Akok and Hawkins | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Akok and Hawkins

Reaction Score
Alok can't cut it with his opponents at his position. It hurts to not have offense from Hawkins though. I counted on some.

Reaction Score
He absolutely did not miss badly last night and his defense isn’t as bad as people have been suggesting
Did you watch the same game I did? One of his threes hit the backboard and wasn't close to the rim. Another one was way off also.

Upon further review of this thread it looks like many of us saw something different than you did.

Reaction Score
I‘m just wondering if Akok’s injury a few years back has gotten in his way and he’s lost confidence in himself…just sayin
it seems like before his injury he was playing lights out…not the same player now. Just my opinion

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This staff is not doing a good job developing players right now. Still can’t believe the regression we’ve seen in Jordan Hawkins. Hurley has overcoached the confidence right out of him.

Reaction Score
I‘m just wondering if Akok’s injury a few years back has gotten in his way and he’s lost confidence in himself…just sayin
it seems like before his injury he was playing lights out…not the same player now. Just my opinion
From the games I’ve seen all Akok needs to do is stay in his man. He gets lost on every screen, pick, or switch. Bad too, as his length, athleticism, and effort can make up the ground. But he gets lost. If we played zone he’d be in all game.

Reaction Score
BPM is stat that really measures your impact on the game offensively and defensively. Akok is third on the team. I love Sanogo but he was 3-10 last night. Whaley wasn’t great against DePaul.

Reaction Score
He had 2 shots rim out that were halfway down
Pretty sure you're thinking of two games ago.

Last game Hawkins' first shot violently caromed off the backboard and the second was a brick as well.

He has a nice stroke but he has absolutely zero confidence in his game right now. I don't see him getting it back playing through the toughest stretch of opponents we have either.

Reaction Score
Is so then he never confuses the D because it he does it every time, and he does confuse his teammates, because too often they get swallowed up by a double team, especially Cole.

Correct IMO. Whaley slipping is a good read at times. The problem is he does it 50% of the time. He flares to the 3 point line another 1/3 of the time. Both of these are good reads... but he needs to be setting strong screens half the time, not once every 5 trips down the floor.

That's something they should be going over in the film. Hopefully pays off vs Nova

Reaction Score
This staff is not doing a good job developing players right now. Still can’t believe the regression we’ve seen in Jordan Hawkins. Hurley has overcoached the confidence right out of him.

I don't know if it's quite that simple, but I'm sure if Hurley could redo everything he would coach him differently. It's hard to blame a coach for that. It's kind of unpredictable how a kid is going to deal with adversity... all of our recruits were highly successful in HS--they didn't deal with the ups and downs of a college season before really.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don't know if it's quite that simple, but I'm sure if Hurley could redo everything he would coach him differently. It's hard to blame a coach for that. It's kind of unpredictable how a kid is going to deal with adversity... all of our recruits were highly successful in HS--they didn't deal with the ups and downs of a college season before really.
I don't know man you can kind of see it in real time watching the games. It wasn't even adversity per se as just flat out unnecessary. He was playing well and getting pulled for any little mistake. He didn't allow him to play through and it was very frustrating to watch. He went from being in attack mode the first couple of games to now being very tentative because he's afraid to make mistakes that get pulled. Hurley can teach defense amazingly but we really need someone who knows offense.

Reaction Score
He absolutely did not miss badly last night and his defense isn’t as bad as people have been suggesting
Didn't miss badly? One of his 3 point attempts was among the ugliest I have ever seen. I believe it was his first attempt.

Reaction Score
BPM is stat that really measures your impact on the game offensively and defensively. Akok is third on the team. I love Sanogo but he was 3-10 last night. Whaley wasn’t great against DePaul.
BPM should not be relied upon as a single stat. It's per minute and has no adjustment for volume or role. So if you take wide open shots and get rebounds while you're in the game, you'll do well in BPM. Compare only with guys that have similar roles/positions.

Reaction Score
Hawkins needs the psychologist that was on Ted Lasso.

Reaction Score
In the women’s game, the top teams (South Carolina, Stanford) routinely play 10 or more players no matter who the opponent. It gets reserves in shape and able to contribute, and the team is upbeat and “happy”. Plus these teams have more energy at the end.

Wish Hurley would do this.
Noticed that Marquette is doing this. Shaka gives his end of the bench frosh 3-5 minutes. (Stevie Mitchell, Joplin, etc.).

Wish DH would do this with Samson.

Reaction Score
I have to believe that Akok may be falling out of the rotation, if that is the case does Johnson get some PT? I have noticed the last 2 games that he seems to be paying attention during timeouts and his body language has been very good. Like he was told to be ready. And either Gaffney or Hawkins has to remain in the rotation. What is the lesser of the 2 evils, I say play Hawkins, maybe he will snap oiut of it. Gaffney is in his 3rd year, what we see is what we get.

Reaction Score
I have to believe that Akok may be falling out of the rotation, if that is the case does Johnson get some PT? I have noticed the last 2 games that he seems to be paying attention during timeouts and his body language has been very good. Like he was told to be ready. And either Gaffney or Hawkins has to remain in the rotation. What is the lesser of the 2 evils, I say play Hawkins, maybe he will snap oiut of it. Gaffney is in his 3rd year, what we see is what we get.
I agree with this. Unless we can develop Hawkins enough to get points out of him, it's a problem. We've seen him put points up in a hurry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom