An assessment of All-Americans vs. HoopGurlz ranking since 2013 | The Boneyard

An assessment of All-Americans vs. HoopGurlz ranking since 2013

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I looked at the last 8 (2016-2023) years of All-Americans for the AP (1st, 2nd, 3rd, Honorable Mention) and the 10 Member Team for the WBCA. The list has 330 Slots listed- 80 WBCA and 250 AP slots. I did the analysis against the HoopGurlz Top 100 from 2013-2022.

The AP teams ranged from 31 players in 2017 to 41 players listed in 2022. 15 being the top 3 teams and the rest being Honorable Mention.

My initial premise was to see how correlated this is to the HG Top 5 list each year. Does a top 5 rank eventually qualify for an AA team? So far, 26 players who were ranked 1 to 5 by HoopGurlz in their class rankings from 2013-2022 earned All-American Status. Last year, 1 player from the 2022 class earned it but she was not Top 5 ranksed-Ta’Niya Latson from FSU (ranked #14).

So in 9 years (2013-2021) of top 5 ranking-45 players, as stated above 26 players have earned AA status. From a top ranked perspective, 2 players have not earned AA status-Azzi Fudd (injuries) and Mercedes Russell (#1 in 2013). There were 4 #2 ranked players who have not earned AA statues: Raven Johnson ’21, Evina Westbrook ’17, Joyner Holmes ’16 and Kaela Davis ’13.

For the UConn fans, Crystal Dangerfield, Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa all earned 2 different years of AP Honorable Mention. While not ranked players Nika and Lou also earned Honorable Mention last year.

In the 8 years, there have been 4 players who were NOT ranked by HoopGurlz who earned team AA status:
  • Aneesah Morrow in 2022 (2nd team) and 2023 (3rd team)
  • Maddy Siegrist with 3rd team in 2022 and 1st team in 2023 and WBCA in 2023
  • Ayoka Lee from Kansas State earned 2nd team in 2022
  • Veronica Burton from Northwestern earned 3rd team in 2022
There were 11 other non-ranked players who earned Honorable Mention (Benzan, Czinano, Leger-Walker, Muhl, Amoore, Truong, Leigha Brown, Hofchild, Lopez-Senechal, Taylor Robertson and Natalie Butler).

The other curious item I looked at was how many players transferred from one school to attain AA status at another. There have been 25 in total with 6 players who earned 1st to 3rd or WBCA status.

The 6 who transferred and have earned AP 1/2/3 team or WBCA team are:
  • Aarion McDonald from Washington to Arizona
  • Angel Reese from Maryland to LSU (she earned 3rd team at Maryland as well)
  • Alissa Pili from USC to Utah
  • Chelsea Dungee from Oklahoma to Arkansas
  • Jessica Shepard from Nebraska to Notre Dame
  • Natasha Mack from Houston to Oklahoma State

Maryland has had the most transfer out who achieved AA status with 6 players who left and later made 8 AA teams (Reese-2, Lexie Brown-2, Shakira Austin-1, Destiny Slocum-1, Kiah Gillespie-1, Kiara Leslie-1).

The most decorated All-American is Aliyah Boston with 7 awards (3 WBCA and 4 AP 1st or 2nd team) accolades). Katie Lou Samuelson is 2nd with 6 awards (3 WBCA, 3 AP 1st or 3rd team).

• Overall, Connecticut leads the way with 12 players who earned AA status across 31 different teams.
  • South Carolina and Baylor tied for second with 6 players earning 19 slots on teams (yes, a tie with both players and slots!).
  • Stanford is 4th with 7 players earning 16 slots on teams.
Overall, a pretty interesting set of data that can be diced many ways.

One last comment, YES, I know that UConn only uses AP 1st team or WBCA 10-member team to qualify for their ring of honor but getting an Honorable Mention is still an achievement not many can earn.

There have been an average of 355 teams since 2016 and 12 players per team for 8 years, that is 34,000+ player years and only 330 AA slots listed. That is less than 1 percent so to me, that is highly impressive.

As usual, let me know your thoughts, which I know you will- ;).

Reaction Score
How about Rhyne Howard from UK...she was ranked #32 in gurlz hoops. She should've been top 5. She was the top freshman that year and if I'm not mistaken an All American her freshman season.

Having Aaliyah Boston ranked #3 was a booboo too. She was clearly the best player in her class.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak
Top Bottom