ADub weighs in on Chicken Sandwich wars | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ADub weighs in on Chicken Sandwich wars

Reaction Score
The Popeye's sandwich is truly great (I usually go with the spicy). The price used to be outstanding, too, but has been slowly creeping up in my area over the last year (probably along with all chicken everywhere). Popeye's just has the best juicy meat without having a changed mushy brined texture. It's hard to cook a bigger piece of meat as evenly without overcooking but they always nail it.

Chik-Fil-A used to be my favorite, but the portion is disappointing compared to Popeye's. The breading seasoning is great, but it's not as cripsy as Popeye's, and that's really important with this sandwich. I prefer with a simple sauce as opposed to just pickles as well, so it's missing an element for me.

Shack Shake was a real disappointment. The buttermilk herb mayo was pretty interesting and fairly tasty, but the texture of the chicken was over-brined and mushy. All the fibers were denatured by acidity and so the resulting meat is more patty than chicken.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I was at one of my locals the other night and an order of wings was $28, that's the real harbinger of the collapse of civilization.
Ok...so I thought I remembered Bobby Valentine's having 10 cent wing night back in the day. But that seems unfathomable now...am I misremembering?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Fell in love with Mc Donald’s chicken and Burger Kings was horrible.
I haven't waded in these waters yet and I surprised by the early returns. I'm ready to hate on McDonald's because the coating on their tenders is so bad and I assumed it would carry over to the sandwich. And I'm ready to hate on BK's because everything there is awful. Yet, you love McD's and Augie has BK way higher than I ever imagined. I will have to start getting involved.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Ever liked the chicken sandwiches from any of these places that I’ve tried, but recently I’ve tried Mc Donald’s and Burger King. Fell in love with Mc Donald’s chicken and Burger Kings was horrible. Really surprised I like the Mc Donald’s one as much as I do because I don’t like chicken all that much and in the past the old versions were straight garbage. Surprised it’s so far down the list. Gotta try the others listed before it. Didn’t like Popeyes because it was to thick, and Wendy’s and chic fil-a was ok. Of those Mc Donald’s new chicken was easily the best to me.
I just tried the new McDonald's chicken sandwich. Totally underwhelmed. I was surprised they didn't make a better effort to compete.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Any infant with a chicken breast and a deep fryer can make a good chicken sandwich.
It's even easier to cook a hamburger, what's your point?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I know you have all been waiting patiently for this, but the sample size needed to be taken to bring you the most informed information possible (think of me as the anti-chief of Chicken sandos) has grown exponentially in last 2 years as everyone and their brother in the quick service food industry has seemingly daily additions to be considered. As it stands in July 2021, I haven't yet had them all, but I've had more than enough to weigh in on the winners and losers.

So lets get down to business here.

Let's first tip our cap to Chick-Fil-A they were the first to make serious hay serving Chicken Sandwiches which other fast food outlets then tried to mimic the success of. They get credit for that, and their Sandwich is very good. But is it the best available right now? No it's not.

Here are the Sandwiches Ive sampled in the midst of the "wars"

Chick-Fil-A
Mcdonalds
Popeyes
Burger King
Wendy's
Zaxby's
Sonic
Arby's
Shake Shack
KfC
and Ill bonus throw a couple Local places in:
Bird Code
Haven Hot chicken

Lets get something out of the way here, because you are all expecting me to pimp Arby's on this. But they don't have the saying "Always trust content from Adub" around here for nothing. We give honest reviews here. So I'm here to tell you that Arby's was near the bottom of the list here on my Chicken sandwich review. The only one decisively worse was sonic. And Arby's and McDonalds is a tossup for who is better. They were both pedestrian barely adequate offerings in this lane.

Also, lets get Bird Code and Hot Haven off the dais here. They were both very good sandwiches. No problems there. Enjoyable. A little pricey for the category. However, I count at least 5 and possibly 7 of the National chain offerings as being better. Sorry hipsters.
I will not rank them in this list.

Without further ado here is the ranking list.

1)KFC
2)Zaxby's
3) Popeyes
4) (TIE!) Chick Fil-a and Burger King
6)Wendy's
7) Shake Shack
8)McDonalds
9) Arby's
10) Sonic

I will go on later in the thread to comment on the "why's" but lets get some discussion going.

Also interested in other peoples reviews, as I haven't been out west in a while and haven't been able to try the Jack in a Box and Carls jr. offerings yet.

A point of clarification. Is the Burger King entry the new chicken sandwich, just launched in the last couple of months? A second point, were "spicy" variations considered?

Aside from no longer having access to a local KFC, my rankings would mirror yours 2-6. I visit Zaxby's in South Carolina and my local relatives and I agree it beats Chik-Fil-A (and is less crowded). If the BK entry is the new one, in spicy form, I agree with your placement. The traditional one would be much lower.

I'm not sure why anyone gets a chicken sandwich in place of a chili dog at Sonic.

Reaction Score
Bird Code is weird to me. I really like it. but the buns are strange and no matter how I eat it the first bites are just bread the crisp chicken skin and a greasy taste. The chicken is great and I love the cheese fries. I just don't understand why the patty itself is so off-balance proportionally.

Reaction Score
Ok...so I thought I remembered Bobby Valentine's having 10 cent wing night back in the day. But that seems unfathomable now...am I misremembering?
Same place I used to go for 25 cent wing night not too many years ago.

Food prices have gone up everywhere but it's really crazy with wings. Wing prices have gone up 100%, chicken farms can't find workers and fryer oil prices have gone up 120%.

Reaction Score
Going to need to do more research on Zaxby’s this next week. At least where I am, Chick Fil A is the most consistent. Plus for having the best sauce options. Spicy only.

I would never think it’s possible for a place like McDonalds to do anything quality like this because fried chicken HAS to be made and breaded fresh to even be halfway decent. I’m surprised with the positive BK reviews. I feel like there is certainly a location to location factor with these too.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As a general matter, I don't eat fast food.

Almost 3 years ago, I dipped my toes back into the marketplace, doing some online searches and following up on a bunch of ranking articles and videos in search of the best chicken nuggets. Chik-Fil-A was indeed the clear winner on friendliness, cleanliness, and taste 6 days til Sunday. I've got no interest in fast food sides, so I was in and out (I know) quickly with as few as 4 or 6 nuggets at a cheap price on a portion that wasn't large enough to trigger remorse except for crossing someone genuine political sympathy boundaries. It was infrequent, and I rationalized that those with whom I am allied have their vices and inconsistencies that I don't hassle them about. And I've endured many a fellow liberal-leaner's indifference, criticism, shade, mocking, push back, minimization, and such on a particular area that has some meaning and full validity for me, so I'm not guilt-wracked, while also having understanding for dimensions grievance by self-claiming oppressed majorities, because I see something similar in the defensive blind spots of many dear social justice pals and intimates. But that's off topic.

Enter the chicken sandwich.

I barely take a whiff of the NBA until they've whittled away more than half the teams, which means that the 2nd Round Playoffs might possibly compete for my time with playing outside until dark and then getting ready for bed. From that, I'll estimate that it was during a 2019 Conference Semi game that Popeye's ran an ad that did exactly the old school definition of an ad's purpose was: get you to TRY the product or service ONCE, after which whatever was being touted was on its own. Everything thereafter is brand-building or brand-management. Somewhere you can find the story about how Gablinger's -,the original reduced carb bee - was a smashing success in generating interest until people actually tasted the Matt's Brewing product, whereupon it died a horrible death because it was so bad, and the category was only revived by Miller Lite taking a chance on, the "Tastes great" vs. "Less filling" angle.

In the commercial, a patient was lying down on the couch recounting his compulsion to have a moist & crunchy, perfectly-spiced, boneless breast chicken sandwich that came on a buttered brioche bun (or some such). There were lip-smacking jump-cuts to a clearly aroused woman therapist who was shown hurrying out the door before the commercial ended. I was on the hunt within a couple days, and locked myself into the locations and hours and prouct quality at the Hamden, Whalley-Goffe downtown, Kimberly Avenue, and Milford truck stop area outlets before the whole thing blew up into a nationwide phenomenon and exhausted supply. The management & emploee attitudes, staffing irregularities, and cleanliness profiles varied, but bad experiences were not going to make me stop seeking the solid $4.28 value that was available on short notice until late hours, and sometimes gave me a NoLa soundtrack if I lingered inside.

I endured the supply disruption, and rebooted along with the initially overtaken management. I was even there when Whalley Ave was already packed with Yale AND Harvard faithful even before the rivalry football game ended in dark skies after 2OTs on top of a halftime climate change protest delay, whereupon I experienced the huge swell as hordes arrived surprising quickly from Westville when the afternoon-into-evening at the Yale Bowl ended. So yeah, I got some history and affinity. I even mentioned a bit of it here at the time, to no great response, but no biggie.

It took COVID to make Popeye's too sketchy for me, and by the time I was ready to return, there was the current chicken sandwich competition that gives rise to this thread. I did some new reading, and it looked like KFC was the most legitimate contender, so I gave it a try in either West Haven or Orange. It was OK, but not as flavorful as Popeye's, which was the same as my Chik-Fil-A opinion.

Tbh, I've only had 2 Popeye's since vaccination, both satisfying, and both from the Goffe St drive-thru, which requires forethought in planning both one's entry and exit route, and also greater conscious than elsewhere driving up to the window which is at an odd angle. Of course, you can always enter the dining room from the parking lot accessed by Whalley Ave just past the Broadway Triangle parking lot at the western border of The Shops at Yale, across he street from the Courtyard by Marriott. Not sure if the walk-up window at the far end of the lot is still operating, but it's a fun alternative that many don't choose. It shares staff with the drive-up. Bollards separate cars from any Whaley-Goffe travel. The location is open late. Overall, i's been reliable, as some say here, "from the gekko." Call it my home court.

I don't think there are any Zaxby's within the Big East footprint, so the best I can do is take @August_West's rankings as a prompt to try another KFC. It's not as though I disliked the KFC, not all. I'm just not a fast food guy, but if I've got a good second choice, fine. Popeye's is pretty much as convenient to me as BK, maybe a BOGO coupon could get me to the window. And maybe there'll even a Whalley Avenue side-by-side-by-side some day on my way to Westville from downtown. Dunno.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've been working on my BMI in line with the prior posts so I've avoided many of these sandwiches lately. It's a weakness! That being said, here are some comments (not in order of preference):

1) Wendy's. I'm giving the win to Wendy's as the OG. When everyone else was doing bland, processed chicken, they had a legit spicy breast. Like all things Wendy's, the chicken sandwiches are totally inconsistent, but still solid.

2) BK. I'm assuming there is a new sandwich, and not that fake, vaguely subshaped patty with a pound of mayo? If so, I can't speak for it. If not, and you are ranking that crap as number 1, I don't know what to say. Maybe it's because you put ketchup on it!

3) Chick fil A. Quality. A bit small for my liking, but it's good. I don't like the company, but whatever.

4) Popeyes. I actually haven't had the sandwich. I like Popeyes in the past, but my wife won't let me go there. We were hungry and I said we should go to Popeyes. She said no way and I told her she shouldn't judge it from commercials. She still said no. I put my foot down and pulled into the parking lot. She followed me in skeptically. I thought I'd win the battle, but there was nobody in there less than 300 pounds (other than the morbidly obese pre-teens) and one person even had a rolling oxygen tank. I ordered out of spite, but knew I had lost that battle.

5) Zaxby's. Intrigued by the commercials, but I don't think we have them by us.

6) Shake Schack. Good, but overpriced.

7) Hattie B's (or other Nashville Hot Chicken). Man I love legit Nashville Hot Chicken.

Reaction Score
Maybe I’m just comparing Mc Donald’s chicken against what it used to be because if they were giving them away I wouldn’t have taken them. Now it tastes like real chicken which isn’t saying much, but it tastes good to me, I really don’t mind eating it, before I was totally against anything Mc Donald’s but now I’m not mad if I’m forced by time or any other reason to grab one on my lunch break.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I'm not really a big fry person but the new KFC fries are good. The perfect compliment to the chicken sandwich honestly.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I know you have all been waiting patiently for this, but the sample size needed to be taken to bring you the most informed information possible (think of me as the anti-chief of Chicken sandos) has grown exponentially in last 2 years as everyone and their brother in the quick service food industry has seemingly daily additions to be considered. As it stands in July 2021, I haven't yet had them all, but I've had more than enough to weigh in on the winners and losers.

So lets get down to business here.

Let's first tip our cap to Chick-Fil-A they were the first to make serious hay serving Chicken Sandwiches which other fast food outlets then tried to mimic the success of. They get credit for that, and their Sandwich is very good. But is it the best available right now? No it's not.

Here are the Sandwiches Ive sampled in the midst of the "wars"

Chick-Fil-A
Mcdonalds
Popeyes
Burger King
Wendy's
Zaxby's
Sonic
Arby's
Shake Shack
KfC
and Ill bonus throw a couple Local places in:
Bird Code
Haven Hot chicken

Lets get something out of the way here, because you are all expecting me to pimp Arby's on this. But they don't have the saying "Always trust content from Adub" around here for nothing. We give honest reviews here. So I'm here to tell you that Arby's was near the bottom of the list here on my Chicken sandwich review. The only one decisively worse was sonic. And Arby's and McDonalds is a tossup for who is better. They were both pedestrian barely adequate offerings in this lane.

Also, lets get Bird Code and Hot Haven off the dais here. They were both very good sandwiches. No problems there. Enjoyable. A little pricey for the category. However, I count at least 5 and possibly 7 of the National chain offerings as being better. Sorry hipsters.
I will not rank them in this list.

Without further ado here is the ranking list.

1)KFC
2)Zaxby's
3) Popeyes
4) (TIE!) Chick Fil-a and Burger King
6)Wendy's
7) Shake Shack
8)McDonalds
9) Arby's
10) Sonic

I will go on later in the thread to comment on the "why's" but lets get some discussion going.

Also interested in other peoples reviews, as I haven't been out west in a while and haven't been able to try the Jack in a Box and Carls jr. offerings yet.
While doing research for this, did you ADub your weight? ADub your cholesterol? ADub your chance of a massive coronary?

These are the questions...

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
How does anyone go to McDonald’s and come away underwhelmed?

You went to a McDonalds….what were your expectations?
To have a chicken sandwich as good as burger King? I didn't think that would be asking too much. I think of BK as the worst of all large fast food chains. They kicked McD butt on this.

Reaction Score
To have a chicken sandwich as good as burger King? I didn't think that would be asking too much. I think of BK as the worst of all large fast food chains. They kicked McD butt on this.
It is really bad. Somehow the McChicken is better. Also, BK isn't great but the whopper really isn't bad.

Reaction Score
The Popeye's sandwich is truly great (I usually go with the spicy). The price used to be outstanding, too, but has been slowly creeping up in my area over the last year (probably along with all chicken everywhere). Popeye's just has the best juicy meat without having a changed mushy brined texture. It's hard to cook a bigger piece of meat as evenly without overcooking but they always nail it.

Chik-Fil-A used to be my favorite, but the portion is disappointing compared to Popeye's. The breading seasoning is great, but it's not as cripsy as Popeye's, and that's really important with this sandwich. I prefer with a simple sauce as opposed to just pickles as well, so it's missing an element for me.

Shack Shake was a real disappointment. The buttermilk herb mayo was pretty interesting and fairly tasty, but the texture of the chicken was over-brined and mushy. All the fibers were denatured by acidity and so the resulting meat is more patty than chicken.
Speaking of Popeyes, does the price go down as you increase the size for anyone else? That's how it is by me and I can't figure out if it's intentional or a mistake that they hopefully don't realize

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
My Fast Food Fried Chicken Sandwich Rankings from what I’ve had:

1) Popeyes

2) Zaxby’s
3) Chick-Fil-A

4) Burger King
5) KFC
6) Wendy’s

7) McDonalds

Popeyes speaks to my soul.
Couldn’t agree more on Popeyes. To me, it shouldn’t be part of this thread because it’s fine dining.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For me it's Popeye's and Chick Fil A and then all the rest.

Two different sandwiches. Popeye's is a substantial piece of meat and bun and eating one of those is a meal by itself. Chick Fil A's are perfect for eating in the car while on the move. You can easily knock down two sandwiches and not feel overwhelmed. Chick Fil A's packaging also makes it perfect for grab and go at an airport and eating it 30-40 minutes later on the plane. Sure, it's a soggy bun by then but the chicken meat is still hot and you can shovel it down.

Popeye's pissed me off when I first tried and ordered a spicy sandwich, hold the mayo. The cashier told me the mayo is the spice. There is no difference in the seasoning between regular and spicy. Big time no go for me. Need some heat in the breading. Ideally heat should be in a buttermilk bath the chicken sits in prior to breading.

I still go with Chick Fil A for the ease and versatility.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I highly doubt any infants own a deep fryer.
200.gif

I think it's being introduced this Christmas.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom