Aidan Mahaney COMMITS to UConn (Merged) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Aidan Mahaney COMMITS to UConn (Merged)

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Are we thinking Aidan as the starting 2 guard over Ball at this point? I was reading UConn Report referring to him as a bench piece... but I don't think so.

Reaction Score
Interesting Solo gave up his number too. So stoked for this kid. Been a fan since R32 last year!
Yes, he stood out for me in that game as well - even if his team was overmatched.

Reaction Score
Best quote:
“The coaching staff doesn’t rebuild at UConn, they reload,” Mahaney told ESPN. “There is no tip-toeing around the fact that the program is going for it all again, and I am ready to be a part of that journey towards continued greatness. One game at a time, obviously, but the goals at UConn are set the moment you walk into the facilities. National champs.”

Reaction Score
How many 4's that are of the type you wouldn't mind seeing get minutes at UConn sign in May and what is left come June?

These are things the staff has to evaluate against what they believe the chances that Karaban returns (and their knowledge is far better than ours).
We didn’t see Spencer coming around this time last year I don’t think did we?

Reaction Score
It's a mixed bag. Some are dogging on him, others have just conceded their status relative to us in the college basketball world at this time.
View attachment 100235
It looks like they have gone through the stages. First anger, then denial, and then finally acceptance. FYI, I know some Kentucky fans and they are cool and great fans. Unfortunately, Rupp Rafters, with the exception of this poster, seem to be worst of the worst of Kentucky fans.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
"I chose UConn because I want to compete for national championships," Mahaney said. "UConn is a place that keeps the main thing the main thing. The coaching staff has proven themselves to be the best in the country the last two years. Offensively with Luke Murray, I'll be in a different system that should allow my game to grow even more. And defensively with Kimani Young, I'll be challenged to become the best I can be. Coach Hurley will push me to be the best player I can be and I can't wait to pick his brain and the rest of the staff. Every subsection from managers to grad assistants and DOBOs all work incredibly hard and are detailed down to a T with everything.

"I chose UConn to be pushed, to be a part of something bigger than myself, to compete for a national championship and to become a pro."

Reaction Score
There's the ballhandler we needed. We're a complete team now if our vets come back (and I believe they will). My guess at a depth chart to start the year...

PG: Diarra, Nowell
SG: Mahaney, Solo
SF: McNeely, Stewart, Ross
PF: Karaban, Abraham
C: Reed, Samson, Singare

Obviously there's some positional flexibility there with Stewart especially (I believe he'll get 20 a game or more and his finishing at the rim will be the best on the team). But man, that team is deeper than we're used to. I see 8 guys who will definitely play and another 2 who can get there if (when) they put in the work. Enough vets to give our young guys space to develop, 3 good shooters and another 3-4 with known potential. Enough ballhandling and passing to break the press. Bruiser inside with a high-flyer for a different look. Probably 5 guys who are + defenders. A few STRONG guards.

We'll need out frontcourt to step up rebounding more than we're used to. And we may need to tighten up perimeter rotations without a guy like Clingan swallowing up 90% of layups. But wow... that's a good team. #7 imminent.

That bench would make the tournament on their own if everyone keeps developing.
I think Samson will start at Center beginning of the year but I agree with the rest.

Reaction Score
"I chose UConn because I want to compete for national championships," Mahaney said. "UConn is a place that keeps the main thing the main thing. The coaching staff has proven themselves to be the best in the country the last two years. Offensively with Luke Murray, I'll be in a different system that should allow my game to grow even more. And defensively with Kimani Young, I'll be challenged to become the best I can be. Coach Hurley will push me to be the best player I can be and I can't wait to pick his brain and the rest of the staff. Every subsection from managers to grad assistants and DOBOs all work incredibly hard and are detailed down to a T with everything.

"I chose UConn to be pushed, to be a part of something bigger than myself, to compete for a national championship and to become a pro."

I was about to post this same thing but was looking through 5 pages to see if anyone already did. Damn you beat me to it by 2 minutes. LOL! I love all the complete quotes in the article.

Reaction Score
There's a lot of videos on Mahaney all over YouTube...college highlight tapes, high school highlight tapes, interviews, and day in the life if you want to get a better understanding of him. He's all about winning and the guy he's closest with and his biggest fan is his older brother Noah who has Down syndrome.

Reaction Score
Good lord these quotes.
GIF by Will & Grace

Reaction Score
Aidan grew up 3 miles from St. Mary's. The game I remember the most from Aidan was in 2023 in a home game against Gonzaga where he lit them up and St. Mary's won in OT. Gonzaga started doubling him and conceding open shots for the other St. Mary's players because they couldn't stop him.

If I lived near Moraga, I would try like a hell to get tickets when Gonzaga visited. The home crowd was fire that night in 2023 and the atmosphere looked so fun. I always go to a few UConn home games and I make a trip to Providence to see UConn play against them. And there was no way in the world I was going to miss UConn here in Boston for the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight. I am hoping UConn can play in the first and second round of the NCAAT in Providence for 2025.
Yeah, good call - my son's just old enough now where he's getting into it a little. A local SMC-Gonzaga game would be a great experience for him since it's hard to get to UConn games with him out here. Maybe in a year or two.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The biggest thing with Hass is his on the ball defense and his microwave jolt of energy. His box scores didn't always reflect it, but sometimes it did, there were times in this past season UConn appeared to be slumbering and then when Hass entered and played more the game turned in UConn's favor.

I really hope UConn keeps Hass.
Me too, but I'm not going to sweat it. It's his decision. Why wouldn't he stay?

Reaction Score
This is great news, but the transfer portal is basically an opportunity for coaches to recruit over the guys on their roster. So hopefully SJ, Ball, Stewart, Ross, etc., are prepared to work their butts off this summer, to make sure they get the increased PT they were hoping for.

Reaction Score
Good lord these quotes.
GIF by Will & Grace
I mean wow:
"The coaching staff doesn't rebuild at UConn, they reload," he said. "There is no tiptoeing around the fact that the program is going for it all again, and I am ready to be a part of that journey towards continued greatness. One game at a time, obviously, but the goals at UConn are set the moment you walk into the facilities. National champs."

Reaction Score
Dauster and Goodman seemed to believe he would play a lot of point with a key rotation between Mahaney, Diarra, and Ball, with Nowell playing more spot minutes, at least to start.

Reaction Score
I mean wow:
"The coaching staff doesn't rebuild at UConn, they reload," he said. "There is no tiptoeing around the fact that the program is going for it all again, and I am ready to be a part of that journey towards continued greatness. One game at a time, obviously, but the goals at UConn are set the moment you walk into the facilities. National champs."
Damn right they are!!!! We are so blessed

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Hurley
Lets Go Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness
Holy Sh.t !! Hurley is a freaking genius.
Need a
Center - Reed ✅
Guard - Mahaney ✅
Forward - MeNeelley ✅

This is the part where the voiced concerns about having only successfully recruited Nowell and Abraham as the season was closing, and other teams were working their head start in the portal, lends credence to having some patience and trust about what might well be coming.

5 new guys, a couple questions about returning guys, a loss to the portal, continued courtesy time if somebody feels there's a better opportunity elsewhere, and a combination of known & unknown activity.

Not even the best of the speculators had this complete a picture. How 'bout that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom