Am I Wrong To Feel Optimistic Right Now? | The Boneyard

Am I Wrong To Feel Optimistic Right Now?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's one day and a few hours until kickoff.

Team had its best season in years last season, finished the regular season strong, retained the critical coaches on the staff, kept most of the top performers, seemingly backfilled the biggest "losses" with comparable talent, and made it through camp relatively healthy. Plenty of depth and experience on both lines. An actual QB competition between D1 QB's. What fan base wouldn't be excited knowing all that?

When was the last season you felt this good about UConn's potential? I'm not sure, but I know I feel more excited about being a UConn football fan now than any time in recent memory.

Reaction Score
In Mora we trust.

I was going to add that the Iowa players are taking the points hard, but I thought that might be inappropriate.............oh wait.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It's one day and a few hours until kickoff.

Team had its best season in years last season, finished the regular season strong, retained the critical coaches on the staff, kept most of the top performers, seemingly backfilled the biggest "losses" with comparable talent, and made it through camp relatively healthy. Plenty of depth and experience on both lines. An actual QB competition between D1 QB's. What fan base wouldn't be excited knowing all that?

When was the last season you felt this good about UConn's potential? I'm not sure, but I know I feel more excited about being a UConn football fan now than any time in recent memory.
I agree. Especially about the quarterback situation. It feels like they have two solid qb options plus a developing ZT.

Reaction Score
I am really optimistic. All things you can analyze should support that optimism. That said my pessimistic side is looming and i am always worried. The difference this time is we have a much better foundation (coaching) than maybe we ever had.

So I am all in. I think we have a better than punchers chance to win. And a win would create sick momentum for the team and the fanbase.

Reaction Score
If you don't feel optimistic before the opener, you will rarely feel optimistic. And we are still feeding off the positivity of another basketball natty.

That said, objectively speaking there is a lot more to be optimistic abut in 2023. The football program is in the hands of competent people. There is experience and depth at almost every position. We're coming off a bowl season. Those are real things.

Reaction Score
Based on the tickets sold/distributed, we have already won the first test of the season. Clearly there remains a demand for FBS football in this market, and UConn is the only game in town, so the decision makers will now understand that it's a worthwhile investment.

Reaction Score
Based on the tickets sold/distributed, we have already won the first test of the season. Clearly there remains a demand for FBS football in this market, and UConn is the only game in town, so the decision makers will now understand that it's a worthwhile investment.
If we actually have 30,000 or close to it in the stands then we need to give the people something to come back for. My biggest fear is that the hype isn't real and we come back to reality

Reaction Score
If we actually have 30,000 or close to it in the stands then we need to give the people something to come back for. My biggest fear is that the hype isn't real and we come back to reality
Yeah that’s my worry too. If we get blown out in our home opener - how does that impact the rest of the year? My guess would be significantly. I don’t think it’ll happen because as my username stqtes - Mora is the GOAT - but NC State is a tough team. Hope that home field advantage sticks with us from last year.

Reaction Score
We HAVE to be better. It would defy logic if we are not. We didn't lose a bunch to graduation/transfer. All returnees should be a year more mature both mentally and physically. The new people supplanting returnees should, by definition, be upgrades. Most of the coaches have returned and presumably they have grown in their abilities as well.

The wild card is that I do not know how good NC State will be.

Reaction Score
I feel good about tomorrow and we will compete. But if we get blown out, people need to realize this is arguably are second toughest opponent all year. Don't let one game dictate whether you should support a team that can win 7-8 games this year, even if we are outmanned tomorrow. Hopefully we don't have to deal with that.

Reaction Score

Others receiving votes: 1 vote for NC State

I see preseason rankings around 46th

I will be attending the first home opener in a long time. I am very positive about this year.

However the group I am going with who follow from a distance have no hope and are casual out the door by halftime fans especially a Thursday night. I hope they are proved wrong!

Reaction Score
I feel great about this season... but cautiously optimistic about tomorrow night... NC State is no slouch, whatsoever... If we show what/who we were in the 2nd half of last season, it's gonna be a fun night... IMO, it depends on how our D plays at the end of the day....And, on paper, our D really looks like it can do some things... no disrespect to our O whatsoever btw...

Exciting times are back on the gridiron in Storrs, CT folks....

Reaction Score

Others receiving votes: 1 vote for NC State

I see preseason rankings around 46th

I will be attending the first home opener in a long time. I am very positive about this year.

However the group I am going with who follow from a distance have no hope and are casual out the door by halftime fans especially a Thursday night. I hope they are proved wrong!
How we perform mid 3rd quarter to early 4th quarter will determine if fans stick around...

Reaction Score
We HAVE to be better. It would defy logic if we are not. We didn't lose a bunch to graduation/transfer. All returnees should be a year more mature both mentally and physically. The new people supplanting returnees should, by definition, be upgrades. Most of the coaches have returned and presumably they have grown in their abilities as well.

The wild card is that I do not know how good NC State will be.
Yeah I think the thing is our performance will certainly be better but will it translate to wins? Gotta be making bowl games every year at minimum. 5-1 home record was excellent but Duke and NC State are tough. JMU and Tenn are almost guaranteed losses - we really need to put the non P5 schools (and BCU) in their place now.

Reaction Score
I feel great about this season... but cautiously optimistic about tomorrow night... NC State is no slouch, whatsoever... If we show what/who we were in the 2nd half of last season, it's gonna be a fun night... IMO, it depends on how our D plays at the end of the day....And, on paper, our D really looks like it can do some things... no disrespect to our O whatsoever btw...

Exciting times are back on the gridiron in Storrs, CT folks....
East Hartford*

Reaction Score
If you don't feel optimistic before the opener, you will rarely feel optimistic. And we are still feeding off the positivity of another basketball natty.

That said, objectively speaking there is a lot more to be optimistic abut in 2023. The football program is in the hands of competent people. There is experience and depth at almost every position. We're coming off a bowl season. Those are real things.
Agreed. Just like the beginning of baseball season, you better feel optimistic at the beginning of the season.

But the team did seem to make strides and I am looking forward to this season with as much optimism as I have had in a long time. I am planning some travel to away games. I will be watching some of the transfers like Jalen Mitchell, Plack, Hansen and the freshman Neider. I am hopeful that the QB situation and passing game has improved from last year.

Reaction Score
I am looking at this season as a quantum leap in performance by UConn due to the players having had a full year in Coach Mora's system. For once the team got through training camp relatively unscathed.
Funny moment today at my Club Meeting:
A member asked me "What do you think about tomorrow night?"
Before I could answer, a 2nd member says "What's going on tomorrow night?"
When told by myself & the 1st member that it's UConn Football's opening night, the 2nd member says "Oh yeah! I have tickets to the game. That's tomorrow?"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom