2021 Recruiting: - Additional Scholly | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Additional Scholly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now that we have an extra scholly available due to JFB transferring, who would you like the staff to target for that last scholly? A shooting wing to cover for bouknight or a big to provide cover/competition for Sanogo?

Reaction Score
I wonder if we will have a 5 person freshman class or if Hurley goes towards the transfer portal/grad transfer route or even a reclass. Either way, with Sool, Samson, and Hawkins plus 2 more spots there’s going to be some great new talent next year

Reaction Score
2021 class is basically all commited.

I'd guess a 2022 reclass and a grad transfer.

Grad transfer I'd like to see a reliable pure scorer at the 2/3 to replace Bouk. 2022 reclass could be any position really. Probably another wing.

Reaction Score
Why not a return a senior if one is willing. Let’s speculate.
Whaley it would be nice but he is 23*years old and a pretty hot commodity in 2021possIbly even getting drafted especially if he shows range.
The best pure Athlete and if he establishes a shot he could make serious money in his future.
Carlton is 22*but probable has maxed out Career wise Don’t get me wrong he certainly would help a young Big group. But minimal advantage for him unless he wants a MBA.
Polley is also 22* I got the feeling he has not maxed out and another year could be financially beneficial. Having a proven shooter back helps the post Bouknight offense. I saw things the other night like shooting off his dribble,
beating his guy on the baseline and an end to end break that bode well for his future
He may want to test the waters this year but improving those skills increasing his strength will increase his $$$ potential.
Just a thought

Reaction Score
Whaley it would be nice but he is 23*years old and a pretty hot commodity in 2021possIbly even getting drafted especially if he shows range.
The best pure Athlete and if he establishes a shot he could make serious money in his future.
Carlton is 22*but probable has maxed out Career wise Don’t get me wrong he certainly would help a young Big group. But minimal advantage for him unless he wants a MBA.
Polley is also 22* I got the feeling he has not maxed out and another year could be financially beneficial. Having a proven shooter back helps the post Bouknight offense. I saw things the other night like shooting off his dribble,
beating his guy on the baseline and an end to end break that bode well for his future
He may want to test the waters this year but improving those skills increasing his strength will increase his $$$ potential.
Just a thought
If any of the seniors come back they won't use up one of the 2 open scholarships

Reaction Score
If any of the seniors come back they won't use up one of the 2 open scholarships
But then would they get the scholarship money if they don’t use one of the scholarship spots?

Reaction Score
But then would they get the scholarship money if they don’t use one of the scholarship spots?
Yes, UConn would have to agree to offer them a scholarship for the 2021-22 year which is another factor for schools to consider. They would still be a scholarship player, just for the one season UConn's limit could be anywhere from 13 (no seniors return) to 16 (Whaley/Carlton/Polley return)

Reaction Score
Maybe because of Polley's ACL he gets a chance to come back?

Reaction Score
I’d take any of the seniors back next year because there is nothing to lose in terms of scholarships. From a team standpoint, both Whaley and Polley would be very much needed. Polley for his shooting and Whaley because he’s just awesome and any team could use him. I’m hoping Sanogo will be good enough to make up for the loss of Carlton. If not, Josh can stay too.

One thing we don’t want to do is keep these guys for another year and lose another good, young player to transfer as a result.

I’d love to get a transfer point guard with proven high major skills and a solid jumper and/or a shooting guard that can actually shoot.

Reaction Score
Just a thought
Honest question, is there anywhere other than this board that is talking about Whaley possibly getting drafted? I love his improvement as much as anyone and what he means to this team, but drafted? Would love to see some objective analysis suggesting that.

Reaction Score
Honest question, is there anywhere other than this board that is talking about Whaley possibly getting drafted? I love his improvement as much as anyone and what he means to this team, but drafted? Would love to see some objective analysis suggesting that.
I think they mean internationally.

Reaction Score
Save em for c/o22. There’s no chance we’ll grab an impact player, they’re already off the boards. But c/o22 is a really good class and we’ve been targeting a few top 50 guys.

Reaction Score
Save em for c/o22. There’s no chance we’ll grab an impact player, they’re already off the boards. But c/o22 is a really good class and we’ve been targeting a few top 50 guys.

I think we have learned our lesson with scholarships. Get a grad transfer or 2022 reclass if that's how you want to go--never leave if open.

Reaction Score
Yes, UConn would have to agree to offer them a scholarship for the 2021-22 year which is another factor for schools to consider. They would still be a scholarship player, just for the one season UConn's limit could be anywhere from 13 (no seniors return) to 16 (Whaley/Carlton/Polley return)
If we have good news on the 14th.. Could he reclass??

Reaction Score
If we have good news on the 14th.. Could he reclass??
He turns 17 on the 14th (announcing on his birthday), so he's 4 months younger than Brown relative to their class. Seems unlikely he's a reclass candidate

Reaction Score
He turns 17 on the 14th (announcing on his birthday), so he's 4 months younger than Brown relative to their class. Seems unlikely he's a reclass candidate
Just curious.. Didn't know if he was on an accelerated academic program of some kind where a combination of a higher course load(in the spring) and maybe summer school in Storrs could satisfy Admissions..

Stuff that ACC schools do to get their signees on campus..

Reaction Score
Can we get Clingan here now?
I don't know why people say this. If you had a son or daughter who is a junior in a public high school give me your path to graduate this June. I mean you have to graduate to start college at UConn. This ain't Louisville! If you have good ideas forward them to the Clingan family.

I think it's better to space Sanogo and Clingan by 2 years anyway. You can sell Clingan that there's a good chance Sanogo is gone by the time he gets to UConn.

Reaction Score
I don't know why people say this. If you had a son or daughter who is a junior in a public high school give me your path to graduate this June. I mean you have to graduate to start college at UConn. This ain't Louisville! If you have good ideas forward them to the Clingan family.

I think it's better to space Sanogo and Clingan by 2 years anyway. You can sell Clingan that there's a good chance Sanogo is gone by the time he gets to UConn.
The comment was made tongue in cheek, but I can appreciate your passion

Reaction Score

I think so many people say this a lot because so many kids reclass back a year in high school and then go back to their original class because of school interest, which is clearly not the case with Clingan.

Reaction Score
Wait, could someone explain why any of the seniors would be eligible? Was there some rule change that gives a fifth year of eligibility?

Reaction Score
Wait, could someone explain why any of the seniors would be eligible? Was there some rule change that gives a fifth year of eligibility?

Because of COVID, everyone who is currently playing (all the way down to freshmen) get an additional year of eligibility if they want it. Additionally, seniors who come back for an additional year don't count against the team scholarship limit for next year. If an underclassmen came back for a 5th year, however, they would count against the limit.

So if Whaley/Polley/Carlton come back, we could technically use 13 scholarships plus those 3 not counting against our limit, so 16 total.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom