Advanced metric - Team | The Boneyard

Advanced metric - Team

Reaction Score
EvanMiya and Hoop-Explorer both launched more features with more team granularity. It's a dream, but very overwhelming.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
EvanMiya and Hoop-Explorer both launched more features with more team granularity. It's a dream, but very overwhelming.
I hope you'll post some takeaways once you've had time to consume it?

Reaction Score
I hope you'll post some takeaways once you've had time to consume it?
EvanMiya's website is crashing due to interest. But we're #1 after his new update which takes into account how well teams play vs. better or worse teams. We play better vs. better teams.

For Hoop-Explorer, here's an interesting look at our offense:

The height of the bars is how often we run a play vs. the rest of D1. The width of the bars is how often we run a play relative to other playtypes. The color of the bar is how efficient the play-type is for us compared to D1 I believe.

uconn-play-types.png

• We're lethal in transition and attacking the rim, but this is true for most teams. We drive occasionally to the rim, but most teams drive A LOT. Transition is our most common play-type, but only 60th percentile in the country for frequency.
  • We hit the roll man on pick and roll wayyyy more often than other teams, who often use the roll man as more of a distraction (often because their big can't catch or not athletic enough). We also are strong at high low passes, but this isn't a big part of our offense this year (especially compared to last year).
  • Ton of putbacks, as we are a Tom Moore coached team after-all. Though the efficiency isn't particularly strong. We miss a lot of tips and bunnies off follows.
  • A lot of drive and kicks, though this and pick and pops are less efficient than I assumed they'd be only 0.94 ppp.
  • We're pretty good midrange shooters, but like most teams poor off the dibble. We don't take a ton of these shots thankfully.
  • Comparing to other teams, we're quite balanced in our efficiency, no real weaknesses. Here is Villanova's for contrast:
    nova-playtype.png

Reaction Score
EvanMiya's website is crashing due to interest. But we're #1 after his new update which takes into account how well teams play vs. better or worse teams. We play better vs. better teams.

For Hoop-Explorer, here's an interesting look at our offense:

The height of the bars is how often we run a play vs. the rest of D1. The width of the bars is how often we run a play relative to other playtypes. The color of the bar is how efficient the play-type is for us compared to D1 I believe.

uconn-play-types.png

• We're lethal in transition and attacking the rim, but this is true for most teams. We drive occasionally to the rim, but most teams drive A LOT. Transition is our most common play-type, but only 60th percentile in the country for frequency.
  • We hit the roll man on pick and roll wayyyy more often than other teams, who often use the roll man as more of a distraction (often because their big can't catch or not athletic enough). We also are strong at high low passes, but this isn't a big part of our offense this year (especially compared to last year).
  • Ton of putbacks, as we are a Tom Moore coached team after-all. Though the efficiency isn't particularly strong. We miss a lot of tips and bunnies off follows.
  • A lot of drive and kicks, though this and pick and pops are less efficient than I assumed they'd be only 0.94 ppp.
  • We're pretty good midrange shooters, but like most teams poor off the dibble. We don't take a ton of these shots thankfully.
  • Comparing to other teams, we're quite balanced in our efficiency, no real weaknesses. Here is Villanova's for contrast:
    nova-playtype.png
I'm going to have to review this 10x before I get it...kind of like reading the tax code complexity, but a lot more fun!!..

Reaction Score
Here's UConn's play-types since Clingan returned with Clingan ON the court.
kGss85i.png

Main differences from the previous chart (bear in mind this is a smaller sample only against Big East teams):
  • Less dribbling in general. Less rim attacks, less attack and kicks.
  • More rolls to Clingan. More post and kicks. More putbacks. But the efficiency on the putbacks is even worse. It's still about as good as a backdoor cut, so very efficient play in general, but poor compared to the general D1 average on putbacks.
Here is that same post-injury timefame with Clingan OFF the court.
pve7Bj1.png

Takeaways:
  • Clingan off the court we do a lot more ball screen attacking, both to the rim and kicking to shooters. Rim attacks have been lethal, but the shooting on kickouts has been inefficient.
  • Clingan is great as a passer in the DHO, but we don't use Samson in nearly the same way. Our backdoor cuts and post and kicks go way down.
  • Way less offensive rebounding and hitting the roll man.
  • Shooting better on dribble jumpers than kickouts, which has to be a small sample variance.

Reaction Score
Good stuff @auror ...curious what do "offensive" offenses like Virginia's & Rutgers look like in those graphic representations?

Reaction Score
Here's Virginia in conference play.
virginia-play-type.png

And Rutgers in conference play.
rutgers-play-type.png

Note the 80+ %tile and 100th %tile midrange attempts among many many other problems.

Thanks for that…I think…:eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom