Aidan Mahaney | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Aidan Mahaney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Comparing our portal adds the last two seasons is apples and oranges to our situation this coming year.

For 22/23, Floyd and Diggins bailed, Gaffney wasn't really cut out for the new offensive Hurley was moving toward and probably nudged out, and Cole decided not to use his last year, so we were left with a big hole at PG and no bench. Plus Akok moved on. We had to pick up some transfers, but only one of which (Newton) was a starter, with the rest just depth pieces (Joey, Alleyne, and Hass), but otherwise our traditional recruits started and were the core of the team.

This last year, we had a great freshman class, but none other than Castle were ready for big minutes. So with Hawkins and Andre going to the NBA, we did need a strategic portal addition at guard so we brought in Cam (after Timberlake thankfully didn't work out).

This coming year, assuming Karaban stays, we have a battle tested core of Karaban, Hass, and Johnson. You can probably include Stewart in there too. Then we have two other talented sophomores in Ball and Ross, and newcomers Nowell and hopefully McNeely, both of which will be in the mix from day one. We then added the depth we needed at center with a transfer Reed. I don't understand why people look at this and don't see a deep quality team, and feel that we need to add more transfers (other than a depth ball handler piece). Yes we need to have some faith that Stewart continues his ascent and that Ball and Ross make an good jump, but I think that is all likely, at least as likely as transfer fitting right into our system and being what we want them to be.

Lets face it, we have been lucky with the transfers we've brought in, especially Newton and Cam. Granted credit goes to the coaching staff for identifying players who work and buy into in our system, but they also wanted Timberlake which if we got and didn't bring Cam in, I do not think we would have been a top 5 team and winning the championship this year. You could argue he would have been different/better coached up here, and maybe that's true, but based on what I saw of him this year for Kansas, I don't really think so. Transfers are not a sure thing, even for our coaching staff. And remember, the coaching staff recruited and brought in our freshmen because they saw something in them and coached them all year long. I have as much faith that they'll step up as much as some of the transfers we are looking at.

I am absolutely not against bringing in transfers when it makes sense, we have used the portal well, but the grass is not always greener there
If you’re okay with the Reed and possible McNeely addition then what’s the problem? The only other players people have been talking about are Brea and Mahaney. Even if we bring in Brea too we’ll still be dependent on freshman and sophomores being ready to contribute. Another portal guard just lowers the risk a bit.

Reaction Score
Comparing our portal adds the last two seasons is apples and oranges to our situation this coming year.

For 22/23, Floyd and Diggins bailed, Gaffney wasn't really cut out for the new offensive Hurley was moving toward and probably nudged out, and Cole decided not to use his last year, so we were left with a big hole at PG and no bench. Plus Akok moved on. We had to pick up some transfers, but only one of which (Newton) was a starter, with the rest just depth pieces (Joey, Alleyne, and Hass), but otherwise our traditional recruits started and were the core of the team.

This last year, we had a great freshman class, but none other than Castle were ready for big minutes. So with Hawkins and Andre going to the NBA, we did need a strategic portal addition at guard so we brought in Cam (after Timberlake thankfully didn't work out).

This coming year, assuming Karaban stays, we have a battle tested core of Karaban, Hass, and Johnson. You can probably include Stewart in there too. Then we have two other talented sophomores in Ball and Ross, and newcomers Nowell and hopefully McNeely, both of which will be in the mix from day one. We then added the depth we needed at center with a transfer Reed. I don't understand why people look at this and don't see a deep quality team, and feel that we need to add more transfers (other than a depth ball handler piece). Yes we need to have some faith that Stewart continues his ascent and that Ball and Ross make an good jump, but I think that is all likely, at least as likely as transfer fitting right into our system and being what we want them to be.

Lets face it, we have been lucky with the transfers we've brought in, especially Newton and Cam. Granted credit goes to the coaching staff for identifying players who work and buy into in our system, but they also wanted Timberlake which if we got and didn't bring Cam in, I do not think we would have been a top 5 team and winning the championship this year. You could argue he would have been different/better coached up here, and maybe that's true, but based on what I saw of him this year for Kansas, I don't really think so. Transfers are not a sure thing, even for our coaching staff. And remember, the coaching staff recruited and brought in our freshmen because they saw something in them and coached them all year long. I have as much faith that they'll step up as much as some of the transfers we are looking at.

I am absolutely not against bringing in transfers when it makes sense, we have used the portal well, but the grass is not always greener there
Then why is Hurley still recruiting transfers? Clearly he feels their is a need and fit with the players they are targeting…

Reaction Score
Pogue Mahone. See if anyone gets this reference. Respect if you can without Googling it.

Reaction Score
Pogue Mahone. See if anyone gets this reference. Respect if you can without Googling it.
2869.jpg

Reaction Score

Luck is opportunity meeting preparation. So yes, we were “Lucky”, two years in a row. Guess what, we are about to get “lucky” again

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Talk about changing the goal posts to prove a point. @boog204 originally said he settles on an 8 man rotation by the start of Big East and then you seek to prove the point by stating how many minutes Diarra played in the Final Four.

For the season
Alleyne 39 GP 17.9min
Joey 38GP 14.5min
Clingan 39GP 13.1min
Diarra 36GP 12.7min

Guess what, that's a 9 man season long rotation that he shortened to go with the hot hand or matchups in the final four.
Plus Diarra had just recovered from the abdominal strain injury that sidelined him for several games at the end of the season. But let’s ignore details so the narrative works.

Reaction Score
gaelic for kiss my arse lol . I saw the pogues with joe strummer in Boston 1991 (shane was too drunk to take stage). Earlier in the day saw Public Enemy and Anthrax at Gampel along w Primus- was moved to an afternoon show bc PE was music guest for Michael Jordan on SNL that night. solid day :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Please name one guy that transferred that was missed? Alternatively one that came and failed? 2 national championships correlated with these roster adjustments. Please trust the staff to make the right decisions. They certainly have earned it. They have a stronger hand now, sit back and enjoy the adjustments.

Reaction Score
Please name one guy that transferred that was missed? Alternatively one that came and failed? 2 national championships correlated with these roster adjustments. Please trust the staff to make the right decisions. They certainly have earned it. They have a stronger hand now, sit back and enjoy the adjustments.
Outside of year one fill in transfers (which were brought on basically to fill out the roster) here’s who he’s brought in via transfers.

RJ Cole, Tyrese Martin, Tristen Newton, Nahiem Alleyne, Joey California, Hassan Diarra, Cam Spencer

Literally not a single miss in there. Multiple all conference guys, All American, NBA draft pick in Martin, sixth man of the year etc etc. They’ve proven over that 4 year stretch they know how to find talent and integrate it into their system. Can’t really name a guy who left who made a major impact somewhere else either.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Do we have enough scholarships for Brea, Mahaney, and AK Return?

Reaction Score
according to Wikipedia, his dad is Belarusian and mom is Ukrainian.
Ok. Definitely read that he was Armenian, but that was bad info. Some other articles confirmed what you noted.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why people look at this and don't see a deep quality team, and feel that we need to add more transfers (other than a depth ball handler piece). Yes we need to have some faith that Stewart continues his ascent and that Ball and Ross make an good jump, but I think that is all likely, at least as likely as transfer fitting right into our system and being what we want them to be.
Reminds me of this clip from Mad Men.

If we can get better, and there’s a legal and ethical way to do it, someone as competitive as Danny (or Don) is going to do it.

You’re on top and you don’t have enough. You don’t want most of it, you want all of it. And I won’t stop til you get all of it.”
-Don Draper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer