Alleyne to the transfer portal | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Alleyne to the transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And has proceeded to go 81-89 in the 6 seasons since. He's one of the most overrated coaches in the country
Many of these D1 coaches are excellent coaches. I think we’ve set the standard a bit too high for most programs. Coaches at the D1 level tend to be very good. Sure there are exceptions like Ewing who got his job based on his playing career, but Frank Martin, Ed Cooley, etc. have reached this level based on the fact that they know what they’re doing. Let’s not lose sight of that.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
So much for keeping the team together for another title run. Pretty much every what-if went the wrong way for that to happen. Hoping Tristan sticks around.

Take a deep breath. Enjoy how awesome we have it as Husky fans. We will be fine. Too much talent is a great thing to have.

And to Nahiem:

No Thank You GIF by LindoYes

Reaction Score
Many of these D1 coaches are excellent coaches. I think we’ve set the standard a bit too high for most programs. Coaches at the D1 level tend to be very good. Sure there are exceptions like Ewing who got his job based on his playing career, but Frank Martin, Ed Cooley, etc. have reached this level based on the fact that they know what they’re doing. Let’s not lose sight of that.
Sorry Frank, didn't realize you were lurking here

Reaction Score
Just makes you wonder what Hurley is cooking up for next year. The plan is starting to take shape. Three big contributors gone. This is what happens when you put together the perfect team. As Hurley noted we are in the me season right now. That will continue until the rosters are set.
Four big contributors. Hawkins, Sanogo, Nahiem, and Joey.

Reaction Score
He’s made one tournament in the past 11 years, 10 of which were him at a power conference school in the SEC, a school with resources. Cooley was turning PC into a respectable program and making the tourney every year, they aren’t even comparable right now.

Reaction Score
If the people are right about our Newton/Castle starting backcourt, there’s a chance he would’ve been fighting Timberlake/Ball/Stewart for backup wing minutes. That’s a bloodbath, really can’t blame him for getting out and finding a place he can easily play.
Nail on the head.

Once Alleyne got comfortable, he was a perfectly, efficient backup two-way wing. Fit a need perfectly for this championship team and I wish him the best.

I mean, after how amazingly Brendan Adams played at GW, I'm sure they'd love another UConn transfer. :)

Reaction Score
I thought Stephon and the Castle family would be a factor. Plus he was a girl friend in Storrs. A lot of good reasons to stay.

Either way, he will shine elsewhere and I hope he does. He's a great kid...
Go to Rhody or UMass, put up big numbers, become a star, and return to UConn on weekends if he so chooses for social reasons.

Thank you, Nahiem. Wonderful person, and great two-way contributor off the bench for a championship team.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
How does the portal actually work? Do those who enter get an app where they can swipe right or swipe left so they only hear from the schools they're interested in?
I thought one of the MC characters either Dr Strange or Wong had to open the portal up for others to pass through:):)

Reaction Score
I feel differently about Alleyne than any of the other transfers. He was a huge part of the NC, and of course will be missed. But I think we will have plenty of good guards in his place that will replace much of his contribution. What I will miss the most is rooting for him in a UConn uniform. He was one of the more likable players on the most likable team I’ve ever seen.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UMass has not been a good program, but Frank Martin can coach as evidenced by taking South Carolina to the FF

You do realize that South Carolina fired him?

And that he blew up UMass’s season last year by featuring his inept kid?

He’s a bad coach.

Reaction Score
How does the portal actually work? Do those who enter get an app where they can swipe right or swipe left so they only hear from the schools they're interested in?

It's a website with a database of all athletes and their eligibility #s. The kid informs the school, and the school has (iirc) 2 days to put their name in the "portal"

People can then log in to the portal to see who is available.

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
Best of luck, you played a big part in bringing in hardware to Storrs. Does this mean we get a yes from this stud Friday ?

Thanks for posting this. I didnt realize he could throw it down with force. That could be a lot of fun to watch and I could live with that trade off for Alleyne.

Damn, hurts to see him go though. It will be fun to watch what happens and hopefully its something even more spectacular than helping UCONN win this title.

Reaction Score
Public service message to everyone: you can choose to like this new era of transferring and NIL or you can choose to hate it. What you can’t do is deny it, it’s the new reality.

I am sad to see Alleyne go, but we all want what is best for him. And others that chose UConn and then choose to go elsewhere. This will be the new norm of college basketball free agency.
Sad but reality. Something about this team breaking up makes me sadder than other years. It was an easy to love deep dominant team.

Reaction Score
Any support for the possibility he may join Pitino as Johnnie? He obviously need players. He would probably start there.

Reactions: MJ1
Reaction Score
Me thinks this says newton us staying and backcourt/wing minutes will be tough if not similar to last year. He’s proved he needs more floor time. May bode well for diarra.
That's if Diarra improves his fimshing at the rim. If you note, Diarra he played 1 min against Miami and 3 mins against SDSU. Not much confidence exhibited by Coach Dan. He had solid time during the season, but had a habit of being out of control as he drove to the hoop.

Reaction Score
Best of luck, you played a big part in bringing in hardware to Storrs. Does this mean we get a yes from this stud Friday ?

He gets great height on him jumper, getting his shot off won't be a problem. Hurley is going to have to get him to improve his defense which he will but he's a plug and play offensive weapon right away.

Reaction Score
He’s made one tournament in the past 11 years, 10 of which were him at a power conference school in the SEC, a school with resources. Cooley was turning PC into a respectable program and making the tourney every year, they aren’t even comparable right now.
Frank Martin is a really good coach. He took Kansas St. to the NCAAs 4 out of 5 years and 1 year to the NIT. Went to an elite 8 and won a tournament game each year. Winning conference record each year in the Big 12. As for South Carolina, it's a tough place to win if you look at history since they joined the SEC.

Can he win at UMass? Hard to say as the issues at UMass are not just coaching.

Reaction Score
If the people are right about our Newton/Castle starting backcourt, there’s a chance he would’ve been fighting Timberlake/Ball/Stewart for backup wing minutes. That’s a bloodbath, really can’t blame him for getting out and finding a place he can easily play.
Add in Ross. He is criminally underrated, a late bloomer and our best incoming freshman shooter. He's long and getting better on D. Was really Luhi's best player down the stretch for a top 5 team in the country. When he hits a college weight room watch out.

Reaction Score
Add in Ross. He is criminally underrated, a late bloomer and our best incoming freshman shooter. He's long and getting better on D. Was really Luhi's best player down the stretch for a top 5 team in the country. When he hits a college weight room watch out.
I think Hurley will turn him into an asset on defense year 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom