Aidan Mahaney | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Aidan Mahaney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
View attachment 100159
I mean this is a good sign for Mahaney right??

Post a screenshot of Dave Kingman following Delbert McClinton, and I'll think you're onto something.

And are they really holding back on announcing a walk-on named Sampson Jackson, Jr?

Or was that just a guy on Dischord playing a sour note and claiming that this whole thread's topic is a sham, and that the really story is a 5th season for Andrew M. Hurley? (That one I looked into, and his real middle initial is R, though there is an actor in his 50s with the initial M).

I’m sure they laugh and enjoy it…initially. Like anything of this nature though, it gets old and annoying after a while.
Fortunately, we're not there yet.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I’m sure they laugh and enjoy it…initially. Like anything of this nature though, it gets old and annoying after a while.
Good nature humor with shared “friends” biding time while things play out. This is loads better than the Cockburn and Akok threads.

Plus this will Peter out as people get fewer and fewer likes.

Reaction Score
Good nature humor with shared “friends” biding time while things play out. This is loads better than the Cockburn and Akok threads.

Plus this will Peter out as people get fewer and fewer likes.
It's good to be the king.

hq720.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The disrespect for Solo is astounding to me. He is gonna shut a lot of people up this coming year.

Is it disrespectful to be honest? His handles aren't good enough to be a secondary ballhandler with our brutal schedule. He has other strengths that benefit the team.

If he was a perfect player, he's be in the league.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
*their
They’re iis usually a bad choice.
I see your point, and agree recruiting over kids could lead to a problem with trust if DH is misleading players, but he doesn't seem the type to do that.
i don’t think he misleads players. I do think that he will go after players to fill holes he sees and we are now in an era when some pretty good seasoned players are available as opposed to hs kids and it wouldn’t surprise me if some hs kids take that into account now when making decisions. I guess we will find out. I know some BYers believe Castle will lead to a string of McD AA potential one and done types. We may have gotten one this week but we were not his original choice. So it remains to be seen if that will happen or if a lot of top hs recruits who leave college early makes a solid program. Castle and Clingan likely have zero NC without the 3-4 year or grad vets we have had the last 2 years, half of whom came through the portal.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Is it disrespectful to be honest? His handles aren't good enough to be a secondary ballhandler with our brutal schedule. He has other strengths that benefit the team.

Mild criticism is not tolerated on this board.

Reaction Score
How long of a walk from Stores to Boston so Mulvaney can get authentic Irish cuisine?

Could be a deciding factor (imo).
What about Vaughan's Public House in Hartford. Sounds like an okay place if anybody has been there on the Yard.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They’re iis

i don’t think he misleads players. I do think that he will go after players to fill holes he sees and we are now in an era when some pretty good seasoned players are available as opposed to hs kids and it wouldn’t surprise me if some hs kids take that into account now when making decisions. I guess we will find out. I know some BYers believe Castle will lead to a string of McD AA potential one and done types. We may have gotten one this week but we were not his original choice. So it remains to be seen if that will happen or if a lot of top hs recruits who leave college early makes a solid program. Castle and Clingan likely have zero NC without the 3-4 year or grad vets we have had the last 2 years, half of whom came through the portal.
I’m not sure why you’re creating a negative spin around the recruitment/portal process.

Our coaches have not demonstrated winning at all cost. They follow the rules. They spend a lot of time researching players but they never can be 100% certain of their evaluations. Plus they have additional uncertainty because players they thought would be in the program several years move on. It could be from mistreatment but in this past two years we’ve lost players because the staff accelerated their progress.

Winning has value beyond increasing the coaches salary or making fans happy. It helps the university. It creates a positive atmosphere in the program and even bench players experience a positive feeling.

There’s very little in this world that’s 100% positive or negative. If the coaches have to choose between getting another ball handler or pleasing a current player who hasn’t demonstrated that skill they will have positive and negative consequences in both situations.

You’re pointing out only the negative consequences to that one player. How about the other players who, with the addition of a player that provides missing skills, have an improved chance to have their own personal success. Is it fair to deprive them of this opportunity?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I’m not sure why you’re creating a negative spin around the recruitment/portal process.

Our coaches have not demonstrated winning at all cost. They follow the rules. They spend a lot of time researching players but they never can be 100% certain of their evaluations. Plus they have additional uncertainty because players they thought would be in the program several years move on. It could be from mistreatment but in this past two years we’ve lost players because the staff accelerated their progress.

Winning has value beyond increasing the coaches salary or making fans happy. It helps the university. It creates a positive atmosphere in the program and even bench players experience a positive feeling.

There’s very little in this world that’s 100% positive or negative. If the coaches have to choose between getting another ball handler or pleasing a current player who hasn’t demonstrated that skill they will have positive and negative consequences in both situations.

You’re pointing out only the negative consequences to that one player. How about the other players who, with the addition of a player that provides missing skills, have an improved chance to have their own personal success. Is it fair to deprive them of this opportunity?
Who said it was 100% positive or negative? I‘m pretty sure I said the portal has been great so far for UConn. And I’m pretty sure I said we will see what the future brings. Describing an actual scenario is neither negative nor positive. I however am not on the early departure bandwagon. Maybe we get on a roll again next year, but I would still rather have Clingan and Castle on my side a little longer. And no, I don’t begrudge the kids who leave, I would too, and wish them well, but I want UConn to win and don’t care about the NBA. I’m fine with people who have different interests.

Reaction Score

I do think the kid didn’t get a chance to improve because he was relegated to the bench. I guess we will see. Has’ handle was subpar two years ago. Solo’s handle wasn’t that lose last year. I think this kid is going to be more than solid.

Reaction Score
Just imagine this roster for a minute. I believe Diarra and AK return. Now assume we lock up Brea and Mahaney (I know, big if). This is my guess at a depth chart for the OOC. I hate using 1-5 positions, but here it goes:

PG: Diarra, Nowell
SG: Mahaney, Solo
SF: McNeely, Brea, Ross
PF: Karaban, Stewart
C: Reed, Samson, Singare

That's a brilliant amount of depth. Room for injuries and ability to change matchup when needed. Tons of IQ. 4+ solid shooters and a few more who can hit it. A ton of low TO passers. Some beef inside or a high-flyer depending on the look we want to throw out.

The BENCH would probably win 10 games in the Big East and make the tournament on their own.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Just imagine this roster for a minute. I believe Diarra and AK return. Now assume we lock up Brea and Mahaney (I know, big if). This is my guess at a depth chart for the OOC. I hate using 1-5 positions, but here it goes:

That's a brilliant amount of depth. Room for injuries and ability to change matchup when needed. Tons of IQ. 4+ solid shooters and a few more who can hit it. A ton of low TO passers. Some beef inside or a high-flyer depending on the look we want to throw out.

The BENCH would probably win 10 games in the Big East and make the tournament on their own.
If this happens (I know, huge if), Karaban will likely average his fewest minutes per game in his junior year.

For the record, I believe Hurley would prefer a situation where he could cap everyone's minutes at 26-28 per game. That he hasn't done this yet is due to limitations at certain positions.

Reaction Score

Get your point and agree with your opinion. Don't sleep on Abraham

Reaction Score

Love this lineup

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Get your point and agree with your opinion. Don't sleep on Abraham
Plus, when it's laid out so clearly, the need for a 4th big becomes glaringly obvious: the team doesn't have anybody who measures a full Hilton unit, let alone a 7-footer.

It's like we've overcompensated for 15 months ago when we didn't have point guard.

But we're limited to 13 scholarships!

Worried?
Concerned?
Very concerned?
Burn it all down?

There should be a Scoville scale equivalent for levels of alarm.

Or is the need for a 4th big glaringly dubious?

Oh wait, would that be Shoeless Sampson Jackson Jr?

#countdowntoMay1st

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member