Aidan Mahaney | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Aidan Mahaney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Diara isn't coming back it is because The staff recruited over his preferred role and couldn't convince him to take the lesser role. And I trust the staff - so like with Roumoglou, I would be sorry to see him leave, but wish him well.
I'd be shocked if Hass didn't come back. I'm sure Hurley has told him that either the starting 1 is his to lose and/or he'll be getting solid minutes (likely more than last season w/out Newton here logging big time minutes) as the team's sixth man again in the needed role of energizing the team, which sometimes needed a bit of a kick to run their motion offense more quickly and/or needing to attack the paint from the perimeter.

Hass was huge down the stretch knocking down kickout 3s, especially from the corners. He was pesty on D. He'll get plenty of PT when he returns. The freshman PG and whatever perimeter transfer they bring in will need time to adjust and learn Hurley's motion offense and complex defense, which Hass already knows.

By mid to latter season the newbies will hopefully have learned the system and the team will be even more deep than last season. They won't be as top heavy talented as last season, but likely have a couple more rotation players than the past two championship teams. Maybe I'm wrong and it will be predominantly 5 starter +3 rotation players, but I think Hurley will go deeper into the bench next season if we land 2 to 3 more contributors.

Reaction Score
An educated guess based off Hurley saying in an interview that before Diarra made the decision to come back he had to accept the role the staff had planned for him next season.

But as suggested above, it could also be that he is actively seeking alternatives as well.
I think this is the part a lot of people missed.

Reaction Score
So who is a better fit for this team mahaney or brea? Working under the assumption that we get mcneeley commitment.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You take Mahaney if he fits our criteria, 2 years left and is already a solid player.

Reaction Score
Khalid El Amin is the only freshmen starting PG we’ve had in 25 years. odds aren’t Nowell ain’t that
Nolan Traore would start (or an experienced transfer).

And I am not the one that suggested that Hass might not like his role. Hurley's remark stood out, because it was not expected (although it is also possible he just picked Hass as a safe example as he wouldn't want to spook Ball or Ross by making a similar comment).

And just to make it clear: I think Hassan was great last year (more important than he gets credit for) and would be at least as good next year. I have no desire to see him go - I am not the one who hasn't announced the decision to return yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So who is a better fit for this team mahaney or brea? Working under the assumption that we get mcneeley commitment.
Talent wise Brea but there's more minutes for a guard to come in over a wing so for that reason I'll say Mahaney

Reaction Score
Brea is due for some regression and Mahaney is a more rounded overall offensive player. If all 5 starters are gone, we could probably use a bit more shot creation (Ball seems more like a shot finisher, whether dunk or 3 and Brea is definitely a finisher).

Reaction Score
Taliek Brown was another
Was about to chime in on this. JC was really hoping to have KEA one more year to pass the torch onto Taliek. Think it would have helped Taliek a lot, but he obv still had a terrific run at PG on one of the most fun 4-year stretches for me as a fan.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This doesn't say anything about Hass or McNeeley. We need another guard as right now we only have Hass/Ball/Nowell on the roster for next year and Solo can't play pg. Mahaney fills a big need.
I know some will be surprised by this, I was watching him, but I think Ross is more guard than forward. We've had him bring the ball up and operate mostly in the backcourt. Think Guard in the Andre Jackson/Castle meaning of it.

Reaction Score
He's a Hurley, though. His father started an 14 years old, 120 lbs freshman when they were the #1 team in the country back in the early 2000s. He also was the 2nd leading scorer on that team, too. So I say that to say this, if Nowell is ready, Hurley isn't going to be afraid to throw him to the wolves day one.

And if we go by his play in the Jordan Brand game, he definitely looks ready.
You get my point tho. Its never a bad thing to have three high end ball handlers. Whether Nowell is “ready” or not the way there would be balance would benefit him

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if Hass didn't come back. I'm sure Hurley has told him that either the starting 1 is his to lose and/or he'll be getting solid minutes (likely more than last season w/out Newton here logging big time minutes) as the team's sixth man again in the needed role of energizing the team, which sometimes needed a bit of a kick to run their motion offense more quickly and/or needing to attack the paint from the perimeter.

Hass was huge down the stretch knocking down kickout 3s, especially from the corners. He was pesty on D. He'll get plenty of PT when he returns. The freshman PG and whatever perimeter transfer they bring in will need time to adjust and learn Hurley's motion offense and complex defense, which Hass already knows.

By mid to latter season the newbies will hopefully have learned the system and the team will be even more deep than last season. They won't be as top heavy talented as last season, but likely have a couple more rotation players than the past two championship teams. Maybe I'm wrong and it will be predominantly 5 starter +3 rotation players, but I think Hurley will go deeper into the bench next season if we land 2 to 3 more contributors.
FWIW, from the post season interview Hurley did it seems like he likes the idea of Hass as a 6th man.

Reaction Score
I know some will be surprised by this, I was watching him, but I think Ross is more guard than forward. We've had him bring the ball up and operate mostly in the backcourt. Think Guard in the Andre Jackson/Castle meaning of it.
That would help the front court rotation if AK comes back if he is serviceable in a combo guard role!

Reaction Score
Diarra 25 / Nowell 15
McNeeley 10 / Ball 20 / Mahaney 10
Stewart 15 / McNeeley 15 / Mahaney 10
Karaban 30 / Stewart 10
Reed 20 / Johnson 20

30: Karaban
25: Diarra / McNeeley / Stewart
20: Ball / Mahaney / Reed / Johnson
15: Nowell

Mahaney isn’t coming here to play 20 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
Amazing that this staff is so tight lipped that a visit like this is already arranged and all our sleuthing had barely decerned that we had been one of the programs on the list that had reached out. Ever since the Dylan Cardwell ruse. (I'd still like to understand the story around that "visit"). Can I thus hope that Nolan Traore is also enroute for a visit? Lastly, is it a national secret when Aiden is visiting?

Reaction Score
I think Ross could be a two as well, maybe a 1. But yeah, mostly a three but the guy is a good passer. We'll see.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Ross was a point guard until an eight inch growth spurt his sophomore or junior (?) year in high school.

Still working his way into this growth spurt.

Reaction Score
I'm not surprised and have commented that if Ross can gain confidence and maturity, there's no reason he can't have a lil Castle-esque in his game next year. He can bring the ball up just like Steph, but has to add some slashing and slick passing to his game.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Unless people are ok with only having 2 legit ball handlers (diarra and Nowell) then it has to to be Mahaney

Thank you sir.

Brea is not committing if McNeeley does, by his choice OR the coaches…just my guess.

We need another handler and passer, Mahaney happens to also be able to shoot and do a little of everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom