Amari in Transfer Portal | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Amari in Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Courant article announcing DeBerry's transfer quoted Geno as follows: “There aren’t a whole lot of high-level players coming to play at Connecticut leaving for a better opportunity, so I’m kind of fortunate in that regard,” Auriemma said earlier this season. “We have pretty strong relationships with our best players." The former statement you probably can't argue with but the latter, that he/the coaches have strong relationships with their best players would make me pause if I were considering UConn. I was nowhere near the caliber of the players who go to UConn but I'd want my coaches to have strong relationships with all of the players on the team, not just the best. That statement makes it sound like a strictly transactional relationship.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why do you think we need an "experienced" PG when we have KK, a player who started over 30 games and showed she is the real deal? Not to mention, we still have PB. Your comment, while perhaps innocent, was disingenuous to KK considering she was thrown into the fire but did not burn. KK had arguably a better freshman year than Crystal and Moriah. We are fine at PG for the next 3 years!
U r correct!!

Reaction Score
I’ve always been impressed with DeBerry as a high quality person who has much more than basketball going on for her. I’m sure she will make the best out of wherever she goes.

This brings up an interesting dilemma if I am not mistaken. Did we not have a couple other offers besides Strong to HS students? Meanwhile, there are a couple of portal candidates that might fit (Chen?). With fourteen already on the roster do you go HS or portal for the last available one?

In general I favor developing multiyear HS overall, but using the portal for particular one time needs. In particular for this squad I would not go after a portal guard with Bueckers, Fudd, Shade, Arnold and Ziebell already on the roster.
Plus Caroline D

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The Courant article announcing DeBerry's transfer quoted Geno as follows: “There aren’t a whole lot of high-level players coming to play at Connecticut leaving for a better opportunity, so I’m kind of fortunate in that regard,” Auriemma said earlier this season. “We have pretty strong relationships with our best players." The former statement you probably can't argue with but the latter, that he/the coaches have strong relationships with their best players would make me pause if I were considering UConn. I was nowhere near the caliber of the players who go to UConn but I'd want my coaches to have strong relationships with all of the players on the team, not just the best. That statement makes it sound like a strictly transactional relationship.
The reference is back to the first statement - they generally have good relations with all their players, but only the 'best players' at Uconn might transfer to another team with NC aspirations, most of the players that have transferred did so to lower tier teams and only a few of those did so because of dissatisfaction with the coaches and program.

Reaction Score
I would just say that Chen would be good insurance for one year while we wait for Kelis. I wouldn't say she is needed since a healthy KK is what's needed. However, with all the injuries, I'm a proponent for a full 15 member roster to ensure we have enough bodies. I'm just saying that the last couple years should show that we need more insurance than we've had in the past.
Don’t know about Chen - but Kelis is a beast.

Reaction Score
Very interesting. I’d not seen this. I’m guessing CD has qualitative relationships across the roster. One reason why UNC is my men’s program goes back to the Smith era - and how he coached not only the roster, but everyone involved down to the water boy. Literally. And that’s why he commanded respect from Jordan et al ~ every one understood that he was there for them.

Reaction Score
Very interesting. I’d not seen this. I’m guessing CD has qualitative relationships across the roster. One reason why UNC is my men’s program goes back to the Smith era - and how he coached not only the roster, but everyone involved down to the water boy. Literally. And that’s why he commanded respect from Jordan et al ~ every one understood that he was there for them.
Geno does too. He’s saying the ones that leave aren’t really key players. And with maybe 1 exception, that’s been true.

Reaction Score
Geno does too. He’s saying the ones that leave aren’t really key players. And with maybe 1 exception, that’s been true.the
The attributed quote was “we have pretty strong relationships with our best players” -

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Geno does too. He’s saying the ones that leave aren’t really key players. And with maybe 1 exception, that’s been true.
I'm thinking Samari Walker at Kentucky and Sadie Edwards at USC who had decent college careers, but were not stars. I don't count Andrea Espinoza-Hunter (sp?). Who do you have in mind?

Reaction Score
@dtbtbtb meant no offense to KK. In a previous thread, there was discussion that next year’s team will be very young so bringing in a grad student that’s “been there“ can help keep the team settled down in tight situations, the way Dorka and Lou brought calm demeanors with them.
I get it now, but I think starting 30 games and playing in a FF qualifies as "experience"...besides, how many players in the portal will have FF experience that KK already has, let alone as a starter in the FF!

Reaction Score
I don't understand how anyone can say -or even imply- she wasn't given ample opportunity. She appears to be a wonderful teammate off the court; but, on the court, when the team desperately needed her, she didn't deliver.
Obviously, I have no idea why her potential never showed itself. Perhaps, in a new setting -for whatever reason- that'll change; but, let's not blame coaching.
She appears to be well-liked, a terrific and talented young lady. I too wish her the best ... as long as it's not with SC, LSU, Duke, or ND :)

Reaction Score
The attributed quote was “we have pretty strong relationships with our best players” -
The quote is taken out of context. The full quote is below. Auriemma was asked about high level players leaving and the reply was focused on those players. It was not in reference to the entire team.

“There aren’t a whole lot of high-level players coming to play at Connecticut leaving for a better opportunity, so I’m kind of fortunate in that regard,” Auriemma said. “We have pretty strong relationships with our best players. They didn’t come here for all the money. They didn’t come here for all the other stuff.”

Reaction Score
Amari seems like a lovely young lady. I wish her luck wherever she goes. (Syracuse). Just wanted put that out there. Near home, and a great coach who is well liked by Geno.

Reaction Score
You Can Good Luck GIF by CSDRMS
Well, that was an unexpected pleasure!! MANY THANKS.... There is a "BIG" Boneyard family.... MUCHO TALENT! z

Reaction Score
Many comments can have many interpretations...... There are small contexts to consider and
BIGGER contexts..... GENO is "BIGGER".... IMHO

Reaction Score
I’ve always been impressed with DeBerry as a high quality person who has much more than basketball going on for her. I’m sure she will make the best out of wherever she goes.

This brings up an interesting dilemma if I am not mistaken. Did we not have a couple other offers besides Strong to HS students? Meanwhile, there are a couple of portal candidates that might fit (Chen?). With fourteen already on the roster do you go HS or portal for the last available one?

In general I favor developing multiyear HS overall, but using the portal for particular one time needs. In particular for this squad I would not go after a portal guard with Bueckers, Fudd, Shade, Arnold and Ziebell already on the roster.
And Chelli.

Reaction Score
Thought this deserved it's own thread.

I really wish her well. I was kinda surprised she didn't do this last year. Absolutely the best of luck to her, and I hope she can reach her potential wherever she lands!!!

Reaction Score
I'm thinking Samari Walker at Kentucky and Sadie Edwards at USC who had decent college careers, but were not stars. I don't count Andrea Espinoza-Hunter (sp?). Who do you have in mind?
Walker was the only one that came to mind. I think she actually started for us.

Reaction Score
Regarding Geno's quote. Because one thing is true doesn't mean two things aren't true. Because he says that the team has great relationships with the best players does not mean they don't have great relationships with all the players. What it means is the best players stay because of those relationships. What was unsaid wasnt how well they get along with the players at the end of the bench, what was unsaid it that the players at the end of the bench leaving really isnt as much of a concern to the program.

Reaction Score
Although she never played in a UConn uniform, technically Delle Donne was a UConn transfer. Mir McClean was having a
very good season at Virginia when she injured her knee. The jury is out on Poffenbarger. Courtney Ekmark had a couple of good seasons at Arizona State as did Marci Glenney at Clemson.

Reaction Score
The quote is taken out of context. The full quote is below. Auriemma was asked about high level players leaving and the reply was focused on those players. It was not in reference to the entire team.

“There aren’t a whole lot of high-level players coming to play at Connecticut leaving for a better opportunity, so I’m kind of fortunate in that regard,” Auriemma said. “We have pretty strong relationships with our best players. They didn’t come here for all the money. They didn’t come here for all the other stuff.”
It looks like it was taken in perfect context. It is literally what he said. He didn't say he had great relationships with "all" his players. Some people on here can't look at anything UConn without bias and when it comes to Geno that is particularly true. He is a great coach no doubt but that doesn't mean he relates well to all types of players. And I don't mean that as a knock on Geno's character, it is common in all leaders.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Although she never played in a UConn uniform, technically Delle Donne was a UConn transfer. Mir McClean was having a
very good season at Virginia when she injured her knee. The jury is out on Poffenbarger. Courtney Ekmark had a couple of good seasons at Arizona State as did Marci Glenney at Clemson.
Saylor had a terrific first year for the Razorbacks and was 10 points 11 rebounds in her second year, but she's back in the portal.

Reaction Score
It looks like it was taken in perfect context. It is literally what he said. He didn't say he had great relationships with "all" his players. Some people on here can't look at anything UConn without bias and when it comes to Geno that is particularly true. He is a great coach no doubt but that doesn't mean he relates well to all types of players. And I don't mean that as a knock on Geno's character, it is common in all leaders.
The context is the question was specifically about how he retains his best players. Answering about those players specifically isn’t commentary on relationship with players who aren’t as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom