Amari in Transfer Portal | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Amari in Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCD

Reaction Score
It looks like it was taken in perfect context. It is literally what he said. He didn't say he had great relationships with "all" his players. Some people on here can't look at anything UConn without bias and when it comes to Geno that is particularly true. He is a great coach no doubt but that doesn't mean he relates well to all types of players. And I don't mean that as a knock on Geno's character, it is common in all leaders.
Rowdy, I think that you missed the point that Puppy Love was making. Geno was specifically asked about his high level players and so he focused his response on them (and not on the entire team). So by using his quote to talk about mid or lower level players his quote is being taken out of context.

Reaction Score
Regarding Geno's quote. Because one thing is true doesn't mean two things aren't true. Because he says that the team has great relationships with the best players does not mean they don't have great relationships with all the players. What it means is the best players stay because of those relationships. What was unsaid wasnt how well they get along with the players at the end of the bench, what was unsaid it that the players at the end of the bench leaving really isnt as much of a concern to the program.
I don't really understand why we are talking so much about these words. I supervise a lot of people and the reality is that my relationship with the best performing employees is different than my relationship with struggling or under performing employees. It's as simple as that.

I am positive that the coaching staff experiences the same thing with players.

Reaction Score
Amari is an intelligent young lady who was a popular teammate and whose wit always could be counted on to liven things off the court. Her on the court experience didn't work out as expected here but Amari has good basketball skills and IQ and will do just fine. It is hoped that she will come back to visit in Gampel because she will always be a Husky no matter what path she decides to take in the next chapter in her life.

Reaction Score
The quote is taken out of context. The full quote is below. Auriemma was asked about high level players leaving and the reply was focused on those players. It was not in reference to the entire team.

“There aren’t a whole lot of high-level players coming to play at Connecticut leaving for a better opportunity, so I’m kind of fortunate in that regard,” Auriemma said. “We have pretty strong relationships with our best players. They didn’t come here for all the money. They didn’t come here for all the other stuff.”
In context, just not on for me.

This is college, not pros. These are kids, on full scholarship, sure, but straight out of high school on arrival, still in their teens. They arrive off unmitigated success in their lives, full of hopes and dreams, the intensity of which we forget as we age, but is indescribable in the moment. College basically sets in motion, the course (for the most part) for the rest of one's life.

Seems, at least in the women's game, comitted freshmen arriving on campus are thinking only of the next FOUR years. Transferring is not fun, it is at least an expectation, if not a dream broken, let alone severed friendships. It has to leave a mark, regardless of where they ultimately land. Can't imagine kids arrive at UConn thinking, "Well I'll give it a whirl, but if it doesn't work out I'll just transfer. All good."

Coach has unlimited runway to say whatever he wants, given his almost inconceivable record of success. But those quotes smack more of "Don't blame me if kids fail," than is appropriate.

Reaction Score
I would just say that Chen would be good insurance for one year while we wait for Kelis. I wouldn't say she is needed since a healthy KK is what's needed. However, with all the injuries, I'm a proponent for a full 15 member roster to ensure we have enough bodies. I'm just saying that the last couple years should show that we need more insurance than we've had in the past.
That is a tricky issue. It is hard to argue with you, but it is also hard to think of a roster where people like Shade, Caroline , Aubrey or Cheli are all sitting on the bench wondering if they will ever play. With DeBerry and Ines gone from the team, we already have nothing but superstars and potential superstars on the team. Injuries can obviate the problem of "overabundance," but who wants to live with
that ( as have for the past three years )?

Adding two more players via the portal is exciting, in a way, but the challenge for the
coaches ( with the 13 players we are likely to have in uniform), is already huge. It fits the category of, " that's the kind of problem every coach wants to have." I suppose it is. But it will take some exceptional creativity to give maximum court time to the right players, in the right combinations, to win a championship.

At the moment, I think the following; Paige is a sure thing starter; Aubrey is a sure thing player off the bench to "rattle things up" , and ( I think) Sarah will force her way into the line-up pretty early on.

The rest is up to Geno. Actually, it all is. It should be lots of fun for the fans.

Reaction Score
Geno does too. He’s saying the ones that leave aren’t really key players. And with maybe 1 exception, that’s been true.
And the one exception was for an exceptional reason. You are referring , I assume, to Donna Della Donne.

Reaction Score
I also agree that AMARI was probably ahead of the curve on getting all her curriculum credits completed!
Best wishes to Amari.
Hope she gets that degree on the way out the door and becomes a grad transfer.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
And the one exception was for an exceptional reason. You are referring , I assume, to Donna Elena Della Donne.
There, I fixed it for you.

Good luck Amari in the next chapter of your life. I know that every time I hear your name, I smile for the joy you shared with your team mates and the NIL tv commercial you had.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Couple more thoughts. Does Amari have 2 more years? I ask because I think she may have trouble having the portal work for her and 1 versus 2 makes a difference. Then I had this thought today. If Amari goes to another program and has success, how am I going to think about that?

sun

Reaction Score
I hope that Amari transfers to a major program & is blessed with a huge NIL payday & finally gets the experience that she needs to succeed as an international pro in the future.
She's a good shot blocker & showed that she could be an asset like during the UCLA game.
I hope she can make a big splash somewhere & a earn ton of NIL money because it would make her & her fans extremely happy to see her finally enjoy a much brighter day.
Go girl & get it!
Wishing her all the best opportunities that life can provide!

Reaction Score
Couple more thoughts. Does Amari have 2 more years? I ask because I think she may have trouble having the portal work for her and 1 versus 2 makes a difference. Then I had this thought today. If Amari goes to another program and has success, how am I going to think about that?
She will be a senior so she has 1 year of eligibility left

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
My thinking: Natalie Butler at George Mason.
Nothing but wonderful thoughts because she (they?) tried her best at both schools. :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My thinking: Natalie Butler at George Mason.
Nothing but wonderful thoughts because she (they?) tried her best at both schools. :)
Oh I'd be happy for Amari. But I'd be puzzled at why it didn't come out at UConn and did it suggest there was something missing in player developement, which sounds preposterous. Leaving me thinking "how am I going to think about that?" Sometimes I have too much time on my hands.

Reaction Score
It looks like it was taken in perfect context. It is literally what he said. He didn't say he had great relationships with "all" his players. Some people on here can't look at anything UConn without bias and when it comes to Geno that is particularly true. He is a great coach no doubt but that doesn't mean he relates well to all types of players. And I don't mean that as a knock on Geno's character, it is common in all leaders.
Please.... " context" means (to my understanding) outside the obvious.... the context beyond the immediate
impression. Another way of understanding this (again to my way of thinking) is = Context is what needs to
be considered (beyond the immediate experience) of a larger frame of reference. In mis-communications it may
be explained: "WHAT YOU HEARD IS NOT WHAT I MEAN, I'M SORRY" . This happens all the time in my happy
marriage!!!

Reaction Score

No. Amari has 1. She is a junior

Reaction Score
We'll miss you, Amari! We hope that you have a great time with whatever team you choose next!

Reaction Score
I can see Amari playing for a really good D3 team like NYU. NYU won the D3 tournament, their academics are world class, and Amari will have an immediate impact on that team. In addition, she'll be in her home state on NY and will definitely get good NIL deals.

Reaction Score
Thought this deserved it's own thread.

I wonder if she would consider Gaulledet Univ.? Her major is in sign language, and I know of hearing people who have attended that university ( designed for the hearing impaired) to elevate their signing skills ( plenty of job opportunities of high quality). She would elevate their women's BB program about 100%/
Obviously the best thing for her. I'm sure there are plenty of D1 programs who would love to have her. As a matter of fact, I'm surprised she didn't go last year.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm sad it didn't work out at UConn. I wish her the best in her next chapter. BTW, is Colgate Division I?

Reaction Score
I'm sad it didn't work out at UConn. I wish her the best in her next chapter. BTW, is Colgate Division I?
Colgate is Division ONE. THE COLGATE WOMEN are in the Patriot League... with a great
female coach. Come to the Chenango Valley, to Hamilton N.Y. Best Wishes to Amari.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom