now.

The Big 12 may not be a lifeline, it may be an anchor.

I suspect everyone is going to want to see the Pac 12 TV contract before anything happens. Even if the money is less, if Apple signs the Pac 12, it is a gamechanger for college sports.

Reaction Score
Gosh darn it, I'm so conflicted and @nelsonmuntz didn't help

I guess the best thing about this whole process, It's not my decision

I'll just buy tickets and hope for the best

Whatever Hurley wants, I want
I wouldn't be surprised if Hurley wants to stay but it's obviously not his decision

Reaction Score

I suspect everyone is going to want to see the Pac 12 TV contract before anything happens. Even if the money is less, if Apple signs the Pac 12, it is a gamechanger for college sports.
If the big 12 becomes an anchor, the big East is already at the bottom of the ocean. UConn may drown either way, but the big 12 allows it to possibly swim to shore. I am not sure if Apple becomes a game changer or not. Obviously, streaming is the future but depending on what Apple pays, it can be a needle that pops the media rights bubble. The pac 12 is desperate.

The recipe is simple. Join Big 12 and do everything they can to gain aau status. If they are able to achieve that before music stops, they have a legit chance. If not, then it was all a waste. At this point, too much has been invested to give up trying.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just as UConn has continued to monitor the conference alignment over the last few years to make the move that was in the school's best interest (leave AAC); it needs to make the move in their best interest at the time. In this scenario it's the Big XII (if offered). You can't forgo the extra $30M annually just in case things go bad for that league in 7 years. You use the best information you have at the time of the decision and there isn't enough there to say definitively the Big XII (which has deals with both major collegiate sports right-holders). If the circumstances change in 7 years, then UConn will have another decision to make, but for now, there really is only one decision that could be made, if an all-sports invite comes from the Big XII (or even the seemingly dead-men walking that are the ACC) they have to make the move.

Reaction Score
Gosh darn it, I'm so conflicted and @nelsonmuntz didn't help

I guess the best thing about this whole process, It's not my decision

I'll just buy tickets and hope for the best

Whatever Hurley wants, I want
he's a great basketball coach, but let's leave the strategic business decisions to the professionals.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if Hurley wants to stay but it's obviously not his decision
He probably does. But I don't think he views the B12 as being a step down in competition or a situation that harms his recruiting.

I get people who are nostalgic for the Big East and familiar names (I'm not because it's too different now). I don't get people who are irrational about the actual quality of play in the B12. Dan is a NJ guy, but so was Bobby, who played ball in NC and now coaches in AZ. We are a national program, not limited to recruiting the northeast. A whole lot of talent from this region goes to schools not in the Big East. It's not a problem.

Reaction Score

You keep hammering this point in every thread, and I'm struggling to see how Apple would be a game changer. Apple already has MLS, and it wasn't a game changer for MLS. I saw an article the other day that said they've met 40% of their initial subscriber projection for MLS. A streaming service like Amazon may be a game changer because everyone already has Amazon. But no one outside of hard core PAC 12 fans would sign up for Apple's streaming service just to watch their games.

If anything, Apple's experience with MLS will probably give them pause when evaluating further sports league contracts. Because adding the PAC 12 definitely wouldn't move the needle for them (especially with USC and UCLA gone). Not to mention, Apple's MLS subscription is separate from their general streaming subscription. I have Apple TV, but don't have access to their MLS subscription. Would they do the same for the PAC? That's such a low benefit to pay for as a subscriber.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The PAC is invisible to the rest of the country as it is.

Then they are going to go to Apple Lol

By the time an agreement with Apple ends, that conference would be so unnoticible their next agreement would probably be cut in half

Let's do more stuff on cable!!!!!

Reaction Score

There's this thing called network tv that actually works in a variety of ways along with cable.

And get this, people actually watch the networks!

Reaction Score
You aren’t wrong. But it’s crazy to assume that streaming may be a net benefit to schools and leagues. It probably means less money not more. (For 90% of schools)

Reaction Score
He probably does. But I don't think he views the B12 as being a step down in competition or a situation that harms his recruiting.

I get people who are nostalgic for the Big East and familiar names (I'm not because it's too different now). I don't get people who are irrational about the actual quality of play in the B12. Dan is a NJ guy, but so was Bobby, who played ball in NC and now coaches in AZ. We are a national program, not limited to recruiting the northeast. A whole lot of talent from this region goes to schools not in the Big East. It's not a problem.
I don't get why so many people here say the Big East is too different from what it was and people are holding onto nostalgia. All the Big East lost are Syracuse, Pitt, and BC. BC pretty much always sucked outside of a few years. The Big 12 hardly looks anything like what it was. Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Missouri, and Colorado are all gone.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Emotion should play zero role in evaluating this situation.
Exactly. It’s not about the emotional pull of the Big East. It’s about what it does for the long term success of our men’s basketball program. There really is no other reason to stay in the Big East other than the potential upside it has for our men’s basketball program.

Does the potential drop in local recruiting for men’s basketball, not playing in MSG for the BET, and not being able to drive a bus to half your away games in-conference outweigh the lift in all other sports AND the long-term extra money that can be used to improve coach salaries and upgrade facilities? Do increased travel costs just mitigate all of that though?

The Big 12 is also, by most metrics, the best men’s basketball conference. It’s not like we’d be ditching the men’s basketball program. It would just be an adjustment. Freaking UCLA, the winningest men’s basketball program ever has one conference mate west of Nebraska now. I think we can handle traveling to Kansas. We already do, basically.

It’s such a complicated issue, I lean towards having to take the invite if it’s offered. But I don’t love it, especially if there’s something coming down the pipe with the ACC/Big East merging, or something. Whatever AD Dave thinks is best, I’m on board with.

Reaction Score
Biggest concern from the article was how he mentioned coaches and players hate travel…..our whole season would be one long flight after another…I don’t think the school will look at it as a reason not to go, but it can clearly be an impediment to success.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Biggest concern from the article was how he mentioned coaches and players hate travel…..our whole season would be one long flight after another…I don’t think the school will look at it as a reason not to go, but it can clearly be an impediment to success.
If it was that big of a concern, I don’t think UCLA and USC would’ve agreed to join a conference where their second nearest conference mate is in eastern Nebraska.

It’s just the way of the world now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if Hurley is all for it. He didn't rebuild this program and win a title by living in the past.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
I think it's a good move potentially, but if we get passed up again and you have to imagine we will (it's our thing), let's just keep on winning (also our thing).

We are in a much better spot in the BE than we were a few years back and not as desperate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom