Aidan Mahaney COMMITS to UConn (Merged) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Aidan Mahaney COMMITS to UConn (Merged)

Reaction Score
Really based on some pre-game warmup Capital Classic between the leg dunks? Jaylin can sky for sure on some of his rejections. I think Jayline is a little more athletic and also stronger. Shooting goes to McNeely no questions ask. He also might be a better ball handler than Jaylin.
He's definitely much longer, which helps on the rejections.

Reaction Score
I don't believe this BS for a hot second
Yeah, this is definitely not what went down. Hurley has stated many times that he's never going to target a guy who makes NIL the focus and there is zero chance Hurley got into a bidding war.

Reaction Score
McNeeley's not a bad athlete, definitely better than Karaban, but I still think Stewart is better and he has an extra year of college strength & conditioning under his belt compared to Liam.
Amazing the discussion has come to this. Be happy we can quibble about the small stuff.

cwh20

Six is good!
Reaction Score
Like Hurley said when the team finally landed in Phoenix. (Paraphrasing) I don’t want us thinking of or talking about how we got here. We’re on the ground now and we came to win a championship! That’s our focus!

Kentucky’s board’s posters don’t matter. All the competition has fallen away. Hurley and UConn are the kings of college basketball and that’s so sweet!

Reaction Score
Amazing the discussion has come to this. Be happy we can quibble about the small stuff.
Feels good to finally be able to discuss the roster and potential rotation instead of focusing on the damn portal everyday lol.

Reaction Score
Coach Hurley and his staff unquestionably have the winning formula. This signing speaks volume with regard to how much respect UConn is getting nationwide. Players throughout the country now know who can bring them to the promise land (NCAA Championship) and possibly to the NBA. Aidan Mahaney was one of the top guards in the portal and his presence on the floor will bring experience and leadership qualities. Aidan welcome to UConn!
Well said !

caw

Reaction Score
Kentucky fans are claiming that Trilly was saying on his Discord that UK refused to counter the offer that UConn gave Mahaney in NIL, but I don't sub to Trilly's discord so I'm not sure if it's legit.

You are misreading this, UConn's offer was to play for a NC. UK couldn't counter that.

Yes it was a serious question. McNeeley has more bounce than Jaylin.

Jaylin is a better defender, is better laterally and stronger but does not have the bounce McNeeley does. So depends on what you are talking about in terms of athleticism.

Both him and Solo have strength and defense going for them when it comes to comparing them to McNeeley and Mahaney.

Either way there is a ton of flexibility next year. Right now:

80 minutes between Diarra, Mahaney, Ball and Nowell

80 minutes between Stewart, McNeeley, Ross and Abraham

40 minutes between Hoss and Samson (and Singare)

Two scholarships still open.

Reaction Score
I just don't see us getting Brea at this point. It will be a more developmental piece I think to replace Roumoglou.
Brea’s not coming here, more likely Creighton or Gonzaga.

Reaction Score
He has marshmallows for quads and arms. The Uconn training staff will get him on the summer workout regimen and he'll be walking around Karaban come September :D

When he grows that college muscle he should be that much more explosive.
I know you're kidding but the kid actually has a great base, his legs are big for a basketball player. He probably needs to improve his lateral quickness defensively and he has an average to short wingspan for his size but he's well put together for a high school player and he gets up pretty damn well. He's not just a three point shooter or a taller vertically challenged guy like Spencer like some seem to think.

I watched a lot of Montverde games and he has no problems getting to the rim and finishing. He's pretty much your prototypical NBA wing minus the wingspan and he's one of the most offensively talented players UConn has ever brought in.

Reaction Score
Really based on some pre-game warmup Capital Classic between the leg dunks? Jaylin can sky for sure on some of his rejections. I think Jayline is a little more athletic and also stronger. Shooting goes to McNeely no questions ask. He also might be a better ball handler than Jaylin.
Based on watching his high school games.

Reaction Score
Let's see what he does in the College level before calling him the next MJ athletically. He seems more of a good athlete with an elite skill set of shooting from what I have seen.
What's the point of doing this? I said he has more bounce than Jaylin, I didn't compare his leaping to Michael friggin' Jordan.

Reaction Score
What's the point of doing this? I said he has more bounce than Jaylin, I didn't compare his leaping to Michael friggin' Jordan.
We are talking about overall athlete including lateral quickness. We had people before saying he was on Castle's level of athlete which I have to laugh at. What's next MJ? I mean let the guy be who he is which is a decent athlete with a handle and great shot.

Reaction Score
we still need a sharp-shooter from 3. Brea is the perfect piece for the last scholarship/NIL deal. Then, I think DH can call it a day.

Reaction Score
Goodbye Cam, hello Cam 2.

Awesome pickup. Filling the perimeter shooting need and ball handling, especially if Karaban stays in the draft.
The best part is he'll be here for two years, whereas Cam was a unique 1 year mercenary that paid off beyond expectations.

You take the best player and fit that you can get, but it takes so much pressure off Team resources when you can land the likes of Reed and Mahaney who can grow into the culture and be ready now.

Reaction Score
I think the newly added talent makes coming back more attractive for both Karaban and Diarra, as they would have a shot to be starters on a 3-peat which hasn’t happened in like 60 years
Pretty sure Karaban is about a lock to start as anyone in college basketball.

caw

Reaction Score
LOL he's way better than Cam Spencer according to one of these guys.

Better, no. Cam played like an old man schooling kids. Mahaney is quicker and more athletic. His upside is high but he isn't automatic from three like Cam and doesn't have that silly good footwork. Not sure I can think of a really good comparison at UConn.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
If Diarra doesn't come back would Mahaney start at PG? Adam Finkelstein sure made it sound like he could if needed. Not saying Diarra isn't coming back but right now we as aren't 100% sure of who will be on the roster besides confirmed players. That would mean we would still be looking for another guard in the portal too.

I'm not sure he doesn't anyway ... but I don't know what those convos have been with Hassan and Coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom