Adama Sanogo v. Jeff Adrien | The Boneyard

Adama Sanogo v. Jeff Adrien

Reaction Score
I was watching the Stanley Robinson Dunk Mix in the favorite plays thread, and saw a lot of Adrien play in that video.

I feel like their playing style is extremely similar.

I understand that Adama is a superior offensive player, and has developed a 3 point shot. But adrien was money from 15ft and a 3 point shot would never be allowed by JC in that era. Adrien was clearly the superior passer. They are both undersized for their position but use excellent footwork to make up for that disadvantage.

Also, Adrien averaged 15 ppg and 9rbg his junior year, on a stacked offensive team similar to this seasons team.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I think they are very similar players; Jeff at the elbow was automatic, and he vacuumed up rebounds. Adama has the size and weight advantage (probably 4" of real height) but I would take Adrien at this point. Honestly, on this team Adrien would make a great 4 with Clingan as long as you spaced them with shooters. That rebounding would be absurd.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Adama is better inside of 5'. Jeff was better out to 15', and a better rebounder and had the nasty streak of honey badger. Adama would do himself well to watch tape of Jeff and his attitude of owning the paint.

Jeff's wingspan was massive and he was as strong as a tree trunk.

Reaction Score
Jeff was more aggressive. Adama is more skilled. Not sure if that makes sense. They have different play styles. Calhoun coached a lot of aggressive bigs. Adama lets his skill talk for him.

Reaction Score
I’d say Sanogo’s skill set more mimics Okafor’s. Similar presence around the basket. Okafor was a superior shot blocker and pretty much only produced around the rim, but then again, that’s how 6’10” players played 20 years ago. They all have a perimeter game now….the good ones, anyway. Which is why you see Sanogo taking 3’s. Keep in mind, at 6’9”, he needs a perimeter game or he’s in no man’s land in the NBA.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sanogo is better and more versatile offensively, Adrien was a better rebounder. I like Sanogo's skillset more for this team.

Not that it has anything to do with who is a better player and who was more well-suited for the teams they played on, but if they played one on one who would you take?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The problem with these threads is that it's impossible to make your case for one guy without somehow denigrating the other guy.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
In any thread like this, I make no choice between two players I like so much.

Here, I simply repeat that Adrien would have crushed George Mason down the stretch and gotten the Huskies into the 2006 Final 4.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't think they are all too similar playing styles.

Sanogo is an elite low post player with great footwork and holds his own defensively. Plays with a calm demeanor.

Adrien had a bit of a low post game but was pure bruiser/bully ball, then as others noted a pretty nice foul line/elbow j. An absolute dog on D and an elite rebounder.

Two great Huskies though. Adrien happens to be my favorite Husky of all time so I give him the edge.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Different players, different roles, different eras. Adama is bigger than Jeff was, and is a center. Jeff was never a center, he was a PF and sometimes undersized. Yes times were different. A guy who had no outside shot could be a PF. Sanogo a better player overall, but Adrien was a great player.

caw

Reaction Score
Adrien had good footwork in the post, but Adama's footwork is a level above (almost like a dancer).

Adrien was a better rebounder.

Adama has better touch at the rim, I feel like Adrien dunked more.

Different players, different roles, different eras. Adama is bigger than Jeff was, and is a center. Jeff was never a center, he was a PF and sometimes undersized. Yes times were different. A guy who had no outside shot could be a PF. Sanogo a better player overall, but Adrien was a great player.
Adrien oddly played more center in the NBA than at UConn.

Reaction Score
I was watching the Stanley Robinson Dunk Mix in the favorite plays thread, and saw a lot of Adrien play in that video.

I feel like their playing style is extremely similar.

I understand that Adama is a superior offensive player, and has developed a 3 point shot. But adrien was money from 15ft and a 3 point shot would never be allowed by JC in that era. Adrien was clearly the superior passer. They are both undersized for their position but use excellent footwork to make up for that disadvantage.

Also, Adrien averaged 15 ppg and 9rbg his junior year, on a stacked offensive team similar to this seasons team.

Thoughts?
Adrien was undersized. If he were AS size he wouldve been even more of a beast than he already was.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom