After posting a hate-filled rant about his European vacation, a man was berated and mistaken for being an American tourist (he's Canadian) | The Boneyard

After posting a hate-filled rant about his European vacation, a man was berated and mistaken for being an American tourist (he's Canadian)

Reaction Score
Are there typical "ugly Americans" while traveling? Sure, there are. But there are ugly tourists everywhere. I find it interesting how quick non-Americans are to just assume that any time there is bad behavior, it is an American. The Bulgarian living in England who carved his initials into the Colosseum in Rome was, at first, misidentified as American. The lady who went to take a drink out of a fountain, I think also in Rome, also misidentified by many as American. There was a Russian who misbehaved and, at first, was also misidentified as American. There are a lot of examples. I wonder why there seems to be a sizeable number of people, a lot in Europe, who just like to look for any reason to put ALL Americans down. They are ALL "dumb" and so on. Like they have a chip on their shoulder and when you all them out with logic (well, we do have a country of 350+ million) they double and triple down.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've been in Europe enough times that "American" would generally be my first guess as well. I have witnessed embarrassing behavior by my countrymen on every single one of my overseas trips.

That said, American tourists more often than not stand out due to not looking European in how they dress. So I'd want a description of what they're wearing before convicting ;)

However, Americans also do some cool things. One time in Rome, wife and I were waiting in a long taxi queue. Some fancy-dressed Italian and what I assumed to be his courtesan cut the line and got into a cab. Over my wife's protests, I went over the cab and threatened the guy (I was an imposing physical figure compared to most Italians). The cab driver didn't pull away until this guy and his woman exited the vehicle. Once they left, I summoned the next in line and then went back to my spot in line. The queue applauded. I doubt they assumed I was Canadian, lol.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I find it interesting how quick non-Americans are to just assume that any time there is bad behavior, it is an American.
Because it usually is. When it isn't; it's news.

Reaction Score
Depends on the country. Portugal adores Americans. France not so much. Not a universal truth but it does seem to vary by country.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Depends on the country. Portugal adores Americans. France not so much. Not a universal truth but it does seem to vary by country.
In southern Europe, Americans are generally seen as uncouth, uncultured slobs. But that doesn't mean the worst tourists. Americans are often categorized as naive, but generally nice and polite.

The worst tourists title in southern Europe usually goes to Germans, who have been considered the rudest peoples in the EU for decades. Although the Chinese are catching up.

Reaction Score
I’ve worked in International schools in America for the last 14 years, so I’ve developed some “trends” even though it’s a very different context than tourism.

The France thing has more to do with Paris than France as a whole.

Gross generalization, but every South American family we have is generally awesome. Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, Bolivia, Peru…usually super grounded kids and trusting and supporting families. Similar with our Northern European families.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I’ve worked in International schools in America for the last 14 years, so I’ve developed some “trends” even though it’s a very different context than tourism.

The France thing has more to do with Paris than France as a whole.

Gross generalization, but every South American family we have is generally awesome. Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, Bolivia, Peru…usually super grounded kids and trusting and supporting families. Similar with our Northern European families.
When I lived in Mexico, the locals considered Argentinians about the same as we consider the French - snobs who think they're culturally better. Similar to France, it was probably more related to Buenos Aires than the rest of the country, but I found it amusing since Mexicans were completely fine with the French, but found Argentinians annoying A.F.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom