Alabama Post Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Alabama Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Still processing. Alabama went 11-23 (48%) on threes.

Mark Sears scored 24 on 64% FG and 50% 3P. Grant Nelson had 19/15. Estrada had 13

UConn won by 14.
This team is not normal.
They were 8-11 on threes in the first half but somehow still trailed by 4 .
Give Alabama credited we took away the three point line in the second but they were still running their plays and made some big shots to hang in three . When Castle our best player to that point. sat with 4 fouls with 4 minutes to go i was still worried.
NCS went cold and panicked and just played helper skelter where Alabama pretty much played as well as they could so comparing games is worthless.

Reaction Score
I was at the game sitting in the NC State lower section after they lost and lots of fans moved on. It was great to watch the game and Caslte was awesome with inside drives. I wish he didn't settle for so many 3's after hitting hitting 2 but he was a difference maker on both sides of the ball. Is cam just so clutth. Every time we were in a funk Cam made a big rebound, shot or pass. He was terrifc. Good to see Karban get back on track. Clingan was good but I wonter if his wrapped hand impacted his offense as he seem to not go up as srog as he had been doing. Great game now on the win it all and up those obnoxious "Boiler Up" Purdue fans.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
Best player on the court. There wasn’t a close second. This was his game. To do that as a freshman is amazing.
I agree with this, but Cam was a co-MVP. His rebounding had to leave Bama with Psychological damage.

A lot of our guys had their moments, but Castle was the consistent pressure on them. It would have been nice to see what AK would have gotten done if he didn't pick up that phantom second.

The identity of this team is to just keep tightening the screws, until they break. The defense for the majority of the 2nd half was stifling and overall the effort was more like a low 60s than the 72 they gave up.

caw

Reaction Score
Dropped to #2 (Alabama is #21), but they shoot far less 3's. Their offense is run through Edey and then kick it out for 3's whereas Alabama is all about 3's

They also shoot a good amount off of Smith/Edey PnR where defenders help and Smith drives and kicks and then they swing the ball for the open shot.

Reaction Score
You can hear Donovan yell “another one!” from the baseline microphone after Castle’s second three.

Sorry if this was obvious the mojo require me to watch the games on mute so I’m watching it with sound for the first time.
Always cater to the mojo for the greater good.

Reaction Score
Only 4 turnovers. Wow. Blown away by that.

DC with just 2 fouls, and for much of the game only 1 is unheralded and required tons of discipline. Repeat that Monday PLEASE even if its 1 extra.

Credit to Bama, they played a heck of a game and looked scary in the first half, 8 for 11 from 3, but Huskies really responded in the second half, just 3 for 12. Once they dropped below 50 percent from 3 for the first time (5:34 I think, 69-61) I knew Uconn had it.

Last edited:

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
They shot 23 of them. UConn, known more for their inside game, shot 25 threes. So I don't think Alabama put up as many as they planned to.
The second half adjustment Danny made was perfect. Alabama went from 75% to 25%. Add to that that Tristan stopped jacking up early threes. Held Alabama to lowest point total of the season. The talking heads especially Sir Charles were all about Alabama being well on their way to 15 3's which would win them the game! Not

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Team.........FG%........3P%
Alabama...47.7%.......37.1%
Purdue......49.1%.......40.6%

fwiw, as far as FG attempts, Alabama is tied with St. John's. The teams we lost to shoot far less than Alabama..

This is an interesting way to use data but sure.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Serious question: isn’t Purdue the best three point shooting team in America?
It’s about how they shoot the 3…they shoot the 3 in the flow of the offense since everyone has to double team edey. But you know that…

Reaction Score
As I watch a replay of this game and what Samson Johnson did last night, I am convincing myself that he is more than an adequate 5 for the future. We have won championships with much weaker 5's. A more experienced and confident SJ will surprise all of us. His game will need to expand, but what is there is good enough, depending on the supporting players.
Maybe so if he can put on 20 lbs of beef. SJ does have amazing quickness and great vertical. He is growing his own brand and fun to watch. He gives our guards another option as does Donavon.

Reaction Score
Strictly playground ball. Cheap shotting punk fouling Hurley with game over. Maybe he wanted us to get one more look at his momma. Nice try loser.
How about he wanted to give Andrew a chance to score but didn’t realize it was only their 6th team foul

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I had to watch and keep tabs on the score as I had purchased Wrestlemania 40 tix back in August for my kids as a Christmas gift. Still wore my customary game day outfit to the Linc, but I was a bit nervous as I wasn’t going to be in my usual recliner in front of the TV. Then it occurred to me that Danny is always making WWE references so despite sitting a few seats from a middle aged man fully dressed up as Randy ‘The Macho Man’ Savage, I felt that the mojo wouldn’t be affected too much. Also, the number 40 in Roman numeral is…XL, but that may be reaching.

Reaction Score
They shot 23 of them. UConn, known more for their inside game, shot 25 threes. So I don't think Alabama put up as many as they planned to.

We limited their attempts from 3 in the second half. We started switching more matchups and trusted DC in the back. I t worked.

Reaction Score
Grant Nelson and Sears really really impressed me. Nelson just very strong skilled and quick, and then Sears is a serious dynamo. It felt like Sears would not miss a shot if given a clear look, also just very nifty with his pick n roll play and attacking off the dribble. Both pros, Sears certainly and Nelson if he keeps working on his shooting.

Reaction Score
Yup. The announcers said that we adjusted our defense in the second half. We didn't. But like you said elsewhere, it was careens, tough bounces, offensive rebounds, broken plays that got them decent 3s. It was almost never in the regular rhythm because our defense disrupted them that much. Hitting those type of shots consistently is really hard. They were bound to start missing.

We did adjust our defense. Not A LOT, but it was there. Switched more on Sears to avoid giving anyone space to shoot.

Reaction Score
He ended 3 for 9 after starting 1 for 6. 33% is not terrible. He was a stud in the 2nd half.

Not terribly concerned about the %. That will even out. He played with a low basketball IQ in big moments. He'll get in the film room and be fine.

Reaction Score
Well, maybe. The problem is that you're probably not gameplanning to stop the shooting, The first gameplan is Edey.

Or is it? We'll see I guess. That's the chess match Purdue opponents have struggled with all year.

Conveniently, most teams don't have a monstar to match Purdue's monstar.

Karaban's check--I'm forgetting his name--isn't very good. I expect we have some idea for how to try some double-teams.

Reaction Score
As I watch a replay of this game and what Samson Johnson did last night, I am convincing myself that he is more than an adequate 5 for the future. We have won championships with much weaker 5's. A more experienced and confident SJ will surprise all of us. His game will need to expand, but what is there is good enough, depending on the supporting players.
Allie Ziebell, one of the incoming UConn w freshmen, who won the combined mens/womens 3 pt contest @ the McD's game said she took 100K shots in practice over the summer. Not saying SJ needs to do that, but would love to see his shooting improve. Then he just might be "up on the wall."

Reaction Score
Not terribly concerned about the %. That will even out. He played with a low basketball IQ in big moments. He'll get in the film room and be fine.
Did have 9 assists though. I agree that he is probably the least of our worries.

Reaction Score
Tip my cap to Bama. Great game They pressed us to the edge. Sears as a Little lefty was a tuff guard for castle but…. Castle balled out.. Now we got Bristol vs the 2 time player of year that stiff Edey. And of course , cam and Karaban with the late night daggers. Can’t wait till Monday. Clingan vs Edey. The matchup we ve been waiting for all year!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom