Adjustments | The Boneyard

Adjustments

Reaction Score
We came out hitting the offensive boards hard after halftime, especially Martin. Martin also made his layups unlike in the first half.

That Sanogo high post passing to cutters was new in the 2nd half. In general we settled down a bit more in half court and ran more stuff.

Cole was 0-fer in 1st half and made those 2 early midrange jumpers which gave the whole team more confidence as we went on a run.

D was good both halves, but certainly stepped up another half notch in 2nd (led to a few more fouls, but you live with it if it's not extreme). By the last quarter, we were really hounding their ball handlers even several feet beyond 3pt line. It led to that Gaffney steal and the Jackson shot clock violation. Not sure how much the Thompson injury played into that in the last few minutes. Gaffney I thought specifically played good D in 2nd half.

Chuck Harris cooling off also helped. I think they were 1/7 on 3s in 2nd half.

Reaction Score
Ok. Credit to Hurley. But do you really think the adjustment he made was to tell the team at halftime to “get the ball to tyrese and get out of his way.” I mean, if that’s what coach said, he’s brilliant.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I said it during the rough stretch. But nobody questions the coach when players make shots. That’s how you win games.

Reaction Score
They ran a few nice plays out of tv timeouts. Hurley called timeouts at the right time instead of hoarding them until the last 2 minutes.

People want the second coming of JC (Jim Calhoun) to come coach the team, but remember Calhoun is one of the very best to do it. It could be argued that he belongs on the 'Mt. Rushmore' of men's college basketball coaches. Hurley is a good coach, but there is certainly room for improvement.

The team looked slow in the first half except of Sanogo and Whaley. Nice to see Whaley looking spry and energetic again.

ElmCity40th

F…y’all talkin bout?
Reaction Score
Coach Hurley coached a good game. He stuck with the guys who were getting it done. The players turned it up on defense in the 2nd half fought and found a way to avoid a trap loss. Rese came through as the closer. It’s college bb, teams take bad loses all the time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We came out hitting the offensive boards hard after halftime, especially Martin. Martin also made his layups unlike in the first half.

That Sanogo high post passing to cutters was new in the 2nd half. In general we settled down a bit more in half court and ran more stuff.

Cole was 0-fer in 1st half and made those 2 early midrange jumpers which gave the whole team more confidence as we went on a run.

D was good both halves, but certainly stepped up another half notch in 2nd (led to a few more fouls, but you live with it if it's not extreme). By the last quarter, we were really hounding their ball handlers even several feet beyond 3pt line. It led to that Gaffney steal and the Jackson shot clock violation. Not sure how much the Thompson injury played into that in the last few minutes. Gaffney I thought specifically played good D in 2nd half.

Right. Sonogo showed something on some of those passes in the 2nd half. Still a bulldog but you can tell he's at least making a better effort to kick out / dish when needed. Only going to make him tougher to defend.

Reaction Score
To be fair this was a 3 point game with 4 minutes left in the contest before Butler ran out of gas and quit. Butler is a terrible team. They might not win another game the rest of the season but it’s good that we took care of business and on to 3 winnable games before we play Villanova.

Reaction Score
To be fair this was a 3 point game with 4 minutes left in the contest before Butler ran out of gas and quit. Butler is a terrible team. They might not win another game the rest of the season but it’s good that we took care of business and on to 3 winnable games before we play Villanova.
Actually remarkable Butler folded faster than a lawn chair on the 4th of July after fireworks end. Jordan is a dead man walking and their terrible, obnoxious fans get what they deserve.

Reaction Score
Hurley toying with combinations, dealing with early foul trouble, allowing AJ some slack on more offensive aggressiveness, giving Hawk more time than usual......all the things he clearly mentioned after the last game. Easily the opportunity.

At halftime, back to the core with a better handle, unexpected and expected contributions from all.
For sure, it's still a box of Munson's Chocolates......like mama says.

Reaction Score
No one has mentioned the largest decision that Hurley made last night. Permanent or not, he took away Akok's minutes, gave Polley far more minutes at the 4 than he's been getting when everyone is healthy, and used the increased minutes available on the wing (since Polley wasn't playing there) to let Gaffney play some alongside Cole.

Well, the largest decision other than using halftime to tell everyone to stop missing shots and start making them.

Reaction Score
No one has mentioned the largest decision that Hurley made last night. Permanent or not, he took away Akok's minutes, gave Polley far more minutes at the 4 than he's been getting when everyone is healthy, and used the increased minutes available on the wing (since Polley wasn't playing there) to let Gaffney play some alongside Cole.

Well, the largest decision other than using halftime to tell everyone to stop missing shots and start making them.
When Gaff plays like that it’s a nice lineup
Tyler is much more dependable now and looks more comfortable out there

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Ok. Credit to Hurley. But do you really think the adjustment he made was to tell the team at halftime to “get the ball to tyrese and get out of his way.” I mean, if that’s what coach said, he’s brilliant.
d- for paying attention in class.
they showed coach in the huddle, first half where we had plenty of shots, telling the gang 'i don't get it, get to the o glass - wake up!'
sumtimes, leadership is nothing more than pointing out repeated mistakes.
coaching -have sum!

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

I also think the focused D on the top scorers from the first game was an adjustment as well

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We were +3 rebounding at halftime. +14 at the end of the game.

This might have something to do with the fact that Butler sucks. It wasn't Hurley's fault that the players were not playing smart in the first half, but I cam not going to give him credit for halftime adjustments, because there weren't any. UConn is just better than Butler.

Hurley is doing a lot right. I like the recruiting, and there are clear signs of good player development, which is the most important thing a coach can do. But Hurley consistently looks outmatched on game day. He needs to fix this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom